Blanchard HS Band
February 2016 Newsletter
Congrats OMEA All-State Band & Orchestra members!
Leadership Council Lock-In Kudos
Check Charms to make sure your student's account is in good financial standing. If your student checked out breakfast tickets or coupon books and haven't sold them or turned them in, there is a negative charge to the account.
Calendar of Upcoming Events (always available on Charms!)
- February 1st-4th, Pass off music for OSSBDA All-State HB
- February 5th, Parent-Teacher conferences (directors unavailable)
- February 5th-6th, All-Region Honor Band; Weatherford
- February 8th, 4th trip payment due
- February 11th-13th, OSSBDA All-State Honor Band
- February 15th, No School
- February 19th, Pre-district Contest @Edmond Santa Fe HS
- February 21st, Mattress Sale
- February 24th, Solo & Ensemble pass offs due
- February 27th, District Solo & Ensemble Contest
- February 29th, OU Concert; we will go watch this performance; optional
- March 3rd, HS District Contest @Edmond Santa Fe HS
- March 7th, 5th trip payment due
- March 12th, St. Patrick's Day parade; Blanchard
- March 14th-18th, Spring Break
Honor band pass offs & hotel fees
If your student is a member of All-Region, OSSBDA All-State, or OMEA All-State, itineraries with information will be sent home as soon as possible. These will be filled with info, so please read them carefully! There is a $25 hotel/dinner fee for All-Region members that is due by the first day of the honor band, February 5th, or anytime beforehand.
Solo & Ensemble Reminders
Solo & ensemble rehearsals are well under way! Students playing a solo and using one of our accompanists should have already signed up for rehearsal times (check with your student). Soloists using an accompanist need to bring $20 to offset the cost of the accompanist. This is due by the day of solo & ensemble, Saturday, February 27th.
If your student is in a large ensemble, we are rehearsing one day a week in class but they should be working on their music independently as well. Students in smaller ensembles should be working on their own outside of class time.
All students participating in solo and ensemble need to play for a lesson teacher or a director in order to pass off and participate at contest. This should be scheduled for before or after school by February 24th.
And remember, parents, friends, and family are encouraged to come to solo & ensemble on the 27th at Norman HS and watch your student compete! Students usually perform in a more intimate setting, like a classroom or band room, and you can watch the entire performance and judging process. It's much different than our large competitions and it's nearby so make plans to come check it out! We'll have a scheduled itinerary to you as soon as we get it.
TRIP NOTICE! Airfare was $20 higher than we estimated so every person traveling with the band to NYC will pay $20 more for their final payment. If you already paid off your trip, send $20 more by the final trip payment. Students can still fundraise this amount if they choose. Thank you!
Trip Payment Due February 8th
Spring Softball & Baseball Concessions
To start, every student and parent can sign up to work a maximum of 4 games. Once everyone has had a chance to sign up, if there are more openings, we will allow more opportunities to work. Thank you for keeping this fair for all to participate!
Instrument Step-Up Night
Mattress Fundraiser Reminder!
Here is a flyer to distribute to everyone you know! Also, you can text "Blanchard" to 405-531-9744 to get a direct link to the event (the most texts you will receive in response is 2, so you won't be bombarded!).
Calling All Band Banquet Photos!
Background checks for volunteers
HS Band Students of the Month!
- Courtney is a trumpet section leader and a member of the band Leadership Council. It has been a great senior year for Courtney and in fact, it has been an amazing band career for her! She has auditioned and made numerous honor bands, she always participates in solo and ensemble, and the amount of practice she does at home has always set her apart when she gets to class. The coolest thing to see this year is her dedication to our younger band students. Courtney gave up one of her free hours her senior year and chose to volunteer with the 7th & 8th grade band, playing with them, working with the trumpet players one on one, and inspiring them to try their best at honor bands and solo and ensemble. I don't know if she has any idea how much these kids look up to her, but they absolutely adore her and I understand why! She's a special girl and we're so proud to have watched her grow up and become a leader over the last 8 years. Thank you for everything, Courtney!
- Connor is the saxophone section leader and the president of the Leadership Council. He has done a great job organizing Leadership Council and getting things done without having to be asked. It has been a great help to us band directors! Over the years Connor has consistently participated in honor bands and solo and ensemble, even saving his own money to purchase a soprano saxophone and playing it in solos and ensembles. He has also been taking lessons for some time and in December made it to the final round of All-State, making him one of the top 24 alto saxophone players in the state! This is an outstanding achievement! We appreciate his leadership he has shown as a player and as the band president. Thank you for all you have given this band, Connor!
How to get credit for your monthly newsletter grade! Due by Friday, February 26th!
Remember, newsletters are only accepted during the month of the newsletter. Once the month has passed, that newsletter can no longer be submitted.