The Workers of the 1700's
It was a warm summer day and there was a man working hard in a field
because he knew he had only one more month until he would be free. He is not a slave though, he is an indentured servant. Indentured servants had an impact on America’s history. They could work for people for a number of years and then be free, they could fight in wars, and could help people with jobs that other people could not do.
These people were indentured servants in the US before people started getting slaves.
This is an indenture which is the contract that the servant signs. This has the time the servants have to work.
These people are people that are going to America to get sold as indentured servants
- Indentured servants worked for a certain period of time without wages
- They could be punished, fed, or taken into the masters family
- A condition of employment in exchange for service
- They work slave owners and got small things out of it
- They used to be used to attract workers
- They could fight in wars to get freedom
- They served their indenture and then became free workers