By: Jose' Grubbs
Classification of Bananas.
- Bananas are classified as a tropical fruit from places like , Ecuador, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Honduras.
- Other fruits that are tropical include fruits such as pineapples, mangos and etc.
- Some of the qualities to look for when purchasing bananas would be too inspect the bananas to be over ripened which the color would be brown.
- Store bananas at room temperature before consuming or cooking.
- Bananas are found in the supermarket as fresh and never frozen.
- 1 full banana would count as a serving size.
Vitamins and minerals such as Potassium, Vitamin C, Fiber, Biotin, Copper, and carbohydrates are found in Bananas.
The specific mineral Potassium is important to the body because it really helps the heart function.
Some tips for cooking with bananas would be messing with ripening. If the bananas you buy are too green, you can put them in a brown paper bag with an apple or tomato overnight to speed up the ripening process. You can slow down the banana ripening process by storing the fruit in the refrigerator. The skin may darken, but the banana will be just right for several days.
Recipe that includes bananas: Banana bread
Banana Bread Recipe
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Yield: Makes one loaf.
No need for a mixer for this recipe! Clean-up is easy too, if you want, you can mix everything in one bowl.
The best bananas to use for banana bread are those that are over-ripe. The yellow peels should be at least half browned, and the bananas inside squishy and browning.
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup of sugar (can easily use 3/4 cup, or drop it down to 1/2 cup if you want it less sweet)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and butter a 4x8-inch loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
Mix in the baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour.
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes (check at 50 minutes) at 350°F (175°C), or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack. Remove the banana bread from the pan. Slice and serve. (A bread knife helps to make slices that aren't crumbly.)