Pitch vs. Pitch
The ultimate showdown between softball and baseball
- a MLB pitcher pitches an average of 90 mph
- a fastpitch pitcher can pitch up to 70mph
- on a softball field the mound is 37 feet away from home plate
- on a baseball field the mound is 60 feet six inches away from home plate
- a softball pitched at 70 mph can cross home plate in .35 seconds
- a baseball pitched at 100 mph can cross home plate in .38 seconds
- a batter facing a fastpitch pitcher has .025 seconds to react to the ball
- a batter facing a baseball pitcher has .055 seconds to react to the ball
Don't believe the results? Watch the videos below
"EASTON THE FAST VS THE FURIOUS." YouTube. Easton Baseball Softball, 30 July 2010. Web. 05 May 2016.
Judge, Lee. "Judging the Royals." The Kansas City Star. The Kansas City Star, 11 Aug. 2015. Web. 4 May 2016.
"Softball Pitch vs Baseball Pitch." YouTube. Egreensoftball, 3 Feb. 2013. Web. 05 May 2016.
Trifoso, Sarah. "The Science Of Softball Vs. Baseball." Odyssey. Olympia Media Group, 22 Mar. 2016. Web. 05 May 2016.
Turbow, Jason. "The Truth about Velocity." SBNation.com. Vox Media, 18 June 2014. Web. 05 May 2016.