- Type of crop: Specialty
- Native to Peru in South America
- Idaho is the leading potato producer
- Potatoes are used for human consumption in their daily meals
- Sample Products: French Fries, Potato Chips, and Hashbrowns
- History: Potatoes originated in South America and they are a good source of vitamin c. The potato was brought the United States in the early 18th century.
Why is the potato important?
The potato is important because almost every person consumes potatoes or potato products daily. If we didn't have potatoes we wouldn't have our daily food and farmers would have one less crop to grow and harvest to make their money. Also, we would have people that would lack or wouldn't have another source of vitamin c if we didn't have potatoes. Considering potatoes are a very high source of vitamin c.