January 8, 2015 (Volume 14)
- Local Career Center Open Houses & Applications
- Summer Experience Deadlines Approaching Quickly!
- Job Opportunities
- MAKE IT! Contest
- MCC - Mobile Enrollment @ LSN - Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016
- College Fairs/Events Throughout the Metro & Beyond
Financial Aid & FAFSA
- Financial Aid Night @ LSN - Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016
- FAFSA Frenzy - Sunday, Feb. 28, 2016
- Scholarship Application and Essay Tips
- The Scholarship "MASTER"
- Scholarships with Jan/Feb Deadlines & "Just-in's"
Tech Programs: Applications Available + Open House Information
Attention Sophomores & Juniors!
Can you believe it is already time to begin thinking about course selection for the 2016-2017 school year?!?! As a junior or senior at LSN, students have the opportunity to apply to one of our three surrounding career centers: Summit Technology Academy, Herndon Career Center, and Cass Career Center. Applications are now available!
Summit Technology Academy (STA) in Lee’s Summit and Herndon Career Center in Raytown will be holding open houses in January, and February. Students interested in any STA or Herndon programs and their parents/guardians are encouraged to attend these events.
Summit Technology Academy
Application with instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5J7Kwg_oFka3Vmd3g2a3VQSEtqRGtFMk1xRnAxY0pvWDE0/view?usp=sharing
Come check out the amazing opportunities @ Summit Tech Academy during any of the STA Open House Nights: Thurs., January 14, 2016, OR Tues., February 2, 2016. Sessions run as follows:
- 6:00-6:30 PM "Early Planners" session for Middle School students and their parents
- 6:30-8:00 PM STA Classroom Open House (come-and-go style)
- 6:30-7:00 PM & 7:00-7:30 PM Missouri Innovation Campus (MIC) Program Presentation**
**At each of these open house events, current sophomores and their parents will also have the opportunity to learn more about the Missouri Innovation Campus. Students that fit the MIC profile...Algebra I in 8th grade, interest in STEM careers, great attendance, and the desire and determination to take college courses while in HS and complete at 3-year, paid internship with a great corporate partner...should attend these informational sessions.
Herndon Career CenterApplication with instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5J7Kwg_oFkaklHRG9EV21MNl9GMlZwdTdwTm5yWWV6d0Ew/view?usp=sharing
- Wed., January 20, 2016 from 5:00-7:00 PM
- Parents/students are not required to RSVP for the event. They can come and go as they like. Students are encouraged to tour the program(s) that most interest them.
Cass Career Center:Students interested in any Cass Career Center programs should visit with their counselor; applications can be obtained from Ms. Seitz in the LSN Guidance office. There will be opportunities to tour Cass Career Center in the spring.
Summer Experience Deadlines Approaching Quickly!
Jobs Available @ Paradise Park
*Contest* MAKE IT!
- Deadline: Mar. 25, 2016
- Prizes include (2) HD Digital Camcorders + more
- Music Video, Narrative, Documentary, Animation
- 1-10 mins. in length
- Original Material of from the Public Domain
- You may submit more than one project
Columbia College Scholarship Day
Saturday, Jan. 16th, 8am
1001 Rogers Street
To RSVP for Jan. 16th - Click here
You would be competing for
Columbia College Scholarship (5) = full tuition, room and board
Presidential Scholarship (5) = full tuition
See what other scholarships are available with the Scholarship Finder.
Who is eligible to participate?
· Incoming Freshman (HS Senior)
· Minimum 26 ACT (1170 SAT) and 3.6 GPA
If you are interested in attending Scholarship Day, you must be admitted and submit all application materials two weeks prior to the day you compete. This includes:
- Completed application for admission with $35 fee (fee waived if you applied prior to January 1st)
- High school transcript
- Any college transcripts (this includes dual credit)
- ACT or SAT scores
- Resume of high school, community and leadership activities
- Two letters of recommendation
Auditions will be held at the end of scholarship day for students interested in competing for music talent award scholarships. If you are interested in auditioning, please indicate interest on the RSVP form and we will schedule an audition time for you.
University of Tulsa Spring Visit Line-up
Monday, Jan. 18th, 8am
800 South Tucker Drive
· Financial Aid Workshop – January 31 – open to parents of high school seniors
· Tulsa Time Overnight Visit Program – February 14-15 – open to high school seniors and their parents
· Tea & Talk for Parents – March 6 – open to parents of admitted students
· TU Up Close for Juniors – March 25 – open to high school juniors and their parents
MCC Mobile Testing
Wednesday, Feb. 17th, 8:45am
(LSN) LMC Rm. 2148
You must reserve your seat by completing this form: http://goo.gl/forms/1eCwfGT8eD.
Note: If you have taken the ACT, Ms. Keltner can assist you in determining if any portion of the test is necessary; please submit this form to spark that conversation.
Enrollment in MCC Fall classes will occur on April 20th - you will receive additional details after testing; sign-ups for this field trip will be required.
Future Teacher & International Advocacy Day @ Avila University
Thursday, Feb. 18th, 9am-2pm
11901 Wornall Road
Kansas City, MO
The FAFSA is Open!
Below this box are links to the following steps in this process (and it is a p.r.o.c.e.s.s!):
1. Get your FSA ID
This is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your FAFSA documents. Both parent(s) and students will need their own individual FSA ID.
*Attend Financial Aid Night at LSN, Thurs., Jan. 14th @ 6:30p in the PAC
2. Begin completing your FAFSA
For the best results, complete what you can now and begin asking questions early; easing stress and anxiety over upcoming deadlines.
3. Get your/your parent's taxes filed ASAP
Set a goal of filing taxes by early/mid-February.
4. Use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
Approx. 3 weeks after filing your taxes, most students/parents will be able to log in the to FAFSA and use this tool to electronically complete the tax section(s). The DRT retrieves your tax information from the IRS website and "dumps" it all into the correct fields in that section fo the FAFSA - takes all of about 30 seconds! It's awesome (and extremely efficient)!!
5. Submit the FAFSA
Double check the information throughout the form, and submit it by the college's deadline. Some institutions have a March 1st deadline; the [MO] State Aid deadline is April 1st (most MO colleges/universities go by this deadline as well). If you are unable to get taxes done and your FAFSA submitted by April 1st, call the college and ask about additional options for your situation.
Parents: as tempting as it is to do your student's FAFSA for them, please take a moment to consider "why" you feel the need. In most cases, it is advisable to encourage your student to do as much as they can on their own, first, and then follow up on any lingering questions TOGETHER. Your student will need to know why certain information was input on the form so they can answer potential questions from their future college/financial aid advisor. In higher education, the student is expected to be able to speak for themselves. Due to privacy laws, colleges cannot speak to parents like we can at the secondary level. You will need to complete the parental tax section for them, I'm not asking you to hand over that information to your student. I am simply advising that it be the only section you complete on your own, on their FAFSA. I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just trying to prepare you for what to expect in this phase of you and your student's lives. :) This is an excellent opportunity for student growth and for them to show off everything you've taught them about independence and self-advocacy!!
Financial Aid Night @ LSN
Thursday, Jan. 14th, 6:30-8pm
6:30p - Presentation by Angela Karlin, Director of Financial Aid at UCM
7:30p - Q & A
FAFSA Frenzy 2016
Sunday, Feb. 28th, 2-4pm
850 Northwest Chipman Road
Lee's Summit, MO
Join us to get FREE assistance completing your FAFSA!
Scholarship Application Tip of the Week
If a college or scholarship is asking for your "official" ACT score (or a copy of your "official" ACT score results), they are requesting that you send them a ACT score directly from ACT (or a copy of the score sheet ACT send to directly). Typically, they will not accept the ACT scores listed on your transcript IF they have stated this in their requirements for candidacy. HOWEVER, I always recommend that you call them directly and clarify this before paying the $12+ to have each copy sent from ACT. Many times, they will end up accepting your transcript as verification of the ACT scores, but you don't want to assume that.
The Scholarship MASTER
Scholarship searches do take a considerable amount of time but can pay off big-time in the long run. I challenge you to make this your "8th class", starting as early as your Sophomore year. Consider dedicating a minimum of two hours per week to your search. This way, you can break it into manageable chunks and get familiar with the process early on, easing the stress of last minute searching. Statistics show that, on average, you will earn one scholarship out of every 10 applications. Ready....and.... GO!
- Deadline: Jan. 15, 2016
- Must be a current DECA/FBLA member
- Plan to major in: Hospitality Management, Accounting, Business/Consumer Services, Fashion Design, Finance, Marketing, Food Service/Hospitality, or Education
- Deadline: [postmarked between] Jan. 1 - Feb. 10, 2016
- 2.5+ GPA
- Must have a documented learning disability*
Create-A-Greeting-Card Scholarship Contest
- Deadline: Feb. 25, 2016
- Must be at least 14 yrs. old and attending an accredited educational institution
- 1 entry per person
Missouri Society of CPA's Scholarship
- Deadline: Feb. 26, 2016
- HS Senior, MO resident (or child of an MSCPA member)
- Majoring in Accounting at a Missouri higher education institution
- Must be an MSCPA member (join here: http://www.mocpa.org/students/student-membership/hs-app)
- Complete application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/23RKBCY)
- Recommended by teacher or administrator (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2FRLVJR)
(Test Date / Registration Date / Late Registration Date ($25 late fee)
February 6 / January 8 / January 9-15
April 9 / March 4 / March 5-18
June 11 / May 6 / May 7-20
See below for LSN Prep Course Info!
YOUR LSN GUIDANCE TEAM
Rebecca Seitz (A-D) 986-3036 email@example.com
Robin Gray (E-La) 986-3020 firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Hillbrand (Le-R) 986-3018 email@example.com
Shelley McCain (S-Z) 986-3021 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tina Faulker (Social Worker) 986-3003 email@example.com
Karla Barnhill (Registrar) 986-3017 firstname.lastname@example.org
Valerie Meuschke (Admin. Asst.) 986-3003 email@example.com
J. Keltner (College & Scholarship Coor.) 986-3051 firstname.lastname@example.org
Harris Deutsch (ReDiscover) 986-3087 email@example.com