Cannon News FLASH
Staff Information & Updates 9/15/14
From the Principal's Pen...
Each year, all GCISD staff is provided the opportunity to participate in the Education Foundation Employee Giving Campaign. Mandy Coburn will be serving as our campus representative again this year (Thanks Mandy!) and she will be providing information this week to all staff about this effort. Did you know that Cannon staff received special recognition last year for being the elementary campus that contributed the most money to the Ed. Foundation's Giving Campaign?? Once again, we have a goal to have 100% participation, to support all of the awesome efforts the foundation makes to provide grants that directly support our scholars and staff. Over the years, Cannon scholars and staff have received funding from many grants provided by the Education Foundation! In fact, I was just notified that Cannon has been selected to receive a $2,500 grant from Verizon/GCISD Ed. Foundation to support our STEM program! Thank you in advance for your willingness to support a GREAT cause - the GC Education Foundation! I can't wait to see the grant proposals Cannon staff will submit this year to the foundation! Click here to see the 2014-2015 grant guidelines.
Included in my parent newsletter this week was information about how THEY can also support the great work of our local foundation. This week, on Thursday, September 18th, from 6:00 am- midnight, all community members are being asked to participate in North Texas Giving Day and to designate their contributions to our GCISD Education Foundation. North Texas Giving Day, is an annual, one-day, online fundraising event for North Texas nonprofits. In 2013, this event raised $25.2 million for 1,351 local nonprofits, and set a new national record for giving days in the U.S. This year more than 1,600 nonprofits are registered to participate on September 18 at NorthTexasGivingDay.org. Please help promote this opportunity to parents in all of your communications by sharing this link on behalf of GC Education Foundation.
LISA'S COACHING CORNER
iStation Math/Reading Assessments are in full swing or crashing, it just depends on the moment. (Just remember to keep taking deep breaths.)
Director of Humanities, Dr. Suzanne Newell will be @ Cannon on 9/17 from 1:00-3:00 and will be setting up office in the library during this time. Please feel free to drop by the library to visit with her or ask any questions you have about ELA/ SS assessments, curriculum, SBRC, RtI, or other needs during this time. She is happy to help!
Language Arts: Beginning of the Year (BOY) writing assessments should be completed and scored in two weeks. The deadline for entering the data into Eduphoria is Monday, September 29th. To help aid you in scoring your expository and narrative pieces, there is an e-course in Eduphoria (Workshop) listed under Language Arts called Scoring Student Writing. This training is essential for new teachers and a great review for those of you familiar with the writing rubric. Let me know if you need help but please do not wait until the last week. Here is the link to the prompts if case you are having trouble finding them:
(You MUST be logged into your GCISD gmail account for these to open.)
Collecting the data is an important effort and soon we will begin the process of using it to drive our instruction. I leave you with two thoughts to ponder:
1. Data is only valuable when we take ACTION through effective instruction.
2. The three characteristics of an effective teacher are: a) has good classroom management skills, b) teaches for mastery, and c) has positive expectations for student success.
Remember, I am your supporter and biggest fan!! If I can help you in any way, please let me know.
P.S. Check out my favorite Constitution Day Schoolhouse Rock Song for September 17th below! For your convenience, here is the link: http://youtu.be/FzAJyK0ovo8
CBS-11 FILMED FIRST REAL SCIENCE SEGMENT OF THE SEASON @ CANNON!
The segment is tentatively scheduled to air on CBS-11 on Monday, September 22nd, between 4:00 and 5:00 pm. We will share a link of the recorded segment with all staff as soon as we receive it. Thanks to Julee V., Trisha G., and Alejandra P. for their work on this project! Special thanks to Sharon for her help in updating the robotics software on all computer laptops.
Dates to Remember
9/15 LPAC Training - 3:00
9/16 Fire Drill - 8:30
9/16 PLC Week A - 5th grade - 2:00-3:30
9/16 Parent Technology Night 5:30-7:30
9/17 Dr. Newell - Office hours @ Cannon Library - 1:00-3:00
9/17 PLC Week A - 3rd grade - 2:00-3:30
9/18 PLC Week A - 4th grade - 2:00-3:30
9/19 PTA Family Cookout - 5:30
9/22 Restorative Practices Follow-Up-conferences times/after school
9/22 STEM Leadership Meeting - 3:00 - 3:45 - CANCELED-Reschedule date TBD
9/23 PLC Week B - 1st grade - 2:00-3:30
9/24 Wear Jeans to Support 5th Graders Day!
9/24 PLC Week B - Kinder - 2:00-3:30
9/25 PLC Week B - 2nd grade - 2:00-3:30
9/25 ASPIRE Curriculum Night - 6:00-7:00 library
9/26 Staff Flu Shots @ Cannon
9/26 5th Grade Dance - 6:00-8:00 pm9/29 CEC Meeting - 3:15 - 4:00
9/30 PLC Week A - 5th grade - 2:00-3:30
10/1-10/3 - JPS Healthy Smiles - Science Lab - E-Hall
10/1 PLC Week A -3rd grade 2:00-3:30
10/2 PLC Week A - 4th grade 2:00-3:30
10/2 Picture Day
SUPPORT 5th GRADERS- SKY RANCH FUNDRAISING
Also, please help promote the 5th grade dance, scheduled for Friday, 9/26 from 6:00-8:00 pm, in all of your parent communications. 100% of the funds raised from this event are used to help offset the cost or provide scholarships for 5th graders to go to Sky Ranch.
Hats off to our amazing 5th grade teachers for all of their hard work and efforts so far to raise money for this cause. Within just the first few weeks of school, they have already organized a fundraiser at the grand opening of the new Dollar Tree AND manned a parking lot at GrapeFest, in order to raise money to support their scholars - what a dedicated team!!
Thanks for your help to provide this awesome opportunity for ALL of our 5th grade scholars!
REMINDERS & UPDATES
- STEM BOOK OF THE MONTH 2014-2015 - Our Cannon's STEM Book of the Month is going live starting on Monday! Each month a featured guest reader will share the latest book of the month with scholars in a special segment following KCAN. In addition to the live reading, scholars will learn about the monthly class challenge! So mark your calendars and make sure you and your scholars tune in this Monday right after KCAN to hear our first book for the 2014-2015 school year! Thanks to Tina for her work on new ways to keep our campus tradition of BOM fresh and relevant for scholars and teachers!
- WEAR PATRIOTIC COLORS ON 9/17! Our nation recognizes Constitution Day on 9/17 (required by Federal law), to commemorate the formation/signing of the U.S. Constitution on September 17, 1787. A link below is provided with some suggestions on ways to provide learning opportunities for our scholars about this important holiday. Also, don't forget to encourage your scholars to join staff as we dress in patriotic colors on Wednesday, 9/17. Feel free to wear your BLUE jeans! :-) Click here for Constitution Day lesson ideas or here for more ideas!
- FINAL REMINDERS ABOUT ETHICS TRAINING & FLEX -All staff received an email reminder from HR last week about the deadline for completing the Ethics training. Please note that this is required to be completed by midnight on 9/21. All other required FLEX training must be completed by October 16th (60 days from the start of contracts). These are housed in the GCISD iTunes U course. For those of you who did all of your FLEX trainings early in the summer, please make sure you have completed the Suicide Prevention and Anti-Bullying trainings, which were added later, at the beginning of the year.
- WELCOME KRISTIN HALL TO CANNON! Did you notice the BIG smile on Denisa's face last week? If so, it was likely due to the fact that she has an awesome new paraprofessional working with her! Please take a moment to welcome Kristin Hall to Cannon, in the role of PPCD paraprofessional! Kristin may be familiar to several of you that have been at Cannon for awhile, due to the fact that she is Michelle Hall's daughter. She is a perfect fit for PPCD, as she recently graduated from UNT with her degree in Child Development and completed her internship working in early childhood intervention. Thanks to all of you for welcoming Kristin to Cannon!
- BACK TO SCHOOL FAMILY COOKOUT IS FRIDAY!- PTA/Dad's Club will be kicking off their first big event of the year on Friday, 9/19, from 6:00-8:00 pm. Please help promote the Family Cookout and make plans to attend if possible! The event will be outdoors, so encourage families to bring blankets and/or lawn chairs for use as they enjoy hot dogs & chips, music, and fun outdoor games. See you there!
- FLU SHOTS @ CANNON- Flu shots will be available at Cannon on 9/26, from 7:00-10:00, in the conference room. North Texas Flu Shots will provide immunizations to GCISD employees and family members. Flu shots will be available for dependent children 6 months and up. All children must be accompanied by an adult. You and/or your family members must register online at: www.passageware.com/FluSignUp/GCISD.
- CAMPUS REPRESENTATIVES NEEDED FOR SS COMMITTEE- Suzanne Newell has asked each elementary campus to have one K-2 & one 3-5 representative to serve on the Social Studies Instructional Materials Selection Committee. Beginning in November, Social Studies teachers across the state will begin selecting Social Studies instructional materials in grades K-12. In order to begin planning and preparing for this adoption, this committee must be formed now, in order to be approved by our Board of Trustees in October. Please let Tona know by Friday, September 19th if you are interested in serving on this committee. The responsibilities of the members of this group will be:
- Reviewing grade/course specific instructional materials and sharing options with campus.
- Attending a hearing in January to learn more about material choices.
- Communicating with their campus colleagues about the pros/cons of materials.
- Casting a materials adoption vote in a timely manner on behalf of campus.
- ATTEND UPCOMING CONFERENCES FOR FREE!! - The Science and Instructional Technology Department will partner with campuses to send teachers to the CAST Conference (November 20-22 in Dallas) and to the Area 10/11 Regional TCEA Conference (November 1 - Carrollton). The Science & Instructional Tech department will pay registration for five teachers to attend CAST and they will pay registration for one teacher to attend the Regional TCEA Conference. Please notify Tona asap if you are interested in being considered for one of these opportunities. Tona will provide subs for those going to CAST and will pay the membership fee of $40 for the teacher going to TCEA! Please send an email of interest to Tona by Friday, September 19th. Thanks!
MANDATORY RESTORATIVE PRACTICES FOLLOW-UP DAY - 9/22/14
As part of this initiative, GCISD has asked Charles and the other Restorative Practices trainers to visit each campus on a designated date, to follow up with all teachers about this initiative. Cannon's date has been set as Monday, 9/22/14, during conference times. All instructional staff, that do not have homeroom classes (Special Ed., Specials, ASPIRE, etc..) , will meet with the Restorative Practices team after school @ 3:00 p.m. Attendance at these meetings are mandatory, per the district, so please mark your calendar to attend the meeting during conference times /after school. Tona will be providing Sonic drinks on this day for all staff, (see sign-up sheet in the front office) in appreciation for all of your work and time that has been dedicated to making the use of Restorative Practices a success at Cannon!
- THE GOOGLE JOURNEY WITH TRISHA CONTINUES! - Don't forget that each Monday is Google Journey Day with Trisha! This week's journey will provide the opportunity to explore Chrome extensions and apps. What is the difference between Chrome extensions and apps? Applications can run inside your browser with a dedicated user interface and typically, rich user interaction. Extensions provide extended functionality of Google Chrome and the websites being viewed in it. Stop by Trisha's office during your conference time on Monday explore extensions and apps further!
- TECH NIGHT IS ALMOST HERE! ARE YOU READY? - Copies of the Technology Night flyers will be delivered to classrooms on Monday. Please make sure these go home with ALL students in Monday folders. Also, please make sure you have included this information in all communication with parents. A link was sent out this weekend for a Technology Night folder in Google Docs. Please make sure all presentations, created in Google Slides, have been added to this folder. These will be uploaded to our Cannon website for parents to reference. If you would like to add presentations to your grade level websites that are specific to your grade level, feel free to do so!
- iPad REPLACEMENT PROTECTION PROGRAM - Please continue to send the signed User Agreement page (don't forget to write the teacher name on the form!) and money received for the iPad replacement protection program to Debbie. it is imperative that each teacher maintain a record of which students forms & payments have been received from.
TO DO LIST
- Turn in attendance sheets by 10:15 each day to Robin.
- Finalize all presentations for Technology Night and add to Technology Night folder.
- Encourage your scholars to wear patriotic colors for Constitution Day on 9/17.
- Finish updating teacher website with links to blogs & other social media and check your Teacher page on the Cannon App for accuracy.
- Make plans to attend the Family Cookout on Friday!
- Email Tona to express interest in CAST/TCEA conference attendance and SS Instructional Materials Team representation by 9/19.
- Complete your Ethics training no later than 9/21.
- Tweet & blog about all of the great things you are doing in your classroom/grade!