Modified Start of School Newsletter
Rolland-Warner 6/7 Campus - Aug 28
I am so appreciative of the conduct of all at our schedule pickup! I realize at the beginning of the 6th grade schedule pickup the photographers had some technical difficulties that caused a delay, however, again I truly appreciate everyone's patience.
In the following headings you will note I arranged the first part of this newsletter in date order so one can easily see the plan for the next month! This information will assist in understanding the newly developed modified start to school plan and how that will look at RW. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the office!
Finally as mentioned previously, our traditional Meet the Teacher is not possible, so the teachers have made brief welcome videos for the students. I hope this assists in relieving any anxieties.
I truly cannot wait to see students on Sept 8!
On-Boarding - Week of Sept 8-11
This one day is going to offer our staff many opportunities to set expectations, build rapport and disseminate vital information to students to ensure they have a successful transition to online and the rest of the year, no matter the format.
Being students are only in the building for one day, they are going to take their backpacks with them from class to class as to not waste our precious limited time with the students trying to open lockers. Students that completed the technology forms at Schedule Pick-up will also be bringing home a Chromebook with them the day they attend.
Students that have their own technology are encouraged to bring with them for the day to limit devices needing cleaning. If they do not, they will utilize the same Chromebook throughout the day and turn into their 6th hour teacher.
RW Daily Schedule
LCS Remote Learning Sept 14-Oct 2
Please note Zero Hour is for PLTW students, this may be PLTW, SpringBoard, or Social Studies.
Meet the Teacher
Student Daily Self-Screening
Should the student exhibit any of the COVID-19 symptoms while at the school they will be isolated and parents must come pick up the student and follow the procedures laid out in the LCS COVID-19 Preparedness & Response Student Procedures.
A free app is available for any Michigan Resident to self-screen at https://misymptomapp.state.mi.us/
Utilize the LCS COVID-19 Parent Screening Tool below:
RW Band Offers Extension
Please see the schedule and letter below for more information.
Supporting Those Without Home Internet
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND:
- Try wearing the mask at home first! Some masks are just more comfortable than others, have the students try the masks at home. The first day is going to be a long day and you don't want to wear a mask that hurts your ears all day!
- Sending multiple masks. As the masks get moist from our breathing, the student may feel much better with a new dry mask!
- Send facial wipes in student's backpack. Even with our air conditioning, wearing a mask will cause student's to sweat. Certainly not the end of the world, however, using a facial wipe in the middle of the day maybe just what the student needs to feel fresh again.
I cannot stress the importance of not only you signing up as a parent, but having your child sign up on their cell phone or device, to keep track of their progress! The ownership this allows them is EXTREMELY powerful!
If you have already created a PowerSchool account, please use the same username and password as you have in the past.
If you have not yet created an account:
- Make sure you have an access code and password (provided by the district) for each child. If you do not, you can request them from the building secretaries firstname.lastname@example.org or Rochelle Fritz at email@example.com.
- Make sure you go into the "Create an Account" section and create a new account and fill out all information in the online form. Where it says "Desired User Name", come up with your own username, then enter the password that you want to use (you have to enter it twice). If your username is already taken by somebody else, you can either choose from the suggested names listed or try another username on your own.
- In the "Link Students to Account" area, type in your student's name, then the “Parent Access” ID and password. You can add additional students that you have access codes for if needed, but for each one make sure you enter the “parent access” ID and password for that student.
Please click this link for PowerSchool Mobile how-to video. You will need the District Code "SGMG" and your parent (or child's for them to add to their phone) access id, which can be found on your child's schedule or by emailing the office.
Our counselors are hard at work on creating the best possible schedules for the upcoming school year and are here to answer any questions you should have about schedules or provide some encouragement for our students for next year! Thinking about a part time virtual schedule? Contact our counselors!
Need assistance with the mental health of students, please contact these ladies below.
Developing a strong relationship with your counselor will certainly improve ones years at RW!
Mrs. Cheryl Price; firstname.lastname@example.org; (Ext. 3307)
Mrs. Michele Tibbitt; email@example.com (Ext. 3308)
Google Classroom Code: n6f3ucn
Mrs. Sarah Prendergast; firstname.lastname@example.org (Ext. 4336)
Drop Off and Pickup
I would be remiss if I mentioned school safety and did not promote careful driving and patience in our drop-off and pickup loop. The Transportation Research Board reports that 25,000 children are injured every year in school zone accidents. What this means is, while we place tremendous emphasis on building safety in many areas, students are probably much more likely to be injured or killed in the parking lot or within a quarter mile of the school. While no school has a perfect pickup and drop off routine, RW’s is very efficient because we have such a nice big parking lot and long loop for cars on the East side of the building (off of Demille). Please wait patiently in the line to pick students up and drive very cautiously as you move through. Also, all RW parents MUST use the lot off of Demille and NOT the Kids & Company lot for drop-off and pickup. Please refer to the map below for specifics on the procedures. Remember drop-off time in the morning is NO EARLIER than 9 AM and with social distancing requirements we request you drop off children as close to start time of 9:24 AM as possible (remember to give time for walking to class and breakfast if desired).
- Mrs. Dodge as our new Choir teacher. She comes with a great background in vocal ensemble.
- Mr. Juszkiewicz as our new ELA teacher. He comes to us with experience at many grade levels with many different groups of students!
Mark Your Calendars!
The new school year is just around the corner. Please make a note of all the following important dates that may have been altered on your calendars to get the new school year off to a great start, however, remember these dates and times are subject to change due to the pandemic.
September 8th - 11th - LCS On-Boarding Week
September 8th - Students with last name A-D attend school face-to-face
September 9th - Students with last name E-K attend school face-to-face
September 10th - Students with last name L-R attend school face-to-face
September 11th - Students with last name S-Z attend school face-to-face
September 14th - Start of Full Online Experience
October 5th - Start of Modified Face-to-Face
October 30th – No School for All Students
Rolland-Warner Contact Information
Wyatt Stevens, Principal
Rich Cross, Associate Principal/Athletics
Kent Meister, Dean of Students
Renee Shrontz, Head Secretary