Pleasant Lake Pleasantries
Together We Learn, Together We Lead!
Upcoming 5th Grade Events
Below is some important information regarding upcoming 5th grade events. Please contact your child's 5th grade teacher or myself if you have any questions.
5th Grade Field Trip is scheduled for Tuesday, June 11th.
5th Grade Clap Out
This year the 5th grade Clap Out will begin at 11:40 a.m. on Thursday, June 13th. Students in Kindergarten through 4th grade will line up in our hallways to clap for our 5th graders as they walk by. 5th graders will end the Clap Out in front of the school.
All 5th grade parents in attendance will line up in front of our building to congratulate our graduates. You can sign your child out and take them home at the conclusion of the Clap Out. Students that do not leave at that time will return to their classroom for our normal dismissal process.
Please notify the main office the morning of the Clap Out if you will be signing out children, other than your 5th grader, prior to dismissal.
A reminder that dismissal is at 12:09 p.m. and that buses will arrive around 11:55 a.m. Please do not park in our front driveway when arriving for the Clap Out and leave in a timely fashion to ensure that our buses are able to arrive and leave on time.
5th Grade Graduation and Celebration on Wednesday, June 12th
For those of you attending our Graduation Ceremony please make sure to adhere to the maximum number of four guests per family. We want to ensure we have enough chairs for all of our guests. Our Graduation Ceremony will begin at 10:15 a.m. and our doors will open for seating in our cafeteria at 10:00 a.m. It is important that you do not arrive prior to 10:00 a.m.
Our Celebration begins at 1:00 p.m. and we have volunteers that have committed to ensuring our children have a fun and memorable time but still have volunteer opportunities available. Due to safety and security reasons, only parent volunteers are allowed to be in attendance at the Celebration.
Please click on the Volunteer Sign Up if you are able to volunteer at our 5th Grade Graduation and/or Celebration. Similar to Field Day please apply sunscreen to your child at home before leaving for school on Wednesday, June 12th.
Thank you and we look forward to fun and memorable end of the year for our wonderful 5th Grade children!
Walled Lake Schools of Choice Window Open!
Dear Pleasant Lake Elementary Parents,
Walled Lake Schools is pleased to be able to offer a second Schools of Choice application window this spring for families in other Oakland county school districts wishing to attend a Walled Lake school beginning with the 2019-2020 school year. If you are interested (or know of someone who possibly missed our January application window), please fill out and submit your application. All 19 schools will be open for limited enrollment in Kindergarten-10th grade. 11th graders interested in the IB program at Western are eligible as well, pending a curriculum audit by the IB coordinator, Dr. Ami Friedman.
Note: If you are currently a resident of the district but anticipate moving out of the district before school starts in August, it may be possible for your children to continue their education here the following years under Schools of Choice 105 if:
- You will still be residing within one of the other 27 Oakland County school district boundaries.
- The building and grade level you want is open for application. (you may end up on a waiting list if a lottery is necessary)
- Meet the application guidelines
- Submit your application during the application period.
The application period for the 2018-2019 school year will be May 20th- June 7th, 2019.
Many of our Pleasant Lake Elementary School of Choice families are ones that move away while enrolled in our school but wish to remain here. I strongly recommend that if there is any possibility that you may move in the next several months that you fill out a School of Choice application. There is no penalty to complete an application that is not needed in the future. Please note that you WILL NOT be able to submit a request after the deadline noted above.
Please feel free to contact me directly at 248.956.2800 if you have any question.
2nd Annual PTA Sponsored Family Bowling and Raffle Night!
PLE End of the School Year Reminders
A reminder that Thursday, June 13th is a ½ day of school and dismissal is at 12:09 p.m. Thursday, June 13th is the last day of school. Lunch will not be served and Prime Time Care is available if needed. To ensure the safety of our students we will have the same dismissal process through the last day of school.
Also please note the following:
- Please have your child(ren) return their library books to school and avoid the book fees. Children with missing library books may not receive their yearbooks.
- Yearbooks will be handed out to students on Thursday, June 13th.
- Lost and Found items not picked up by Thursday, June 13th will be donated to a local charity.
Thank you for your support in ensuring we have a memorable and safe end of the school year.
2018-2019 PLE Calendar of Events
Please click here: 2019-20 calendar to view next year’s school calendar. Please Note:
We will start the school year prior to Labor Day again.
Late starts (middle school) and early release (high schools) have been eliminated.
There are several half-days throughout the school year. As we have in the past, we will offer a reduced rate Prime Time Care service on each of these half days.
You might be wondering...Why are there so many half days?
Throughout the school year, there are eight half days that will be used for staff professional development. We recognize that half days can be inconvenient for families. That said, research has shown that when teachers receive ongoing, job-embedded professional development, they can increase student achievement by as much as 21 percentile points (Source).
As a school and district, we are committed to continuous improvement and these eight half days are an essential part of that commitment. Although they may seem inconvenient, staff development opportunities are crucial to ensure we provide an exemplary education for our children.
Congratulations to all of our PLE Alumni and WLC High School Graduates that attended our 1st Annual Senior Clap Out!
Incoming Kindergarten Spring Visit
Principal for the Day!
PLE Final Report Card Reminder
A friendly reminder that your child’s final report card will not be mailed home this year. Your child’s report card can be accessed using your Skyward Family Access Account. Report cards will be posted and available online after 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 18th.
To obtain a Family Access user name and password, please email FamilyAccess@wlcsd.org or contact the Family Access hotline at 248-956-2190. Please be sure to include your name, the name of each child in the district, your email address and a daytime phone number.
Please contact our main office at 248.956.2800 if you have any questions.
Girls on the Run
Congratulations to our children and coaches on a another successful season and great 5K Run!
Thank you to all of our volunteers that make our school community special!
West Bloomfield Library Visit
Great Job Art Teacher Ms. Anna Bitzinger and our Student Art Award Winners!
Lego Robotics Team!
Congratulations to all three of our Lego Robotics Teams for a great first season! We appreciate our parent volunteers and coaches!
Spring Book Fair
Thank you Media Center Specialist Mrs. Ann Hinterman and our parent volunteers for a great Spring Book Fair!
Spring Book Fair
FFE Golf Scramble
FFE Golf Scramble – Support Walled Lake Schools!
This fun-filled community event will further the Foundation’s mission to enrich K-12 classrooms across the WL District within the areas of literacy & leadership; community & diversity; science, technology & the arts; and District programs and support the FFE annual grant program.
Join FFE on the green, be a proud sponsor, and/or provide a donation for outing's raffle/silent auction:
- 2019 Foundation for Excellence Golf Scramble - Compete outing details
- REGISTER NOW: Online player & sponsorship sign-up
- Payment can also be made by check payable to the Foundation for Excellence, located at Ed. Services Center, Walled Lake
Questions? Contact FFE office @ 248.946.2116 or email MichelleBianco@wlcsd.org
Congratulations and Thank You Pleasant Lake Elementary PTA Award Recipients! We Appreciate You!
Teach The Leader in Me Habits At Home!
Field Day 2019
It’s that time of year again for us to celebrate another great year at Pleasant Lake! Our Annual Field Day will be held on Friday, June 7th with the make-up day on Monday, June 10th. Grades K-2nd will have their event from 9:15-12:15 p.m. and 3rd-5th grades will be from 12:30-3:30 p.m..
Please consider volunteering for this event. This event will not be possible without the help of our great families. Volunteers please arrive at 9:00 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. respectively.
Please note that for the safety of our children, only volunteers are able to attend Field Day.
Children will be provided a lunch that consists of 1 beef hot dog, 1 bag of chips and 1 fruit. You can provide your child with an additional snack if you wish. Lunch and Recess Times are as follow:
5th Grade 11:00-11:40
4th Grade 11:10-11:50
3rd Grade 11:20-12:00
Kindergarten 12:10- 12:50
1st Grade 12:20-1:00
2nd Grade 12:30-1:10
Older siblings, aunts, uncles, and grandparents are also all welcome to volunteer by signing up through the sign up genius volunteer link above.
Please note that children will spend a 1/2 day outdoors so have them wear comfortable clothing and appropriate shoes. Children will also engage in activities that include water. Lastly, you are invited to please administer sunscreen to your child Friday morning, prior to leaving for school.
Mr. Jason Apostolopoulos
PLE Physical Education Teacher
Pleasant Lake Elementary "CREWS"
Take a moment to speak to your child and learn a little bit more about our Leader in Me CREW!
Pleasant Lake Elementary
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Prime Time Care Hours
Monday - Friday
6:30 AM-6:00 PM
Drop off: 8:50 AM
Late Bell: 8:55 AM
Dismissal: 3:58 PM
Departure: 4:05 PM
PTA Facebook Page
Visit our PTA's Facebook Page
Safety First at Pleasant Lake Elementary
- If your child needs to be picked up during the school day, he/she will only be released to a parent, custodial parent, person listed on the school emergency form or a person identified in a permission note from the parent. We will require a photo ID.
- Any legal documents containing custodial restrictions or court orders must be on file in our office.
- If you are visiting our school or dropping off a student, please park in our main parking and come through our main entrance doors to our office area to sign your child in. All doors are locked and will not be opened by staff members or students. This includes students who are tardy to school. Do not drop off students in the parking lot if they are tardy for school. Parents must come into the office to sign tardy students in. When using the main entrance, please buzz in and the main office staff will open the door for you.
- To maintain a safe and secure learning environment, parents and visitors may not go to any classroom unless they have made prior arrangements with the classroom teacher. Parent volunteers are welcome at Pleasant Lake, but must sign in each time they volunteer in a classroom or in the building. Please remember to sign out when you are finished. Parents may not visit classrooms unexpectedly when volunteering or visiting the school. Students walk to their classrooms on their own each day and will be called down to the office if leaving early. Students will be called down to the office for any forgotten items brought in to the office.
Lunch and Food Service Information
The cost for a hot lunch will be $2.75 this year. The cost for a reduced lunch will be $.40. Breakfast will be available every day and will also begin the first day of school. The cost for breakfast will be $1.25. Breakfast is $.30 for eligible free and reduced lunch students. .
Please click HERE for the June Elementary Lunch Menu.
Kroger Community Rewards Program
The PTA needs your help in providing our students and staff with as many resources as possible. One way the PTA helps is by contributing the funds earned through the Kroger Community Rewards program. If you shop at Kroger, we ask you to enroll your card to earn money for the PTA. This program does not take away your rewards earned toward gas or any other benefits. It is an additional way that Kroger gives back to the community. If you were enrolled in the past, please make sure to re-enroll and select Pleasant Lake Elementary PTA to earn the community rewards. You can follow the link provided here https://www.kroger.com/account/enrollCommunityRewardsNow
Also, if you have other family members (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) that shop at Kroger or Kroger affiliated stores encourage them to enroll their rewards card and select your student’s PTA for community rewards. Every little bit helps our students and staff.
PTA Co-V.P. and Scrips Coordinator
Busch's Cash For Education
Don’t forget to re-enroll by January 1st to participate in the 2019 Cash for Education program. All participants must re-enroll annually. Once registered, simply shop, provide your Busch’s MyWay phone number or key tag at the register and receive credit for your schools. It’s that easy! Just be sure to follow the below steps to participate for the New Year.
Steps to Take:
- Sign into your MyWay account and select “Cash for Education” from the dropdown menu underneath your name to reselect your schools and/or organizations.
- If you haven’t done so already, you must include a valid email and opt-in to receive emails to participate in this program. You can check this under My Account > Account Holder when logged into MyWay. Busch’s will use this email to communicate any updates or changes to the Cash for Education Program. Email is also a great way to receive information regarding weekly specials, offers and Busch’s coupons, which are sent exclusively to MyWay members.
- Select up to four organizations that you would like to support for each quarter using the drop down menu. Purchases will be allocated equally between your chosen organizations.
- You may now also include the student you’re supporting.
- You may change your organizations and student at any time, but only those selected at the end of each quarter will receive credit.
Participants will be required to re-enroll on an annual basis.
Know What's Going On At Pleasant Lake Elementary!
SKYWARD FAMILY ACCESS
It is critical that parents keep an updated email address and let us know if it changes as soon as possible. Parents may update this information for us on Skyward Family Access. All teachers at Pleasant Lake utilize Skyward Family Access to communicate with parents. Report cards, lunch account information, progress reports, attendance and other important information will always be posted on Skyward Family Access. If you are a new family to Walled Lake Schools or have misplaced or lost your Family Access ID and password, please click HERE to get connected.
PLEASANT LAKE PLEASANTRIES AND SCHOOL WEBSITE
Our school newsletter will be sent electronically to parents once a month. An archive of newsletters is also posted to our school website under the For Parents tab. Our school website can be found HERE. Please visit this page often for information about our school. You will find links to important documents, websites from your child's classroom, PTA forms and information, and important updates and forms that you will need to access.
Please follow us on Twitter @PleasantLakeEl to be updated regularly on important events at our school and fun pictures of student events and learning!
We also offer Remind 101 to all PLE parents. How does it work? If you would like to receive a quick text message on your cell phone or device, just sign up with us and you receive a quick text to remind you of important school events, deadlines, time frames, etc. at PLE. You can unsubscribe at any time.
To join, send a text to (586) 649-3482 and enter the message @mrmakt
You can opt-out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @mrmakt'.