SCCS Home Bulletin
February 8, 2023
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED
FROM DR. B
Happy Wednesday, Trailblazers!
The weather is warmer this week, and that means outside recess. That makes everyone much happier, and we are thankful to be able to go outside to enjoy winter fun on the sledding hill and more.
Let’s keep going with the series the Stories of SCCS. This week, we’ll feature Becky Postma, our sensory specialist.
STORIES OF SCCS: Becky Postma, sensory specialist
How long have you served/been at/been involved with SCCS?
- 5 years: 1 year as a para, and I am starting my 5th year as sensory specialist.
What's something interesting about you?
- I love the outdoors: hiking, paddle boarding, kayaking, camping, and so many more things.
How does your role fulfill the mission of Sioux Center Christian School? How are you Living God’s Story at SCCS?
- I hope to equip the students with a better understanding of the gifts God has blessed them with and use those gifts to better how they work and play each day at school. I am living out God's Story at SCCS by giving the students an opportunity to explore God's world through all of their senses and also by walking alongside the students and exploring God's world with them.
Why do you choose to be part of the SCCS community?
- Christian education is important to me, as it helps set a base for everyday living in a child's faith journey. Educators play an important role in teaching our children about God and His big and beautiful world. At SCCS, I see the educators not only teaching but valuing each and every student with whatever unique gifts that God has given, helping students to use those gifts to glorify God.
Which throughline do you most identify with and why?
- Creation enjoyer. I feel that I identify with creation enjoyer the most because I am always looking to learn and discover new things about God's world, and if I get to enjoy it while I am in the outdoors, that is an added bonus. God created an amazing world and looking at his creation gives me joy.
What is most important to you about SCCS?
- The relationships that I have built with the staff, faculty, and students as well. I enjoy working alongside a great team and supporting our students. And I have a unique opportunity to work with students for more than just a year at a time, so building into those relationships each year has been a true joy to get to know them and see what amazing students they are.
OMAHA STREET PERCUSSION
Thanks to a fine arts grant, we were able to bring Omaha Street Percussion to SCCS last week. They held fun, energetic assemblies for TK-3rd grades and 4th-8th grades, creating music with recycled materials and inviting the students to join in with the music. Several students (and a teacher looking like he was dropped in from the 1960's) performed with the group in front of the school! In the afternoon, all our 8th graders attended a workshop on creating rhythms with bucket drums. THANK YOU to Omaha Street Percussion for a lively and enjoyable day of hearing and creating music! The students are still talking about your visit!
The State of Iowa recently released more information regarding who will be eligible for an ESA in the 23-24 school year. Those eligible will be incoming kindergarten students, any student transferring from the public school, and students who have a household income level at or below 300% of the 2023 Federal Poverty Guidelines. Please see the table below for more information, and we encourage you to talk with your tax professional when making financial decisions and plans.
To get more information as it becomes available regarding ESAs, please head to this link (you can also sign up at the bottom of the page to receive updates): https://educateiowa.gov/pk-12/education-savings-accounts.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
PARENT VISIT DAY
We value the partnership between our parents and school! We want to invite you into the school so you can experience what’s happening in the classroom. Each grade level will be hosting a Parent Visit Day again this year.
We are looking forward to seeing you at our 6th grade parent visit day on Friday, Feb. 10.
- 11:00 - Welcome in the band room
- 11:10-12:00 - Classroom visit
- 12:00 - Lunch (We will be ordering pizza from Pizza Ranch for our guests and will start with 2 pieces of pizza per person)
- You are welcome to stay for recess as well!
Please sign up here (by Tuesday, Feb. 21) for our 7th & 8th grade parent visit day which will be on Friday, February 24 so we know how many to plan for. Thank you!
- 11:00 - Welcome in the band room
- 11:10-12:10 - Classroom visit
- 12:10 - Lunch (We will be ordering pizza from Pizza Ranch for our guests and will start with 2 pieces of pizza per person)
- You are welcome to stay for recess as well!
Dordt University is hosting Family Bingo Night at Sioux Center Christian and you and your family are invited. Join us for a fun night of hanging out with other families and playing Dordt Bingo. Snacks will be provided and there will be a chance to win fun Bingo prizes!
When: Thursday, February 9
Time: 6:30 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.
Where: Sioux Center Christian School Cafeteria, 630 1st Ave SE, Sioux Center, IA 51250
RSVP: Space is limited, so please RSVP using the link below.
Questions: Contact Josie Faber at email@example.com or 712-722-6029.
We're looking forward to hanging out with you!
Alicia Bowar, Director of Alumni and Parent Relations
Josie Faber, Signature Events Coordinator
Students are welcome to bring a treat or a card for their classmates in honor of Valentines Day; this should be done on Tuesday, Feb. 14. We have a few guidelines:
- Treats and cards do not have to be brought. If you do, please bring enough for the entire class.
- Treats must be small individually wrapped items. No gum, cupcakes or pop. Healthy treats are encouraged.
- Students will be allowed to have one or two items. The remaining treats will go in a bag for the student to take home. Students must take a bag with them to school if they wish to participate.
- No classroom parties are needed.
- SCCS is a nut/peanut-aware school.
ROUND UP INFORMATION
Is your child ready to start school this fall? It is TK/Kindergarten Round Up time, and we’d love to share more about how God’s children are Treasured, Trained, and Transformed at Sioux Center Christian School.
Families interested in learning more are encouraged to register for the following events:
- Parent Information Meeting on Thursday, March 2 @ 12:00-1:00 PM or 6:00-7:00 PM.
- Sneak Peek of SCCS on March 10 or March 17 @ 9:30-10:30 AM
- TK/K Round Up on March 30 or 31
Call our school office (712-722-0777) or visit our website: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/connectwithus/tkkroundup.cfm to register or request more information.
If you know of a family who might be ready to start their journey at SCCS, please share this announcement with them or fill out our “Refer a Family to SCCS” form on our website. We are excited to welcome the next generation of young learners to Live God’s Story at our school!
TRAIL'RAISER FUNDRAISING EVENT 2023
The first Trail’Raiser Night fundraising event was held on April 11, 2015. Our new addition was still under construction and over 1,000 attendees enjoyed walking through the future music rooms, K-2nd classrooms, and office area. Plus, the gym filled to the brim for our first ever game show, the Family Feud. The event raised $110,000 for the new addition and an annual tradition was born!
We have had a total of eight Trail’Raiser Nights, alternating between auctions and game shows (Survivor in 2017, The Price is Right in 2019, Family Feud in 2022) and raising a total of $1.14 million through them!
Now approaching our 9th Trail’Raiser event, we are ready to try something a little different to help build the Blazer Center campus expansion. Our event this year is planned for Saturday, April 15, and will be a come and go event running from 9am – noon (note: Grandparents/Special friends Day is Friday, April 14).
We are renaming the event to Trail’Raiser Trek and attendees will walk a one-mile course near school and through school, ending with a delicious Blazer Brunch in the lunchroom. Before the event, businesses, supporters, parents and grandparents will have the opportunity to pledge a $.05 to $5 gift for every person who comes to the event. The more people who show up to walk, the more money we raise! If we reach our goal of $150 sponsored for each attendee and we have 1,000 attendees – that raises $150,000! If 1,250 people attend, $187,500 is raised. Attendees will also have the opportunity to purchase cupcakes, bars, snack mixes, event t-shirts, plus some fun new things!
We’re still working on the details, but just wanted to give you a heads up so you can reserve the morning of SATURDAY, APRIL 15 for this event!
TALES AND TRAILS SUMMER CAMP
Registration is OPEN for our Tales and Trails Summer Camp 2023! This is an educational and fun summer opportunity for kids who are 5-11 years old by June 1, 2023.
This program is designed to be educational, fun, and infused with our Christian perspective.
Weekly camp themes encourage students to learn about the wonder of God’s creation through a variety of hands-on, fun activities. Outdoor play is also an important part of the camp experience, and kids are encouraged to stay active and engaged during their time at camp.
Information and registration forms were sent home with every child in 4Care – 4th grade.
SCCS families have the first opportunity to register! We will open registration to community members after March 1 (let your friends and neighbors know!)
WE ARE HIRING
Sioux Center Christian School invites you to consider the opportunity to work with a dedicated faculty and staff, passionate parents, and fantastic students through the following positions with a start date of August 1, 2023. The ideal candidate loves God, loves kids, and loves learning. Interested applicants should complete the faculty application package, located at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/connectwithus/employment.cfm A review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- School Counselor (Full-time)
- Title 1 (0.85 FTE or adjusted based on the best fit candidate)
- Reading Specialist (Full-time)
- Discovery (Full-Time)
- 3rd Grade (Full-time)
- Paraprofessional (Full-time one-to-one support for a 1st grader) - start day August 2023
- Paraprofessional (Full-time one-to-one support for a 4th grader) - start day August 2023
- Bus Drivers
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please fill out the form at the link below if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
Storyline chapels are held on the first Wednesday of every month at 1:35pm in the gym. Please remind your child to wear their chapel t-shirt. Parents and guests are WELCOME to attend! You may also join our livestream (and recording) at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/currentfamilies/livestream.cfm
Storyline Chapel Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaU4iNoUawUq8yQH7NLx7eQFcBk06m529
Outlet 75 sells new clothing, shoes, home décor, kitchenware, bedding and more …and all profits go to Sioux Center Christian School and contribute to the Alternate Revenue discount that was on your tuition statement!
Volunteers make this profit possible, and we continue to encourage parents to fulfill the commitment made to volunteer at least 3-4 shifts per year (remembering that we also need volunteers in the summer!)
Sign up now for the February and March shifts – February still has a few openings that need to be filled soon! March has many open shifts that need to be filled! THANKS so much for your help!
Open hours: Wednesdays 11am-8pm and Thursdays 11am – 3pm. One Saturday each month (OPEN THIS SATURDAY, February 11 from 10am-1pm)
Location: About 1 mile south of Sioux Center on Hwy 75. Look for the red flag.
If you have any questions about helping at Outlet 75, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Ashley Keith (email@example.com).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact school 24 hours in advance.
PELLA STAFF MEMBER OF THE MONTH AWARD
Staff Member of the Month: We believe all our faculty and staff are amazing and encourage you to take the time to nominate one (or more) of your children’s teachers!
Complete the nomination form (https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/editoruploads/files/SXC_STAFF_OF_THE_MONTH.pdf; printed copies are available by the TRIP window) and return to our school office or mail to/drop off at Pella Corp. by the 25th of each month during the school year.
Each month a winner is chosen from our local schools and receives a $500 gift card from Sioux Center Pella Corp, which can be used in their classroom to impact learning! Pella kindly keeps nominations “in play” for 3 months to provide multiple opportunities for an outstanding staff member to be recognized. Feel free to re‐nominate someone if you feel they are deserving, and they didn’t win the award during the 3 months that the nomination was in play.
Mrs. Abigail (Clemens) Van Beek won the November award and it would be great if a few more of our teachers were nominated this year!
We are extremely grateful to Pella Corp for this program that serves to encourage and bless our faculty and staff!
FAITH CRC CHRISTIAN ED FREEZER MEAL PICK-UP
Thank you so much to everyone who ordered a Freezer Meal for the Christian Ed fund at Faith CRC! We really appreciate your support!! And we hope you enjoy your meal(s)! You will be able to pick your meals up from the back door of Caseys Bakery on Wednesday Feb. 15 from 2:00-5:30. If you have a hard time getting around and would like your meals delivered to you or if you can not make the pick up dates, we can make other arrangements with you. Payment can be made at the time of pick up. We are suggesting $25 a meal. If you have questions, contact Liz De Groot 541-3911.
https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/currentfamilies/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more!
Currently there is information for:
- Sioux Center Public Library Wings of Fire Escape Box
- Sioux Center Public Library Coding Program
- Dordt Cultural Fair
- Dordt University Fitness Week
- Sioux Center Recreation 3rd & 4th Grade Boys & Girls Basketball
- Hull PRCS Guild 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament
- Iowa State University Extension and Dordt University STEAM FEST
- Inspiration Hills Summer Camp Brochure
- 2023 Drivers Education Options