West High School's Weekly Updates: Jan. 13th-Jan. 19th
Student-Produced Theater On Display
Fire Exit by Stacie Lents:
Everybody at Westfield High School thinks they know what happened the day of the fire. Fire Exit opens in the aftermath, as the community faces what appears to be a prank gone terribly wrong. But as the kids and adults open up about their lives and the bigger picture of the day's events emerges, the truth proves to be far less simple. Told through a series of poignant and often very funny monologues, Fire Exit is a powerful ensemble piece that proves things, and people, aren't always as they seem.
10 Ways to Survive the End of the World by Don Zolidis
These days, it feels like the end of the world could happen any minute. But are the machines or the apes going to be the first to rise up against us? Are we looking at a killer asteroid or a killer virus here? Better get ready for them all! Any way the end times arrive, you just might have a shot at survival with this hilarious how-to guide called 10 Way to Survive the End of the World, a new comedy by Don Zolidis.
Winter Weather Play Havoc with School Activities
The winter storm that blew through the state last weekend resulted in many cancellations of student activities. In general, most activities will be rescheduled, but, when no open dates are available, some activities are cancelled. Here is a run-down of changes that have been announced as of press time. Make sure you check rschooltoday for all the latest athletic events and the school website calendar for all other events.
- State Debate Championship will be held on Friday and Saturday January 17 and 18 at West High School. This is a change from Ankeny High school, so the debate team is looking for volunteers to assist with concessions, room escorts and score tabulation. Contact Cooper.firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
- The Lepic Dual Wrestling meet has been cancelled and will not be made up this year.
- The home boys basketball game with Cedar Falls high school has been rescheduled to Saturday, February 8. Sophomore game to start at 2:30 and the boys game will start at 3:30.
- Swim Meet at Linn-Mar High school has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.
Students Get Ready for MLK Day
MLK Day at West High is coming soon so this week students will get their first chance to see the sessions that will be offered this year. On Monday, students will be prompted to look over the session selections during AFT period. On Wednesday, students will learn how to register for their sessions and the website will be open for registrations and students will get a complete overview of how to use the scheduling software.
In addition, MLK Day t-shirts are now available! Purchase a t-shirt here until Wednesday, January 15
Sizes available Youth Small – Adult XXL
Shirts will be available on Wednesday, January 22 just in time to wear for MLK on Thursday, January 23.
Students Present Research On eCigarettes to PSTO
WHS Events This Week
- Boys Varsity Swimming vs Kennedy on Tuesday, Jan. 14th at Coralville REC at 6:00pm
- Girls Varsity Basketball vs Waterloo East on Tuesday, Jan. 14th at 7:30pm
- Varsity Wrestling vs Liberty on Thursday, Jan. 16th in the Main Gym at 7:00pm
- SPIT Drama Production on Thursday and Friday, Jan. 16th & 17th in the Little Theatre at 7:00pm
- Midterm Grades Due on Friday, Jan. 17th at 8:00am
- Show Choir Competition #1-Muscatine "River City Showcase" on Saturday, Jan. 18th
- WHS Dance Marathon on Sunday, Jan. 19th in the Cafeteria 12:00pm-6:00pm
- NO SCHOOL (District Offices Closed) on Monday, Jan. 20th
WHS Sports In The News
Sign Up For Conferences!
On January 22, West High will be holding parent/teacher conferences. From 4:30 to 7:00 pm, conferences will be prescheduled. From 7:00 to 8:00 pm, conferences are held on a drop in basis. Conferences will be held in teacher rooms, and parents can sign up for conferences using the online service, myconferencetime.com. https://www.myconferencetime.com/icwest.
Note that families are restricted to three scheduled conferences until the day of conferences.
The Sound of Music Cast and Crew Lists
The Sound of Music Cast List
Maria Rainer-Karissa Burkhardt
Mother Abbess-Julia Fink
Sister Berthe-Katherine Yacopucci
Sister Margaretta-Ahjiana Walker Garcia
Sister Sophia-Maia DeGrazia
Sister Catherine-Keira Jones
Sister Agatha-Margaret Penning
Sister Bernice-Jenna Wang
Captain Georg von Trapp-Sean Harken
Franz the butler-Joseph Polyak
Frau Schmidt the housekeeper-Maggy Owen
Rolf Gruber-Eric Shaffer
Elsa Schraeder-Asha Sandhu
Max Detweiler-Sam Nester
Herr Zeller-Ronan Smith
Baron Elberfeld-Cyrus Yoder
Baroness Elberfeld-Leah Rietz
A New Postulant-Sarah Dickens
Admiral von Schreiber-Jack Hinman
Harpur Barahona, Emma Barker, Kate Cannon, Ryann Culver, Alina Davis, Maia DeGrazia, Tess DeGrazia, Niyati Deshpande, Sarah Dickens, Quinten Eberly, Miranda Feng, Ava Ferrel, Aniyah Flynn, Emily Granfield, Jack Hinman, Grace Hinrichs, Robert Hooks, Schuyler Houston, Danielle Hribar, Keira Jones, Himani Laroia, Noah Miller, Erin-Leigh Moses, Sophie Nims, Margaret Penning, McKenna Proud, Leah Rietz, Kaitlyn Schmidt-Rundell, Katie Ruppenkamp, Lily Smith, Patrick Taylor, Ahjiana Walker Garcia, Sumner Wallace, Jenna Wang, Emma Westgard, Katherine Yacopucci, Cyrus Yoder
Show Choirs Appear on Hancher Stage
Congratulations to the Good Time Company, Showtime and David Haas and Luigi Enriquez for putting on such a great show!
For all the latest WHS news, check the on-line edition of the award-winning school newspaper.
Welcome to The West High Weekly
It is the policy of the Iowa City Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact Jeremy Tabor, Director of Equity and Employee Relations, 1725 N. Dodge St., Iowa City, IA 52245, 319-688-1000, Tabor.Jeremy@iowacityschools.org.