March 23, 2016
“We succeed only when students succeed. That is our goal. That is our passion. That is our work.” Nate Davis
School Services Announcements
Please turn in your Change Management Plan to your RVP by COB on April 1st, 2016.
Leadership Academy Updates- Recurring from last week
Next Leadership Academy: April 15th at Noon EST.
- Options for Leadership Academy #4 You can choose from Strategic Leadership, Instructional Leadership, Communication, and Organizational Management.
- Darren Reed and Brandi Maynard are coming to your regional meetings Darren and Brandi will come to your regional meetings to share course options, who will be facilitating classes, what you can expect, and answer any questions you may have about Leadership Academies 4-5.
Groupings for Leadership Academy #3
Head of School in the Spotlight
Began with K12: 2006 at AZVA
Superpower: Relationships and building school culture
Fun Fact: My son graduated last year from a k12 school (LAVCA).
Advice to Leaders: I believe in the age old advice that “no one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care”. Always treat people with respect and dignity. People are our greatest resource.
Leadership Video Reflection- The Key to Success is Grit
Check out this video from Angela Lee Duckworth.
Please reflect on the following questions:
- What is the difference between grit and commitment (is there one?)
- If grit is considered to be an important indicator of success, how do we develop and implement a program that promotes it in our leaders?
- Is there a difference between personal and professional grit?
- Is there an argument to be made that every leader is gritty?
Please be ready to share your answers at our upcoming Leadership Academy.
Around The "BOARD TABLE"
Executive Support at your graduation
This is a follow-up reminder from information you received from your RVP. In an effort to support your graduation commencement, please complete the following survey if you wish to request any Executive to attend your school’s graduation. Responses are requested by April 1st to allow for executives to plan accordingly. Every effort will be made to honor the request. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Mike Kazek, firstname.lastname@example.org, 702-219-6998.
Cheers to You!
Take an opportunity to celebrate a colleague(s) via our weekly "Cheers" and shout outs. Here are this week's cheers:
Cheers to the West Region Heads of School for their engagement in our successful summit last week in Simi Valley, CA. We closed our summit with a team building activity at the Reagan Presidential Library!
- Cheers to the West Region team for a fantastic meeting and Academic Plan work session in Simi Valley last week!
- Cheers to RVP Desi Laughlin for arranging a tour of the Reagan National Library for the West Region team. It was nice to leave our computers behind and spend some quality time together in a beautiful venue. We even boarded Air Force One together with our fearless leader!
We would like to highlight your Cheers in the next HOS Highlights newsletter. Feel free to cheer for regional teams as well as your fellow HOS's. Please submit your cheers on the form below.
Past issues of the HOS Highlights
Leadership Academies and HOS meetings Dates
Leadership Academy #2
· October 9th
~October 23rd *HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· November 6th
~November 20th *HOS Call Only
~December 18th *HOS Call Only
~January 22nd *HOS Call Only
~February 12th *HOS Call Only
Leadership Academy #3
· February 26th
~March 11th *HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· March 25th
Leadership Academy #4
· April 15th
~April 29th **HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· May 13th
~May 27th *HOS Call Only
Leadership Academy #5
· June 10th
~ June 24th *HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· July 8th
~July 29th- *HOS Call Only
Reoccurring Information Below
Leadership Academy Titan Pads
Team members: Amanda Conley, Cassie Barton, Josh Williams, Katrina Abston, Lynn Barr, Mark Christiano, Matt Arkin
Team members: Faith Shanholtzer, Kelly Van Sande, Kendall Schroeder, Josh Williams, Marcus Moore, Nicholaus Sutherland, Nicole Tiley, Lynn Barr, Sara Baker
Team members: Pam Jonidis, Beth Lorigan, Caroline McIntosh, David Crook, Ryan Clepper, Stacey Hutchings, Steven Hoff
Team Members: Laurie Erdman, Brandy Osborn, Byron Ernest, Elizabeth Roth, JD McMahan Joel Medley, Theresa Gallagher Scott Sides, Sheryl Tatum
Team Members Sheila Sheibler,Cherry Daniel, Jeffrey Bush, Jessie Thoman, John Huber, Kelly Edginton, Monti Pittman, Theresa Gallagher Suzanne Sloane, Theresa Gallagher, Veronica Clemons
The Leadership Academy Basics
- Weekly Leadership Academies begin at Noon EST every Friday afternoon and run for 90 minutes
- Here is the participant link.
- It is highly recommended that you participate in the weekly academies via BBC because the classes are going to be interactive. Your experience will not be as rich if you join via phone only
- Pertinent school services information that was typically presented during Friday HOS calls will be shared via regional calls, the weekly HOS newsletter, or monthly national HOS calls
- This newsletter will have all of the information you need for the upcoming training and will arrive in your inbox every Wednesday morning
School Leadership Development & Support Team
2015/16 Leadership Academy Content and Focus
2015-2016 Leadership Standards and Practices
Leadership Academy #1- "Explore U": YOU are the focus of Leadership Academy #1 entitled, Explore "U". Throughout the first seven weeks we will focus on your strengths as indicated in the Myers-Briggs assessment most of you took in January, 2015. Throughout the cycle you will build upon your strengths and learn to leverage those strengths to minimize weaknesses.
Leadership Academy #2- "Build It and They Will Come": Your knowledge and expertise will be leveraged to build out content for one of the leadership strands. Each School leader chooses one standard to work with over the course of the 7 week cycle. The goal will be to codify your expertise within the leadership strand to build a complete leadership Academy cycle in your area chosen area.
Leadership Academies #3-5-: Once the content is built, you will choose one strand to focus on for the remaining cycles. Choice is built into the process and we would like you to choose two standards. We suggest you work with your RVP/DRVP to choose one leadership strand that you would like additional support in. The strands include: Strategic Leadership, Instructional Leadership, Community, Human Resources, and Organizational Management.
School Leadership Development Team
The School Leadership Development Team leads the design, development, execution, and evaluation of national programs that build exceptional school leadership across K12’s network of managed schools. The team coordinates school, regional and national efforts to improve leadership practice and school outcomes.