The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of March 9, 2015
Don't forget to post the Words of the Week!
Lesson Plans Due & PARCC Testing BEGINS
Monday, March 9th, 8:30am
Some Important PARCC Reminders:
- Please remember to keep the front hallway quiet as the 3rd graders will be testing in the media center, lab #1, lab #2 & in the demo room.
- Book circulation will not be taking place during testing times (9:00-12:00).
- No announcements will be made via the PA system during testing times.
- Please remember that the prep schedule has been altered to accommodate testing.
- World Cultures will take place in your classrooms due to testing. Just an FYI – this will also be the case during ACCESS testing later on this month.
- Computers will also take place in your classrooms for AM prep periods only. A substitute will be covering so that Mrs. Young can assist with testing.
2nd Grade Team Meeting
Tuesday, March 10th, 2:30-4:30pm
The Curriculum Corner: The Standards of Mathematical Practice
In last week's article Sue O'Connell encourages us to focus on several areas as we consider SMP #1:
- Process: Sequencing
- Strategies: Operations, Organizing/Interpreting Information & Adjusting as Needed
- Attitude: Promoting perseverance through multiple step problems
Most importantly though, she stresses the importance of having students justify/explain their work with their peers as well as with us. In this week's article we explore SMP #2: Reason Abstractly & Quantitatively. Click on the link below to read more, and don't forget to share your thoughts via social media, email or in the footer of The Buzz!
News & Notes
- I will be reviewing student attendance in anticipation of Parent/Teacher Conferences. I would like to meet with the parents of students with excessive absences during conference week. Stay tuned for updates...
- This month's issue of Ed Leadership is all about "cultural responsiveness" and the timing couldn't have been better considering we spent our February In-service talking about this very topic! I have a copy of the issue in my office and can provide electronic copies of the articles. If you would like to check it out, stop on by! Topics include: differentiation, assisting ELL's, homelessness & much more...see below for a sample!
You're the Best...Quotes from the staff!
- Thanks to all of our aides for the many things they do to help our students on a daily basis
- Thank you Dionne, Amanda, Brandi & the Technology Team for all your work in preparation for the PARCC. The rollout couldn't have gone smoother!
- Thank you Mrs. Young for your great help in the computer lab during the Parcc training session!!
- Amanda for all your help with the PARCC
- 3rd grade friends for all the collegiality
- 03/02: Scholastic Pajama Drive Begins (3/2-3/6)
- 03/06: Monthly Collaboration Time
- 03/09: PARCC Assessment Begins (03/09-03/13)
- 03/16: PARCC Make-ups (03/16-03/20)
- 03/23: Parent Teacher Conferences & Book Fair (03/23-03/27)
- 03/26: 2nd Grade Concert (9:30 AM, Gymnasium)
- 03/30: ACCESS Testing Begins