Math Stuff #6
Highlighting some Math Ideas and Strategies
Mathematical Process Standards
The student uses mathematical processes to acquire and demonstrate mathematical understanding. The student is expected to:
A. Apply mathematics to problems arising in everyday life, society, and the workplace
B. Use a problem-solving model that incorporates analyzing given information, formulating a plan or strategy, determining a solution, justifying the solution, and evaluating the problem-solving process and reasonableness of the solution
C. Select tools, including real objects, manipulatives, paper and pencil, and technology, as appropriate, and techniques including mental math, estimation, and number sense, as appropriate, to solve problems.
D. Communicate mathematical ideas, reasoning, and their implications using multiple representations, including symbols, diagrams, graphs and language as appropriate
E. Create and use representations to organize, record, and communicate mathematical ideas
F. Analyze mathematical relationships to connect and communicate mathematical ideas
G. Display, explain, and justify mathematical ideas and arguments using precise mathematical language in written and oral communication
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 1) - 3RD GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
· Investigations Unit 3 Session 3.1: Subtraction Facts – Split the lesson up over the course of the week. Ideas: Use the Intro one day and make the cards the rest of the week;
Could separate each strategy into different days, teacher decides how to complete but must make cards with an emphasis on the addition fact correlation
Create your own Quick Images using Ten Frames and Place Value Pieces
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 1) - 4TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
· Multiplication Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
· Investigations Unit 5 Session 2.5: Close to 1,000
Continue work on understanding story problems by reading, retelling, modeling/acting out, and choose the operation.
Do a sorting activity in which students sort problems into the operation they would use and write the equation that matches. Do not solve for the answer at this time.
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 1- 5TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
· Multiplication/Division Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
· Investigations Unit 6 Session 1.1 – Decimals on Grids
Investigations Unit 6 Session 1.2 – Introducing Thousandths