Nations at Risk
What Is It?
Nations at Risk: The Imperative for Educational Reform is the title of the 1983 report of American President Ronald Reagan's National Commission on Excellence in Education. Its publication is considered a landmark event in modern American Education history. Among other things, the report contributed to the ever-growing assertion in that American schools were failing, and it touched off a wave of local, state, and federal reform effort.
- Public has high commitment
- There is always hope
- Educational reform should focus on the goal of creating a Learning Society.
- Some 23 million American adults are functionally illiterate by the simplest tests of everyday reading, writing, and comprehension.
- Over half the population of gifted students do not match their tested ability with comparable achievement in school.
- Average tested achievement of students graduating from college is also lower.
The Imperative for Educational Reform is the title of the 1983 report of American President Ronald Reagan's National Commission on Excellence in Education.