The Rideau Report
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." Albert Einstein
Happy New Year! We hope that everyone had a wonderful break with family and friends. We are excited to have everyone back for another busy, fun-filled winter. It was really nice to see so many parents and family members at our December events - we are a great community and it is always a pleasure to see everyone at our many events.
January is the last month of our first semester, so teachers and students will be working hard towards summative assessments in various subjects. We are making our way towards our Learning Goals, and continuing to develop our Work Habits and Learning Skills. The PA Day on February 1 is an opportunity for teachers to work on Report Cards, which will be sent home on Feb. 20.
We are also very pleased to have several special events this month. On January 21, we welcome author Philip Roy to Rideau, who will be sharing from his French books with students up to grade 4. Later in the month, the Queen's Tech n' Tinker Trailer will visit for 3 days, giving every class the opportunity for some hands-on STEM learning. Also throughout the month there will be Spirit Days, intramurals, and other great opportunities for our students.
We will continue to work to make our communications with families as effective as possible. We hope this new-look newsletter, our website, and the Limestone App are all steps in that direction, and we are interested in your feedback. You can always email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school at 613-546-5901.
G. Seiveright, Principal
SafeArrival system begins Jan. 14
One of our greatest priorities is ensuring that all our students arrive safely to school. To enhance our existing absence process, we are introducing a new, more efficient absence-reporting system called Safe Arrival.
This new system will make it easier for you to report your student’s absence, reduce the time it takes for our school staff to verify student attendance, and respond to unexpected or unplanned student absences. This time savings makes it faster and more efficient to account for all students and their safety.
The new student absence reporting system will let you use a mobile app, a website, or an interactive toll-free phone number to report an absence in advance. These options are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Future absences can be reported at any time.
If your student is marked absent and the absence hasn’t been reported in advance, our new SafeArrival system will attempt to reach the student’s priority contact by telephone to confirm the absence. If our system is unable to reach the designated contacts, school office staff will follow up.
How to report an absence using SafeArrival
There are three ways you can report your student’s absence in advance:
1. Using your mobile device, download and install the SchoolMessenger blue app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store or from School Messenger website or you can select it from within the LDSB mobile app. The first time you use the app, select Sign Up to create your account. Make sure you use the same email address your child’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system. Select Attendance, then Report an Absence.
2. Use the School Messenger website. The first time you use the website, select Sign Up to create your account. Please ensure you use the same email address your student’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
3. Call 1-855-257-9349 toll-free to report an absence using the automated phone system.
Please do not call the school directly to report your student's absence.
This new system will begin on January 14, 2019.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we implement this new system.
For more information about Philip Roy, you can visit his website at http://philiproy.ca/ .
Inclement Weather Reminder
January’s weather often brings bus cancellation days, and occasionally, school closures. Please listen to local radio, or follow us on Twitter (you can also follow Tri Board or Limestone DSB).
If buses are cancelled and schools are open, you may choose to send your child to school, although please remember to pick them up at 3:35! If they are staying home and are normally bussed, you don’t need to call the school, but if they are staying home and are not a bussed student, please notify us through Safe Arrival. We must account for every student, even on snow days.
Thank you for your co-operation!
Seeking gently-used board games!
- January 14 - New Safe Arrival absence reporting system begins
- January 16 - School Council Meeting - 6:30 - 8:00 (all parents/guardians welcome)
- January 21 - Author Visit (Philip Roy) - Family Literacy Week
- January 28-30 - Queen's Tech n' Tinker Trailer visit
- February 1 - PA Day
Check our school calendar on our website for the most current listing of events!