IB Research Skills Class
Be ready for your Extended Essay!
Why take this course?
Some of the topics you will study in the class include the following:
- the resources available to you in the Las Positas College library and online
- the research process
- evaluating sources
- citation style
- navigating an academic library
Earn .5 unit of college credit!
- January 30th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
- February 27th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
- March 27th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
- April 24th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
To be successful in the course, you must:
- Attend & participate in all nine hours of in-class meetings (including in-class exercises).
- Complete approximately 2 hours of homework after each session (including a final project due after the last session).
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the material.
During November: Apply to LPC online for Spring 2017. Print out your confirmation page to submit with the forms that are due later in November (described below).
Notes for filling out the form: Granada's school code is 013339.
By Tuesday, November 29th: Submit the "Concurrent Enrollment Recommendation Form," the "Parent/Guardian Authorization Form," and the application confirmation printout to Ms. McGowan in the library. We will have the GHS counselors sign them and print out your transcripts, and we will submit them to LPC admissions on your behalf. Forms are here.
Notes for filling out the Concurrent Enrollment Recommendation Form: Course reg. #: 32916; Course: LIBR; Course No.: 4; Section No.: VO1; Units: .5; and Prerequisites: N/A.
Beginning December 14th: You will need to enroll in the class after December 14th. (Don't worry if the class appears full; they will over enroll to accommodate us.) Directions for enrolling are here.
Before class begins: Visit the campus. Get accustomed to the campus and find the library. Then find the Admissions and Records office in building 1600 to submit your payment of $18 and get your student ID card.
Improve your academic research skills.
You may be wondering
- Yes. Regular enrollment fees are waived, but the mandatory student health and representation fees are assessed. It costs students $18.00 to take the class. That said, if your family has financial need, please contact Mr. Cariveau (IB Coordinator), and we will work with you.
- No. You will need to arrange for transportation to and from Las Positas College. Please consider arranging a carpool. Parking is $2 per day.
- Although the course is not technically required, it is highly recommended.
- Sure! The skills you learn in this course will help you with your high school research assignments, while preparing you for college-level writing.
Contact and location information
GHS Extended Essay Coordinator
Sherry McGowan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
GHS counselor, overseeing IB
Tyler Johnston (email@example.com)LPC admissions
LPC Faculty librarian
Kali Rippel (Krippel@laspositascollege.edu)