A Day in the Life of a Diabetic
Information about Type 2 Diabetes, Mariah Berre.
Background on Type 2 Diabetes
If you didn't know Diabetes Type 2 is a body problem that causes blood glucose also known as (sugar) to rise higher then normal.
- In Type 2 diabetes the pancreas does not produce or use insulin properly, which is called-insulin resistance.
- Insulin is a hormone produced in the Pancreas
- It will make a little insulin in the beginning, but eventually overtime,the pancreas becomes unable to produce enough insulin.
- It prevents insulin from moving glucose(blood sugar) into cells where it can be used
- Finally, Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas to help get the body cells unlocked so that the food we eat or have eaten can be used for energy.
Recommendations for Type 2 Diabetic
What Do I Recommend ...?
I suggest that when you eat, you should eat Carbs (Carbohydrates) because they give you fuel and energy. They also take longer to digest.
- Regular Physical activity/exercise
- Make fun activities like doing yoga or dancing or maybe even swimming.
- Get strength training at least twice a week.
- Aerobic Excericse
How is the blood sugar monitered and adjusted in Type 2 ?
Self Monitoring your blood glucose, also called (SMBG), is important because it increases your ability to make decisions on what to do and what not to do with your diet or physical activity.
- Keeping a log of your results in a Carbohydrate or Food Log.
- Finger Pricking (capillary) - test up to 3-4 times or more a day along with using insulin injectors.
Process for Finger Pricking ( Checking your blood glucose.)
- First you want to wash your hands
- Squeeze the part of your finger that you want to prick till it turns red.
- Prick your finger with the lancet (small needle), and you want to be sure to prick the sides not the fatty parts like the middle.
- When you have the blood, drop it onto the test strip.
- Use a blood glucose meter to display your results.
- Finally, record your results in a log book
How does Staying Fit Relate to Diabetes
How, well heres why.
- It lowers your blood sugar
- Better Control of the type you have
Who Can Help Assist You ... ?
There are lots of doctors that can help you get through your diabetes and whatever type you have. These are the main ones you that you need:
- A Dietitian- A expert on foods and nutrition who helps manage your diet and foods on what you eat on a daily basis. They could help you with what you eat and what you shouldn't eat or what you need to have more or less of.
- Primary Care Physician- A person who provides care for a un diagnosed health concern. They provide you with regular check ups .
- A Podiatrist- A foot doctor and treat daily foot problems. They can help with diabetes because it can cause nerve damage in the foot. Also, when you work out wear really good athletic shoes so it wont cause damage to your foot.
NO WORRIES 👌!
It's okay if you're worried or scared about what type of diabetes you have. it's normal, but always remember to constantly maintain healthy food choices and keep track of everything you do with the type you are diagnosed with.
What I Have Learned.
So, I've learned that Type 2 diabetes eventually breaks down the pancreas, and you wont have any insulin and your blood glucose level is really high (So watch what you eat). And the process you have to do for all that is take your dose of how much insulin you have been prescribed and check your blood glucose daily.