By: Kali Egr
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Iron Deficiency
- Zinc Deficiency
- Calcium and Bone loss
- Low cholesterol levels
- Lower bone mineral density
- Insufficient levels of Omega- 3 fatty acids
- lower risk for obesity
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Lower risk for colorectal, ovarian, and breast cancer
- According to the Mediterranean eating pattern vegetarians have a better chance of living longer than those who eat meat
Vegetarians CAN'T eat red meat this includes: Beef, Lamb, and Pork.
Most people assume that seafood is included in a vegetarians diet, but it is NOT.
Vegetarians DO NOT eat any type of poultry this includes: chicken, duck, and turkey.
How many vegetarians?
- According to a Harris Interactive poll commissioned by the Vegetarian Resource Group about 6 to 8 million adults in the U.S. eat no meat, fish, or poultry.
- Several million more have eliminated red meat but still eat chicken or fish.
- 5% of the U.S. does not eat meat.
- Vegans ( Total vegetarians)
- Lacto- ovo Vegetarians ( No fish, meat, poultry)
- Lacto Vegetarians ( consumes dairy, but no meat)
- Partial vegetarians ( no meat, eats some fish and poultry)
Foods they CAN eat
- Leafy Greens
- Dried fruits
- Other vegetables
- Veggie burgers