Connections Classes @ Elkins Pointe
Elkins Pointe Connections
What does "Connections" mean?
SOME INFORMATION ON CONNECTIONS:
- General Connections classes last nine (9) weeks (i.e. Construction, Art, Business & Computer Science). General Connections are assigned randomly. It is not possible to make requests. P.E. and Health are Fulton County Requirements and must be taken once per year. Your child can only be assigned Health one time per year, if your child is placed in Health more than once, please have your child go to see the Curriculum Assistant Principal. See below for the full list of General Connections.
- Performing Music Connections are yearlong. They are BAND, CHORUS, ORCHESTRA.
- 8th-GRADE ONLY: YEARBOOK (students must apply in the 7th-grade to be accepted into this yearlong connection), WEB (To be a WEB Leader in the 8th-grade, students must apply in the 7th-grade to be accepted into this yearlong connection), 9th GRADE INTRO TO ART is offered to 8th-grade ONLY. Students must register for this course; space is limited.
OPTION A - GENERAL CONNECTIONS PROGRAM: This option is for those students who wish to explore several different program areas and who do not wish to be in Band, Chorus or Orchestra. Students will participate in eight (8) connections classes per school year. Each Connections class lasts for nine (9) weeks.
OPTION B - PERFORMING MUSIC CONNECTIONS PROGRAM: This option is for those students who wish to take Band, Chorus, or Orchestra for the entire schools year. Students selecting this option will take one period of Band, Chorus, or Orchestra and one period which will consist of four General Connections.
All students will participate in Health and P.E. Each of these connections classes will be for nine (9) weeks.
GEBERAL CONNECTIONS - REQUESTS NOT PERMITTED
We offer the following General Connections classes:
- Art - Students follow the FCS Art Curriculum to learn and make art in multiple formats. Teacher: Ms. Powell
- Adventure Quest - Through the use of the environment around them, students team building and like-skills. Teacher: Coach Tongue
- Business & Computer Science - This academic connections class focuses on computer and business skills. Students learn how to make resumes, use software such as Excell, learn to dress professionally, make business proposals (i.e. Shark Tank). Teacher: Ms. Lindesay
- Constructions & Architecture - Students learn the types of tools, about the various professions in Construction, are introduced to plumbing, building, and electrical wiring. This class is both academic and hands-on. Teacher: Mr. Moffit
- General Music - This class covers music basics from guitar playing to keyboarding. Students are introduced to various types of music. Teacher: Mr. Baugh
- Health (mandatory)
- P.E. (mandatory)
CONNECTIONS REQUIRING STUDENT APPLICATIONS
- AVID - AVID is an academic connections class. It is a year-long for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. The focus on AVID is to give students the skills to put them on the track for college. To learn more about AVID, click HERE. Teacher: Mrs. Meredith Tongue
- "Intro to Art" High School Class - This semester class is actually a high school class. It is open only to 8th-graders. Students must apply to part of this class. This class counts as .5 high school credit and fulfills the high school pre-requisite for art. Teacher: Mrs. Suckow.
- Yearbook - Students put together the Elkins Pointe Yearbook. The students take photos, design the layout, and create the content. The yearbook is only open to 8th-grade. Students must complete an application in 7th-grade to apply to be a member of this class. Teacher: Mrs. Suckow
PERFORMING MUSIC CONNECTIONS PROGRAM
- Band Teacher: Mr. Todd Wilson with Band Assitant Mrs. Kathleen Burkhardt
- Chorus Teacher: Mr. Charles Baugh
- Orchestra Teacher: Mr. Seth Gamba
MEET THE MUSIC TEACHERS
Let's Hear It For The Band
Mr. Todd Wilson graduated from The University of Georgia with a Bachelor's degree in music education in 2000 and a Master's degree in music education in 2002. Mr. Wilson completed his Education Specialist degree in Music from Auburn University in 2006 graduating. He is married to Mrs. Wendy Entrekin Wilson, Band Director at Autrey Mill Middle School, and has two wonderful children, by marriage, Morgan and Kalen. Mr. Wilson has also been nominated for Teacher of the Year three times and was nominated four times for the Atlanta Families Award. While attending The University of Georgia, Mr. Wilson performed with the UGA Wind Symphony, Symphony Band, Symphonic Band, Men's Glee Club, UGA Steel Drum Band, UGA Drumline and Indoor Drumline. Mr. Wilson conducted one of the collegiate concert bands as a graduate assistant. Mr. Wilson is very active in the State of Georgia in Music. His duties include: District Honor Band Co-Coordinator, Percussion coordinator for District V Middle.
The EPMS Program current has over 350 students which is approximately 35% of the school. Our band has received superior ratings since the school’s opening in 2001 at the District Middle School Large Group Performance Evaluation. In 2004, the symphonic band received a superior rating and placed first in the middle school division at the Smoky Mountain Music Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee and in 2006 received a superior rating and placed third. The symphonic band received a superior rating and placed first in the middle school division at the 2005 Nashville Music Festival. Following this achievement, the band was awarded the National Middle School Concert Band and Wind Ensemble Award, which is the top award of all 38 festivals sponsored by MUSIC FESTIVALS.
In recent years the band has competed and placed first in all competitions from 2010 to the present. These events include: The Smokey Mountain Music Festival, Southern Star, The Busch Garden Classic, and Orlando Fest Music Competitions. This year the 7th and 8th grade group will be returning to Orlando to try and defend its first place ranking. The 6th grade Band takes a trip to Six Flags, and the 7th/8th grade Band takes an annual trip to Florida, alternating years to Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens as Band Trips.
Chorus Puts a Song in Our Heart ♡
Mr. Charles Baugh is a graduate of Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Music in Music Theory and an Associate of Science in Commercial Music/Recording. He has been a featured tenor soloist (i.e. Choral Guild of Atlanta, Michael O’Neal Singers and Chamber Singers, Sessione Senese per Musica e L’Arte). Mr. Baugh has performed in Italy and London. His credits include the Atlanta Opera Chorus, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus, and at Renaissance Festivals in multiple states. Mr. Baugh has been featured in Atlanta area productions such as Titanic: In Concert, A Christmas Carol, Hamlet and the Night Visitors.
During the school year, performances will be a staged music drama, holiday concert, and cluster concerts with feeder schools and high schools, and a Spring Concert (last year's Spring Concert featured tunes from Disney). Students will have the opportunity to perform for each other in class on "Recital Days " (similar to TV show "The Voice). On "Rock Out Fridays" students on sing songs of their choice (i.e. "Don't Stop Believin') while they play instruments, i.e. guitar, keyboard, percussion, vocal, etc,
A Standing Ovation for Orchestra!
Meet Our Orchestra Teacher!
Mr. Seth Gamba graduated from Indiana University with a Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance and Civics where he studied with Larry Hurst – one of the best bass teachers in the world. He went on to earn his Master’s of Music Education from the University of Georgia. Mr. Gamba is a published author and composer. Mr. Gamba’s book on teaching rhythm and pieces he’s written for student Orchestras are used frequently by teachers around the world. You can check out some of his published works here.
Mr. Gamba is deeply involved in the art of teaching music and is a frequent clinician helping to train others. He has run training sessions for music teachers in Fulton Co, Fayette Co, and Atlanta Public Schools. He has been contracted by the Woodruff Arts Center to run teacher trainings, and he has presented multiple training sessions at the annual GA Music Educations conference. Mr. Gamba has also run trainings at national conferences in Louisville, Nashville, and Chicago. In conjunction with his teacher training activities, he maintains an active YouTube channel with videos devoted to string instrument technique with an emphasis on Double Bass. (You can see some of those videos here.)
The EPMS Orchestra under Mr. Gamba has been a multiple award winning group. They have won first place in numerous competitions including the Smokey Mountain Music Festival and Music In The Parks. They have also been a featured performing group at the GA Music Educators Association conference (check out this video!). Mr. Gamba has been recognized as EPMS Teacher Of The Year and is also an 11 Alive Class Act Award winner.
Mr. Gamba is an active musician in the Atlanta area performing frequently as a professional musician. He also maintains a full private lesson studio in addition to teaching at EPMS. In addition to performing as a bass player, he is also in the rock band The Expats where he switches off between electric violin and drums.