La Charla Con Sra. Chaney
Week 17 - Fall Block Section 07 - Q2
- All quarter 2 work, Units 5-8 will close on 12/31/15 at 11:59PM.
- The final project RLC, final project and final exam are due on 1/8/16 by 11:59pm.
- NCVPS is closed for winter break December 21-January 1. Personally, I will be out of the office for the holidays December 23-28 and December 31-January 2. I will check my email, text messages and return calls on the other days of winter break, as many students will be working during that time.Email is the best way to get in touch with me over break, I will be checking it periodically as I am out of the office.
- I am teaching a U8 RLC THIS Wednesday at 3pm, and a Final Exam RLC next Wednesday at 3pm.
- As we approach the end of the quarter students often become overwhelmed and in a hurry to finish assignments. Students are reminded that vocabulary lists, videos and presentations posted in the course as content or daily announcements and the Peer Tutoring Center are always great resources for help. Any student that submits work that is not 100% original (from Google translator or other websites, done by a friend or teacher, etc.) willreceive a zero on that assignment and have to re-do it for a maximum of a 70%. Reach out to me for help if you have questions!
- My office hours this week and next week are Tuesday/Thursday from 2-5pm, but I am available daily 8a-8p via text message and 24/7 via Moodle message. Get in touch!
- Please see grade breakdown below:
Assignments in this course are broken down into the following percentages:
• Participation (includes Getting Started, eLinguafolio, and RLC) 10%
• Speaking and Listening Assignments (Hablar and Escuchar) 15%
• Reading and Writing Assignments (Leer and Escribir) 15%
• Vocabulary Quizzes (Pruebas de Vocabulario) 20%
• Cultural activities (Actividades Culturales) 15%
• Summative Projects (Proyectos Finales) 25%
The total course grade (block courses) is calculated as follows:
- Quarter 1 37.5% (minimum of 40)
- Quarter 2 37.5% (minimum of 30)
- Final Project 25% (0-100) (project 12.5%, exam 12.5%)
Reminder about Academic Integrity
Things to keep in mind:
- All students get multiple submissions on any speaking, writing or projects. They will get custom teacher feedback and then can resubmit the assignment after making changes.
- If a student is suspected of using a translator/outside resource the teacher will leave the student feedback saying that they need to be called by that student.
- If a translator/outside resource is used the student will receive a ZERO on the assignment and have to re-do it for a maximum of 70% on the assignment.
Resources students CAN USE to help them:
- Vocabulary lists for each unit contain all vocabulary and structures needed for that unit's assignments
- Their online teacher using appropriate contact methods (Moodle message, Blackboard IM, call or text during appropriate hours)
- The NCVPS Peer Tutoring Center
To read more about Academic Integrity and NCVPS click here:
¡Hola Unidad 8! Hello Unit 8!
At the end of this unit students will be able to say the following about their skills in Spanish:
I can describe where I live and talk about the places in my town/city.
I can talk about where people go and how they get there.
I can talk about the Costa Rican rainforest and what people do and see there.
I can talk about what I have to do to travel.
For Parents: The Gradebook
The number under 'Grade' beside "Quarter 1 total" is the students Q1 grade (if below a 40% a 40% was reported). The "Course Total" is not accurate until the very end of the course when both quarters and final exam is factored in. Quarter 2 average can be found beside "Quarter 2 total" each week.
Future Ready Graduates
- Science Savvy
- Strong Team Contributor
- Effective Problem Solver
- Critical Thinker
- Financially Literate Citizen
- Literate Consumer of Media
- Curious Researcher
- Capable Technology User
- Creative/Innovative Thinker
- Proficient Reader
- Effective Communicator
- Self-Directed Responsible Worker
- Skilled Mathematician
- Relationship Builder
- Knowledgable Global Citizen
- Health-Focused Life-Long Learner
These attributes were adopted from the Framework for P21 Partnership for 21st Century Learning, read more about them here. Online learning is a great avenue to prepare students and to help them develop these skills.
Mrs. Kellie Chaney
Office Hours: Tuesday/Thursday 2-5pm
During office hours Mrs. Chaney can be reached via call, text, Blackboard IM or iMessage. If students are not able to communicate with Mrs. Chaney during this time they can set up another time via Moodle message or text.