Arctic Light Elementary School
April 3, 2019
April 8th-18th - PEAKs Testing
April 27th - Daddy-Daughter Dance
Principal Keener's Message...
Thinking about next year? We are.
A successful school year starts months in advance. We are currently assessing student progress and adjusting our instructional programming accordingly. We are designing an improved math program and exploring new Encores for our Intermediate students. Additionally, we are revamping our Science Program now that we have received the 5-Year STEM Grant (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). Did I mention new hires and new professional development topics? We’re excited.
I hear much is happening on Wainwright. We are planning now to successfully support our students and families during the upcoming deployment. Communication is key to any relationship. Our front office staff know it starts the moment you walk in the door, really it starts when families learn they’re moving here and check-out our website. Keeping our families informed is step one in our team effort to educate and help grow your child.
April is the month of the Military Child. Our goal is to support all students safely and successfully when at Arctic Light. May our students feel the benefits of our efforts to improve their educational experience. Similarly, we want our families to feel the support during these next months and during the upcoming deployment.
Keep us posted. It is the synergy of all of our efforts that make the biggest benefit for our students. Starting today you can join our PTA, become a classroom volunteer, or consider working at our school. Your ideas, engagement, and communication will make all the difference in your child’s successful time here at Arctic Light.
Keep us posted.
Baseball Skills Camp
Saturday, April 13th, 10am-2:30pm
901 Airport Way
- Infield and Outfield Fundamentals
- Batting Approaches
- Base Running
- Skills for the Upcoming Season
For Ages: 9-12
Cost: $25 per player/ Lunch Provided
Contact: Nate (907) 590-4585
Planning Ahead - Early Withdrawal for the Year
A common question concerns a student receiving a report card before the end of school. For many families this is due to travel to another post. Below are some guidelines and please engage our front staff as soon as you can.
Leaving before April 22, 2019
· Arctic Light issues withdrawal grades and student must report to next school to complete school year
Leaving between April 22 – May 3, 2019
· Arctic Light issues withdrawal grades and student enrollment in next school is highly recommended
Leaving after May 3, 2019
· Arctic Light issues final grades and teacher recommends placement for next year
Please talk with our staff if you are planning an early withdrawal. We want to help plan the best educational program for your child.
PE Department Receives Large Donation
This week our PE Department received a $2500 donation! This wonderful gift was donated by Tony Taylor and his music company, Muzic Medicine. Tony has been throwing MANY fundraisers over the last few months to help support PE, Music, and Mental Health in our school district. Tony is a true community supporter for our kids. This wonderful donation will be used to purchase our own set of brand-new archery equipment! If you get the chance take a look at what Tony Taylor and his company, Muzik Medicine are doing in our community!
Plan for a Wet Recess:
Send either snow gear or rain pants, and winter or rain boots, with your children for recess.
If you have active children, consider sending extra socks and/ or pants as play at recess can be a wet experience.
Kindergarten Jump Start
Kindergarten Jump Start is a 22-day intensive, literacy-focused, FUN opportunity for children who will enroll in kindergarten this fall
- Mid-morning snack provided
- School district program
- Certified teachers
May 29 - June 28, 2019 | Monday - Friday | 8 AM - Noon
Hunter Elementary | 1630 Gillam Way | Fairbanks
Midnight Sun Elementary | 2301 Bradway Road | North Pole
- Child must be five years of age on or before September 1st, 2019
- Submit Kindergarten Jump Start lottery application
- Pre-Register for kindergarten in the fall
- Attend KJS Parent Orientation Tuesday, May 28th at 6 PM
- Provide daily transportation Monday - Friday, May 29 - June 28
- Commit to 100% student attendance
FRONT OFFICE REMINDERS
- You have 2 days to call in and excuse absences for your students to the front office.
- Please do not stop in the road to pick your student up. Please pick them up in the school loops at dismissal.
- Please make sure you bring in your ID when picking up your child or signing a student out.
- If you have someone other than yourself or primary guardian picking up your student please make sure they are updated in your emergency contacts here at the school.
Update Your Contact Information!
- Please remember to update your Family Care Plans and emergency contacts!
With trainings and deployments, it is especially important that the school has current contact information regarding your children. This information should include local emergency contacts (other than you) as well as contact info for whoever will be taking care of your child in your absence and or POA’s that need to be put on file.
COMPLETE YOUR FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH APPLICATION
Parents and guardians, remember to complete your free and reduced lunch applications here at SCHOOL CAFE.
Nutrition Services has made it easier for families to apply for free or reduced priced meals. We encourage you to apply online anytime using an Internet enabled computer or with the Smartphone app. You can complete and submit an application in minutes!
If you need assistance or have any questions please feel free to contact the front office or Nutrition services at
(907) 451-1004 x16600
Learn how to complete your free and reduced lunch application through nutrition services!