8th Grade ELA News
March 21, 2016
Our Learning Targets
Our goals this week are:
- Continue reading Outliers.
- Review standards for Milestones.
- Identify rhetoric devices in persuasive articles and in Outliers.
- Develop a constructed response identifying the theme in a short story.
- Identify the different text structures being used in a variety of passages in Outliers.
- Identify the author's claim in each chapter.
- Students should be reading at least 30 minutes per night.
8th Grade ELA Overview
During each unit, students will explore the elements of effective writing, read and analyze fiction and nonfiction, and develop reading strategies. Students will examine literature from the perspective of a writer and use their study of literature to improve their own writing. Students will improve their vocabulary through a variety of activities. Utilizing mentor sentences, students will analyze grammatical structures in writing. Students will maintain a portfolio to demonstrate their growth in language arts. Reading, writing, language, viewing, speaking and listening skills will be developed through a variety of individual and group assignments.