The Case of The Deadly Desperados
By Caroline Lawrence
Deadly Desperados Book Summary
PK Pinkerton is half Sioux Indian and is half american, and is a very courageous boy. In the beginning of the story PK walks into his foster parents house and sees his foster parents dead and scalped but his foster mom is still alive and can talk to him about who did this and why they did this. She said that Desperados did and they did it because they have a valuable letter that could make them very rich. PK’s original parents are dead, desperados were after the letter and will take anybody out to get that letter. They chase him all around town up mountains and down mountains.Finally PK lost them and finds himself in a dark cage and a pit with boiling water. The only thing for lite is a single match and a oil lantern. Walt separates from his pards and finds PK in the cave. pk covered the pit with boiling water with a blanket so walt thought it was just a rug. walt asked for the letter and PK refuses to give it to hm. PK rips up the letter and throws it at the ground. Walt takes takes out a seven shooter and shoots PK in the left shoulder. Walt moves forward and falls down the into the boiling pit of water. Walt dies. One of PK’s older friend Sam finds PK and brings him outside. PK decides to lives in Virginia City.
Story Place in time
1. The Civil war Battle of the Monitor and the Marimak on March,9 the engagement of the Ironclads. (1862)
2. Union General Sherman moved from Georgia to South carolina, destroying everything in his path. February 1865.
3. Mark Twain publishes “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. 1884.
4. (Jan,22) Queen Elizabeth dies, Edward VII is Crowned. 1901
5. World population surpasses 1.5 billion people! 850 live in Asia. 1910.
6. The Korean War begins, 1950.
7. John Fitzgerald Kennedy was murdered, 1963
8. March 1, Unites States declares that whale hunting is illegal. 1970
9. Van halen 19th best selling band/artist in United States History. 1980
10. George Bush sworn in; 43 president. 2001
11. Obama re-elected. 2012
Deadly Desperados spotlight on history
Caroline Lawrence actually makes you feel like you are in the wild west by using similes and hyperbole you are always thinking you are in the wild west “As the stage left Dayton we came to that new toll road that goes up through Gold Canyon.” pg 26. She makes her readers think there in the stage coach actually passing by things.
The way she writes is incredible and leaves you on your seat because she is so great with words. “As Sam Clemens drew his revolver, I slid under the heavy wooden table as fast as a greased snake down a gopher hole,” pg. 80.
She makes you feel like you are walking the dusty walkway of the west. “A light dusting of snow showed their tracks as plain as day.” pg 126. I like this sentence a lot I actually think I was walking the snowy dusty walkway.
When she talks about people in the saloons she makes the reader feel like they are at the saloon with the other characters. “I dragged my chair next to Jaces and sat on it. Then I tipped it back and put my feet on the table. I tried to shade my eyes like he was doing but a plug hat does not have a wide enough brim.