Hunger and Food Wasting in America
Two Sides of the Same Coin
A Problem Ignored by the Average American
Every 3.6 seconds, a person dies of hunger. Some of these deaths can be prevented if people donate food to food drives, or community events involving food for the hungry. The average American throws away about 40% of his or her food. Leftover food should hit the donation boxes, not the trash cans. Although America does not have the highest starving rate in the world, it does have the highest obesity rate. Even though the obese are not going hungry, most of them are the ones throwing away the food. Also only 10% of the starving people in America are homeless, which is a very little amount compared to other countries such as Africa. With this slim percent of homeless people in the U.S.A. , many people focus on helping Africa more than they do America.
Too Much Hungry People
A lot of Trash in the Trash Can
Are Your Eyes Bigger Than Your Stomach?
Pros and Cons
Pros About Hunger in America
- Those who are exposed to hunger become resourceful.
- America does not have the highest starving rate in the world.
- Only 10% of the hungry people are homeless.
Pros About Full Trash Cans
- The people who throw out food aren't starving.
- Starving people can secretly utelize it.
Cons About Hunger in America
- 17 million children are exposed to hunger.
- Every 3.6 seconds a person dies from hunger.
- A little over 50 million Americans suffer from hunger.
Cons About Full Trash Cans
- The food in the trash cans could have gone to food drives or other charities.
- Trash is a heavy load on landfills.
- People who are to full to finish the food on their plates and chuck half of it out have more than enough food.
"Hunger Facts" Feeding America. N.p., n.d. web. 02 Mar 2014 <http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/hunger-facts.aspx>
"Hungry People" Hungry Child. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Mar 2014 <http://blog.salvationarmyvsa.org/2011/10/11/world-food-day-october-16/>
"Hungry Person Holding Sign" Cheap eats and great deals. N.p., n.d. web. 02 Mar 2014 <http://cheapeatsforcollegepeeps.wordpress.com>
"Americans Waste Food" Food Waste: How Much Americans Throw Away. N.p., n.d. web. 02 Mar 2014
"Obesity Rate" Top 10 Countries With Highest Obesity Rate. N.p., n.d. web. 02 Mar 2014 <http://www.whichcountry.co/countries-with-the-highest-obesity-rates/>
"Hunger Statistics" The Obese vs the Hungry. N.p., n.d. web. 02 Mar 2014 <http://madmikesamerica.com/2011/03/obesity-and-hunger-2-sides-of-the-same-coin/>