The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - February 7, 2021
A Note from Principal Welch
This week will be a fun week for so many of our students, families, and staff. This week we celebrate our PTA Domino's Dough Raiser & PTA Meeting (Tuesday), 100th Day of School (Wednesday), Picture Day (Thursday afternoon), Lunar New Year (Friday), and Valentine's Day (Sunday). I also know some of your classrooms will have fun Valentine's Day celebrations on Friday. This will be a great week and I can't wait to see our students in person on Thursday! It is not too late to sign-up for a picture time. See the section and link below to be a part of our Cottage Lake picture day.
I also want to make sure you know we have the week of February 15 off of school to celebrate President's Day and our Mid-Winter Break.
I miss you all and hope we will be able to see each other soon. Please stay in touch with Dr. Reid's weekly COVID emails. As soon as I hear of an official start date for any of our students, I will be sure to share that! I have been planning the hybrid return with our FSA staff for some time now and will begin to look closer at details for Kindergarten and first grade soon. We are doing all we can to plan for a safe return for staff and students.
Let's have a great week ahead and I wish you all relaxation and fun during our Mid-Winter break. I will be in contact again towards the end of next week. Please read all the information below, as there is a lot of information included. Thank you!
Jen Welch, Principal
•• SCHOOL NEWS ••
Picture Day is THIS Thursday, February 11
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080E4AADA729AAFD0-picture. (Many of our earlier spots are already almost full.) Each student/family will need to sign-up for a time slot. Students MUST be signed up for a time and there must be a parent/guardian present to complete the attestation questions.
During each 15 minute time, there will be 16 slots. All safety precautions will be in place: ensuring social distancing, temperature taking of students before they get out of your vehicle, parents/guardians will need to complete an attestation form confirming the student is system-free and has not been around anyone with COVID, everyone will wear a mask, and students should come picture-ready at their set picture time.
To order pictures, please go to https://www.dorianstudio.com/prepayment/ click on our school, Cottage Lake Elementary, and place your order. You do NOT have to order a picture package, but they are available if you are interested.
There will be a make-up day scheduled. This will likely be in March.
The process for our Picture Day:
- Students will arrive in our car drop-off area.
- Staff will greet your car to verbally complete the attestation form and take the student's temperature.
- If there is no temperature and no contact or symptoms, students will get out of car and check-in with a staff member by the cafeteria. All parents stay in their car.
- Students will use hand sanitizer and join the waiting line by standing on one of the colored dots.
- Students will keep their masks on until the photographer asks them to remove it.
- After the picture is taken, students will exit the cafeteria out the back door and a volunteer will walk students around the corner and back to their car.
- Families drive off and enjoy the rest of their evening. :)
News from our PTA
As we partner with our PTA to make the best school possible, Rachel Tarr, our PTA President, shares a few upcoming events with you. You will find further PTA news at the bottom of the newsletter, as well.
- PIZZA!!! We will have a Domino's Pizza Fundraiser is this Tuesday, February 9. The Cottage Lake Domino's will donate 30% of all purchases between 4:00-7:00 PM to our PTA! You can choose delivery or pick it up curbside. You can even schedule your order in advance on their website. We will not be asking for individual teacher names during this order window, rather Cottage Lake PTA will receive 30% of all purchases!! This is a win all the way around!
- After you have devoured your pizza, our February PTA meeting is also this same evening, February 9. Order pizza for the family and then join us at 7:00 PM for our PTA Meeting. (Zoom Meeting ID 556 758 0614). Everyone's welcome!
- 2020-21 Yearbook Pictures Needed! This year most of our yearbook photos will come from you, the parents. Help us capture memories of our Sailors from this unique school year. Upload your pictures on the PTA website www.cottagelakepta.org in the Yearbook Photos Tab.
- ***By submitting photos, you are giving authorization for them to be used in the 2020-21 Cottage Lake Elementary yearbook.
Kindergarten registration is OPEN!!
Spread the word!! We want Kindergarten students!!
If there are questions about the registration process, please email Mrs. Negrin (email@example.com) or Mrs. MckInnon (firstname.lastname@example.org). Email is the best communication avenue at this time. We do not have staff regularly working on site.
We are excited to welcome new families to Cottage Lake!
Book Circulation for ALL!!
Readers, Readers..... we are looking for more readers!!
You can now order books EVERY WEEK!!
We are now moving our book circulation to EVERY WEEK!! The schedule will stay posted for reference, but if your student wants books weekly or needs to keep them an extra week, they can order any time and the books will be ready the following Thursday. If you want to borrow a book, please complete the link below to reserve books for your student(s).
- ALL STUDENTS - Your upcoming book distribution day is: Thursday, February 11
- Order books now so you can have books to enjoy during Mid-Winter break!
- We are extending the book ordering window until Monday evening.
- If you want books, please fill out this form http://go.nsd.org/sailorbooks by MONDAY, February 8 @ 8:00 PM
Please click on the button below to locate the book circulation schedule (this is updated regularly) and find the request form in one place.
Please click on this link to find our online library book request forms and the upcoming schedule of delivery and pick-up weeks. This schedule will continue to be updated. Happy Reading!
Participation during Specialists
Our specialist teachers of PE, Music, and Library have seen a decrease of students participating in live teaching classes and would love for more students to participate in their recorded lessons, as well. For your student to show their participation during recorded lessons, teachers have linked a Google form students need to complete each week. This is where they share their learning.
If you need help accessing your student's specialist link, please visit your specialist teacher's Schoology page, reach out to them via email, or contact Ms. Welch.
See you online soon!
Materials Pick Up coming soon! - Added February 8 to newsletter
- Last names A-H, pick-up between 1:00-2:00 PM
- Last names I-O, pick-up between 2:00-3:00 PM
- Last names P-Z, pick-up between 3:00-4:00 PM
- Those families who couldn't come at the earlier times, 4:00-5:00 PM
•• District News ••
•• REPEAT of District News ••
Woodin Elementary's Dual-Language program
Calling all K-2 Northshore Families....
Does your family speak Spanish at home?
Is your family interested in exploring a new language?
Woodin’s Dual-Language Immersion Program is a bilingual educational program integrating English Language Learners and English-speaking students for instruction in and through two languages (English & Spanish).
Please join us on Tuesday, February 9th from 5:00-6:00 PM for a virtual parent information night to share more details on our Dual-Language Immersion Program. Please RSVP to Theresa Cussac (email@example.com) if you plan on attending this event.
Zoom link for the event: https://nsd.zoom.us/j/86023169534
Waivers for the 2021-2022 school year will soon be accepted. This is earlier than before, as we look to have a better understanding of our student numbers for the next school year. Please see below for the dates we will begin accepting waivers.
If you live In-District:
- Grades K-12 - February 22, 2021
- IHS IB Program - December 7, 2020
- ILHS 10th Grade - December 7, 2020
- 9th grade - Fill the application online
- 9th grade - Fill the application online
If you live Out of District:
- Current Students staying at their current school - February 22, 2021
- Current Students transitioning to 6th or 9th grade - April 19, 2021
- New Students - May 7, 2021
- IHS IB Program - December 7, 2020
- ILHS 10th Grade - December 7, 2020
- 9th Grade - Fill the application online
You can also find further waiver information by visiting: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/waivers
Cothes For Kids
Clothes For Kids is still open and serving local students by appointment only. We will be open to student shoppers Monday-Friday until at least the end of April. We will also be open on Saturday, February 20th. Students who have already shopped with Clothes For Kids before the winter break can now schedule an appointment to shop for a second wardrobe.
Families need to schedule an appointment for each student shopper:
https://clothesforkids.org/book-an-appointment/ If students/families are uncomfortable coming in to shop right now, our volunteers can choose the clothing for the students and set a time for the family to pick it up at the Clothes For Kids shop (take-out style) within one week.
In part due to the lack of Lost and Found clothing this year, our inventory is getting low in some areas and we are looking for donations of gently-used clothing. Please think of us if you are cleaning out your closets!
Right now, Clothes For Kids’ most-needed items are:
- Boys' Heavy coats - sizes 6-18
- Teen Boy’s Heavy coats - men’s sizes S-XXL
- Boys’ Pants - athletic pants preferred, sizes 5T-18
- Teen Boy Pants - athletic pants preferred, men’s sizes S-XXL
- Athletic shoes - Kids’ sizes 8-13 and 1-6
If you have any questions or concerns about the school wardrobe program, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org or 425.741.6500.
PACE Application Deadline For The 2021-2022 School Year
PACE (Parents Active in Cooperative Education), a choice educational enrichment program offered through the Northshore School District, is currently accepting applications for the 2021-2022 school year. All applications are due prior to the February 5th PACE lottery drawing deadline, and a virtual tour is required prior to application.
The hallmarks of PACE include an enhanced educational experience due to high parent involvement, enrichment activities, encouragement for students to become self-motivated learners and a strong sense of community among families. Families commit to a minimum number of volunteer hours per year of program support. PACE is located at three elementary school sites in the district with feeder patterns from all Northshore elementary schools.
Ever wonder what goes on in the classrooms of PACE at Wellington? What do students learn and experience? Who are the teachers? How does distance learning affect PACE? Is PACE a good fit for your family? PACE is NSD's choice parent cooperative enrichment program.
Sign up for a virtual tour to get answers to all of these questions, and much more! Reserve your spot here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4fafad29a0fc1-pace
**The tour is required if you are a new family looking to enter the PACE lottery on February 5th. If you have questions, please drop it in the comments below or email email@example.com.
For more information about the PACE program, please visit http://www.nsd.org/PACE
The Northshore School District has continued our contract with 6crickets who will continue to maintain a database of community organizations that are offering after-school enrichment opportunities through the end of the 2020-2021 school year. The database has enrichment opportunities focused on theater, baking, STEM, public speaking and more.
More information and a link to the database can found on the NSD website at the link below:
Does your Cottage Lake Elementary student need a device for online learning? Please use the link below to sign up and sign the waiver. After you submit your form, Mr. Paganini will be in contact with you to set a pick-up time for you. For students in Kindergarten & Grade 1, we are issuing iPads. For students in Grade 2 through Grade 5, we are issuing Chromebooks. Students will keep these devices at home until we return to school.
Meals during remote learning and hybrid learning
Beginning Wednesday, September 9, we are offering free meals for ALL children ages 18 and younger. Students do not need to be enrolled in the Northshore School District to receive meals. This is GREAT news for each of our families; these are your tax dollars at work. I am so pleased this funding has been continued, allowing us to extend these meal services until the end of December.
Please visit our District website for more information about how and when to place your order, times and locations for meal pick-up, pricing, and how to apply for free and reduced-price meals.
For quick links:
- CLICK HERE to place an order for DAILY MEALS. [The order window time will be 2:00 PM-11:59 PM the day prior to meal pick-up. Orders include breakfast and lunch, including 16oz of milk. Orders placed for a Friday pick-up will also include meals for the weekend.]
- CLICK HERE to place an order for WEEKLY MEAL PACKS. [Weekly Meal Packs will include breakfast and lunch for an entire week, including a gallon of milk. The order window will open at 2:00 PM every Wednesday and close at 2:00 PM every Thursday. Pick up for these meals will be on Wednesday the following week.]
Please consider ordering food! Our district is committed to feeding our children during this challenging time.
•• PTA NEWS ••
Search: Cottage Lake PTA.
[YES, our PTA accounted is listed in Tacoma, but it IS our school's PTA located in Woodinville, WA.]
After selecting our school's PTA, each time you want to shop, begin with visiting www.smile.amazon.com, and then shop. You must first log into the smile.amazon.com for purchases to be eligible for the cash back opportunity.