NATHAN ADAMS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Welcome to Week 19
January is Board Appreciation Month-Nathan Adams Appreciates Trustee Edwin Flores!
Nathan Adams is Celebrating the Chinese New Year
Our Explore China Program has been very successful this semester. We are continuing the success with celebrating the Chinese New Year. 2016 will be the Year of the Monkey according to the Chinese zodiac. The Year of the Monkey will start from Feb. 8, 2016 (Chinese New Year) and last to Jan. 27, 2017. The JK Wong Academy will be coming to our campus in early February (Date TBD) to perform an interactive Chinese Lion Dance along with other traditional activities. Weather permitting we will go to blacktop and enjoy the performance together with parents and community members.
Years of the Monkey: 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016, 2028
The monkey is a clever animal. During the Spring and Autumn Period (770 - 476 BC), the dignified Chinese official title of marquis was pronounced 'Hou', the same as the pronunciation of ‘monkey’ in Chinese. The animal was thereby bestowed with an auspicious meaning.
Chinese: 猴 hóu
Message From Principal Renaud
I hope that you enjoyed your Winter Break and had lots of opportunities to spend time with family and friends. We were so excited to welcome our students back for another wonderful semester!
We closed out December with a variety of exciting events. A special thanks for those of you who came out and participated. Students took the district ACP exams and I am proud to share the school, WT White Feeder and district results with you below. Although testing involves lots of adjustments, I would like to say that we had an extremely smooth administration due to Ms. Johnson and her team's organizational and leadership skills. Each staff member did a fantastic job monitoring and administering the exams to our students and it was evident that our students were focused and put forth their best effort.
In closing, I would like to thank you all for the wonderful holiday cards and gifts. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness. 2016 Will be the BEST YEAR EVER!
Nathan Adams Semester Data Results
Parent-Teacher Conference Week Jan 11 - Jan 15 - Please check with your child’s teacher for your assigned time
Events This Week
Tuesday, January 12
· First Grade Dental Program sponsored by the Masonic Lodge 9:30 in the auditorium
· No after school Tutoring
· No Chess Club
Thursday, January 14
· No after school Tutoring
· Book Fair 8:00 – 7:30 in the library
· Parent Conferences 3:30 – 7:30
Friday, January 15
· Book Fair 8:00 – 3:30 in the library
Monday, January 18 – NO SCHOOL in celebration of MLK day
Monday, January 18 – 21 – Book Fair in the library
Tuesday, January 19 – After School Tutoring and Chess Club resumes
Tuesday, January 19 – PTSA meeting 6:00 in the library
Friday January 29-Coffee With the Principal
Nathan Adams Writing Wonderland Initiative
New student writings will be posted on the Writing Wonderland Board each 6 weeks.
Our next writing prompt is My Favorite Thing About Winter Is....
Please post on the Writing Wonderland Wall by Jan 15th.
Student transfer period for the 2016-2017 school year is now open. To complete your application on line please visit this link:
Express Yourself-Youth Poetry Competition
About the Competition
- Sixty finalists will each receive a medal and a copy of the poetry anthology.
- All finalists will be invited to an award ceremony on April 23, 2016, and have their work published by the Dallas Public Library in a bound anthology.
- One finalist will be selected to receive the Joe M. and Doris Russell Dealey Fund Award of Achievement, and two finalists will each receive a Junior Award.
- All qualified poems will be judged on originality and structure.
- All qualified poems will be judged separately in the following grade categories:
2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12.
- All finalists will be notified by email by March 31, 2016.
Rules . . . please read carefully
- Poems must be the writer's own work and may not be submitted without the poet's knowledge and consent.
- All poets must be in grades 2-12 and live in the City of Dallas or attend a Dallas school.
- All entries must be received or postmarked (if mailed) by January 31, 2016. No entries will be returned.
- Entries must not exceed 20 lines.
- Only one entry per poet.
- Electronic submissions are preferred. Please type in Microsoft Word using standard fonts.
- Poems not submitted electronically must be typed or written in blue or black ink on the back of the entry form. Please do not staple poem to entry form. If the judges cannot read the poet's handwriting, the poem will be disqualified.
- All decisions of the judging committees are final.
- The poetry competition is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, or misdirected mail.