October at Woodbrook
Halloween at Woodbrook
Parade & Parties!
Our annual Halloween Parade is scheduled for Friday, October 29 at 1:30 pm for grades 1-5 and afternoon kindergarten. Morning kindergarten will have their parade at 9:45 am and will follow a different parade route (see 2nd picture below). Lunches will begin at 10:50 a.m. in order to allow time for the parade & party.
Children should come to school in costume. As we are an elementary school, please ensure that all costumes are child friendly. Children may not wear very frightening costumes/masks or gory bloody makeup. Props which can be used as weapons are also not permitted. I am always proud to say that most of our children dress in positive, happy costumes as opposed to morbid, mature or frightening costumes. Please keep with this tradition. Costume masks may ONLY be worn during the parade OUTSIDE.
REGULAR COVID MASKS MUST STILL BE WORN THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
- Students will leave the school through the main doors beginning at 1:30 and walk around the flagpole circle, through the faculty parking lot, and then walk close to the tree line behind the school, walk down the path along the gym/playground, and re-enter through the new addition entrance by the playground.
- Students will NOT reenter the school through the same door they exited.
- See pictures of the routes below with where parents should stand in order to spread out.
- All children will walk the entire route, so no matter where you stand, you will definitely see all of the children.
- We will only walk around one time. We will begin with the 5th grade, then 4th grade, then 3rd, 2nd, 1st and end the parade with kindergarten.
- (Morning kindergarten will walk around the back twice beginning at 9:45 am.)
- Give yourselves enough space to enjoy seeing all of the children.
SEE PICTURE OF PARADE ROUTES BELOW.
Parents assigned to help with classroom parties that have supplies for games/activities (no food) must report to the foyer first to sign in. You may park in the stop and drop lot, but please do not arrive before 1:15 PM. (morning kindergarten class parents 9:30am) Students of parent volunteers may be released at 3:15PM. Lunch will be served early on this day in order to allow enough time for the parade and the party. Parents who can walk to the parade should walk.
Fire Laws: NO parents are permitted to park in the back lot,
directly in front of the school or by fire hydrants. These areas are fire zones.
DO NOT DOUBLE PARK OR BLOCK ANYONE’S DRIVEWAY
If your child will not be partaking in Halloween festivities, please inform your child’s teacher so we can arrange for your child to enjoy an alternate activity here at school.
Naturally, the parade is dependent upon the weather. If it is raining, the parade will be cancelled and classroom parents may begin the party at 1:30pm (class parents may set up at 1:15 p.m.). Thank you for your cooperation. With your help, we’ll make this a safe, happy, fun time for the children.
Start Strong Grades 4 & 5
Grades 4 & 5 Assessment
- Tuesday & Wednesday October 12 & 13 (Make Ups October 14).
- tests will be multiple choice on their school devices in the morning during class.
The state test will assess their knowledge from LAST YEAR (not this year).
Results will be available to teachers within 24 hours to help them plan for your children.
Do NOT send in any child with any symptoms. As always, keep sick children home!
Picture Days at Woodbrook
Picture Days Monday, October 11 & Tuesday, October 12
Obviously, all individual pictures will require masks to be removed. All students will have their pictures taken for Genesis. The photographers will wear masks at all times.
Reach out to your teacher if you do not want your child to remove their mask and/or if you do not want your child in the class picture because they are not permitted to remove their masks.
Be on the lookout for your photo order form. Please send your children in to school with their order forms and payment on their picture day.
Please dress in your portrait best for these pictures. I recommend that students NOT wear shirts with words or funny pictures.
First Club Wednesday Night October 27 @ 7 p.m.
We still need more coaches, please volunteer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Coordinators will reach out to volunteers this week.
Parents with children in the math club will be notified of their group and coach by Monday, October 25.
How can you help?
- Send children in with clean CHILD SIZED masks daily. (Adult masks are not appropriate and do not fit.)
- Keep sneezing and coughing children home.
- If you are questioning if your child is possibly ill, STAY HOME
- As per the district protocol, if a member of your household is symptomatic, all Edison students must stay home until that household member tests negative.
- These absences will be excused
- A doctor's note to return to school due to allergies/strep if a child was symptomatic is not sufficient. A negative COVID test must accompany the doctor's note.
- Do NOT give your children cough medicine and fever reducers and send your child to school. We are trying to keep everyone healthy.
- NO HOME TESTS are acceptable.
- If you take a rapid test, please also take a PCR test which is much more reliable.
- You must remain home while awaiting results of your PCR tests
- Only students who the school requires to stay home are permitted to listen via a classroom link. It is not available for everyone.
- This is not hybrid. There is no interaction between the students and teacher.
- The camera will only stay on during whole class instruction.
Looking Ahead to November
Conferences in Parent Portal
- November 9th, 5-6:30 pm
- November 11th 2-3:30 pm
- November 16th 5-6:30 pm
- All three days are early dismissal days (1:30 closing & 11 am end for morning K).
- Sign ups will be in the Parent Portal later this month.
Days off in November
- Tues. NOV. 2 Staff Professional Development Day/ No School for Students
- Thurs., NOV. 4 - Teacher’s Convention/ Diwali
- Fri., NOV. 5 Teacher’s Convention
- Thurs., NOV. 25 - Thanksgiving Recess
- Fri., NOV. 26 Thanksgiving Recess
Our Gifts & Things Fundraiser will end October 8. Treat yourself to something!
Sign Up for the PTO mobilearq.com/schooldirectory
CODE: woodbrook See directions to sign up HERE
The Holiday Boutique will be here providing children with the opportunity to shop for gifts for their families. Please take advantage of this fun opportunity by helping your child with shopping and budgeting skills.