Te Whare Akoranga o Maungawhau | 15 February, 2018
From The Principal
新年快乐 / 新年快樂 (Happy Chinese New Year)!
As you are probably aware, this week brings a major cultural festival in the form of the Chinese Lunar New Year, or 'Spring Festival', which begins tomorrow.
The festival is based on the lunar cycle and lasts 15 days from the date of the first full moon of the calendar year. According to the Chinese Zodiac, this year heralds the 'Year of the Dog', which is said to predict a positive and prosperous (although also very busy and tiring!) year ahead.
To mark this important time of celebration for the Chinese community, I would like to take this opportunity, on behalf the MENPS community, to pass on sincere best wishes for the year ahead.
Continuing with the theme of looking to the future, I have been having many discussions with stakeholders and leaders at all levels of the school over the past few weeks. These have been invaluable in helping to inform the next steps for the future at MENPS.
These strategic goals and aspirations will be published later this term in the form of the Board's annual MENPS 'Charter'. We look forward to sharing this with the whole community, and outlining the Board's vision for every learner to be "Wide-eyed and Enthusiastic About Learning" at MENPS.
Notices & Reminders
- No assembly this week
- Second-hand uniform shop 16 Feb (tomorrow) 8.30-9.00am
- Fair Donations 5-16 March
- Please remember to update your details with the school office. (Email, phone, emergency contacts)
- To report an absence, please visit: http://www.mteden.school.nz/mt-eden-normal-primary-school/absentees
2018 TERM 1 PICNIC DATES
Due to the weather Years 4, 5 & 6 picnics will be on TODAY - Thursday 15 February
TIME: 5pm - 7pm
BRING: Rug, food, drink, any balls or games etc your kids are into
WHERE: On the field outside Rooms 21,22,23
A couple of other notes:
- Please take all your rubbish home with you.
- The teachers have been invited, but they may not be able to make it - it's a busy time of year!
- Your class coordinators will let you know by 4pm on the day of the picnic if we need to cancel due to weather. We have some save day dates in this event as above and will let you know accordingly.
Text Sarah V on 021 450 930 to register your interest for any of the following tasks and for more information
CALL TO THE HALL Volunteer Army
5 March - 16 March Monday to Friday mornings and afternoons. Clear the diary and head to the hall. Sorting is a huge job and we need lots of people in books, toys, clothes, and white elephant.
It doesn’t matter if you have 5 minutes or 50 minutes we would love to see you.
Food glorious food
We need more food at the fair. The time commitment is not huge, mainly the weekend of the fair. We have template instructions of past successes that you can follow or you can come with a new idea and our team can help you get it off the ground
Our craft stall is filled with gorgeous hand made cards, knitted items, kids dress ups and other delights. Suzanne is currently all alone in craft and needs new people to help create. Last year craft stall raised $1300! People who can sew, have creative veins or simply like to learn new skills are all welcome.
DO YOU HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?
- new unopened gifts at home that you would consider donating to the school?
- access to a quantity of plastic chairs and table that we could use
- fun merchandise at work that we can take from you (pens, mugs, hats, stress balls etc)
- contacts at work in the food/travel/toy/sport/retails or media business that could gift us an item or experience. Send us the details and we will make the calls without dropping you in it
- have a bach or a private jet?
- know a celebrity tv, sports, radio, politician that would sign something for us, or come to the fair and be dunked in water by rowdy children.
- have a TRAILER, VAN or TRUCK. We need wheels for pick up and deliveries the weekend of 16-18th March. Could you help?
Text or phone Sarah V 021 450930 for more info or to register your interest
The lifeblood of the fair. Please remember only clean, tidy, good condition items sell. Help us cut back on waste and dumping costs by donating only saleable items.
Drop off begins Monday 5 March – Friday 16 March during school hours.
Special Sunday dropoff on Sunday 11 March.
SECOND HAND UNIFORM SHOP
TOMORROW - Friday 16 February, 8.30 – 9.00am
School Hall Kitchen window, Cash only
Uniform donations gratefully received.
TERM 1 UPCOMING SHOP DATES… Mark your diaries!
March 2 & 23 (please note the uniform shop will open on the 23 March and NOT 16 March)
MAKE 'BREAD' FOR THE SCHOOL
Don't forget to mention MENPS when you visit Baker's Delight Eden Quarter and the school earns 10% on all purchases!
FLIGHT CENTRE DEAL
Flight Centre Mt Eden will generously give MENPS $25 for every $1000 spent by MENPS families booking holidays with them. So please remember to mention us when booking!
BAG A MENPS JUTE BAG!
Only $8 each. Purchase these great bags at the office or second hand uniform shop. Cash or Cheque.
MAKE 'BREAD' FOR THE SCHOOL
FLIGHT CENTRE DEAL
MENPS Swimming Championships -Year 5 & 6
When: Friday 23rd February 9.30am – 12.30pm
Where: Diocesan Aquatic Centre.
Parent help with timekeeping is required.
Please contact Karen Moore on email@example.com
if you can help on the day.
Mt Eden Skate School
Marist Open Day
Hiilton brown Swim School
One free trial lesson for new customers
NANNY SERVICES AVAILABLE
After school nanny services available. My daughter goes to MENPS. Picking up from school, transporting to / from after school activities. Available weekdays from 3pm. Contact me direct to discuss your individual requirements. Full License and own car. price $20 NEG, depending on hours per week and number of children.
Please phone 021 1884482.