Stremelstein's Classroom News
Mrs. Himelstein & Ms. Stremel- First Grade Room 202
May 30, 2016
Dates to Calendar
Character Trait for May is Empathy: We can show concern for others.
6/17 Flag Salute
6/19 Father's Day
6/22 Last Day of School/ Minimum Day
Reading- Author Study : Mo Willems and Oliver Jeffers
- Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
- Describe characters, setting, and major events in a story, using key details.
- Compare and Contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.
Academic Vocabulary: compare, contrast, alike, different, illustrations, character, setting, event, traits, identify, opinion, sequence, experience
- Suffixes: __ful, ___ly
Spelling Words of the Week: Word Wall Words, Word family Words and Challenge Words
Word Wall Words: another, ask, better, found, please
Word Family Words: cheerful, helpful, painful, playful, thankful, truthful, deeply, finally, gladly, lately, nicely, safely
Challenge Words: carefully, colorful, thoughtful, equally, happily, hungrily
addition, add, addend, sum, subtraction, subtract, equation, equal sign, true equation, false equation, count on, count back, make 10, place value.
Math-Addition & Subtraction
Addition & Subtraction: 1)Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems.
2) Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10
3) The commutative property shows us that we can add numbers in any order and still get the same sum. 4) The equal sign in an equation means "the same as" the quantity on one side of the equal sign should always be the same as the quantity on the other side of the equal sign.
- Write opinion pieces in which students introduce the topic or name the book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply a reason for the opinion, and provide some sense of closure.