School Board Update
January 17, 2023
Arlington School Board
Agenda for the January 19, 2023 School Board Meeting
A. CLOSED MEETING - NONE
B. REGULAR MEETING OPENING – 7 PM
1. Call to Order
2. Presentation of Colors: Arlington Career Center Space Force JROTC Cadets Corps
3. Recognitions: Bethany Zecher Sutton, New School Board Member and 2023 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Literary and Visual Contest Winners
C. CONSENT ITEMS:
2. Personnel Actions
3. Arlington School Board Code of Conduct for School Board Members
4. Revised School Board Member Liaison Assignments 2022-2023
5. Revised School Board Member Liaison Assignments to Arlington Civic Associations 2022-2023
6. Appointments to School Board Advisory Committee
1. Board Announcements:
- January 21 – School Board and Superintendent Retreat, 9 AM
- January 26 – Closed Meeting, 5:30 PM, Board Conference Room
- January 26 – Work Session on Gifted Services, 6:30 PM, Board Room
- February 2 – School Board Meeting, 7 PM, Board Room
2. Superintendent’s Announcements and Updates
E. PUBLIC COMMENT ON AGENDA AND NON-AGENDA ITEMS:
Sign Up to Speak at a School Board Meeting at https://www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/sign-up-to-speak/. Public Comment on Agenda and Non-Agenda is limited to 1 hour. Speakers have 2 minutes to comment.
F. MONITORING ITEMS:
1. School and Community Relations (S&CR) and Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Update
G. ACTION ITEMS:
1. Final Fiscal Close-Out/Status Update
H. INFORMATION ITEMS: TBD
I. NEW BUSINESS:
January Schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings
Public Comment at School Board Meetings
Public Comment on Agenda and Non-Agenda items will be heard at the beginning of the meeting and will be limited to 1 hour. At each meeting, the Board will hear from a maximum of 30 speakers, and each speaker will have up to 2 minutes to comment. There will be 20 slots reserved for speakers to sign up online in advance. Speakers will no longer have the option to select the call-in service. As of the November 10 meeting, speakers will only have the option to speak in person.
New this school year: There will be 10 slots reserved for speakers to sign up in person between 6:15 p.m and 6:45 pm. (No speaker forms will be accepted before or after these times).
Additional information will be posted at https://www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/sign-up-to-speak/
Principal Appreciation Week
Superintendent’s Update: January 11, 2023
Attendance Notification Changes Begin Tuesday, January 17, 2023
Social and Emotional Learning Survey Results - Virtual Sessions
- Secondary Parent Information Session: Tue, Jan. 17, 2023 – 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Elementary Parent Information Session: Thu, Jan. 19, 2023 – 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Register | View elementary session flyer | View secondary session flyer
APS Students Named 2023 Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS) Scholars
Arlington Tech Students Speak at US Department of Education Conference
Electric School Buses Get Rolling in Arlington
ACPD is Hiring School Crossing Guards
Virtual Academic Support for Secondary (6-12) Students (Paper)
Nominate an APS All Star Today!
The APS All Stars program recognizes outstanding employees who go above and beyond their normal scope of work to ensure that all students thrive and excel. Learn more about the program and nominate someone today! We’ll recognize our next group of All Stars in October.
OPT In for APS School Talk Text Alerts
Did you miss the text message this morning about APS’ delayed opening?
Your school may not have your cell phone number on file, and/or you may not have opted into the text messaging service. Here’s how to do it:
Step 1: Make sure your school has your cell phone number in their database, designated as a cell phone. (Your cell number may already be listed as your home number or work number, but it must also be listed separately as a cell phone to receive texts.)
Step 2: Text the word YES to 67587 to opt-in.
Stay Safe from Illnesses this Winter
Preparing for Inclement Weather
- The first seven inclement weather days will be treated as traditional “snow days.” If the allotted days are used, APS will revert to full distance learning (virtual) days.
- NEW: Extended Day and Check-In programs will now close at the same time schools close in the event of an Early Release due to weather conditions (previously Extended Day remained open until 4 p.m.).
- Decisions impacting the following day will be announced by 6 p.m. Morning decisions will be announced by 5 a.m., as needed, based on conditions overnight.
You can learn more about the weather codes and other important details on our website.
Complete the Free & Reduced Meal Application for Meal Benefits
FLU/COVID-19/RSV PCR TEST
As the school year begins, we recognize the concern in our community about how monkeypox could impact students, their families, staff, and teachers. We want to provide you with information to address this and to establish precautions APS will implement to promote the health and safety of our community.
According to the CDC, the risk of monkeypox to children and adolescents is low at this time. The risk of monkeypox transmission in school settings is also currently low. However, anyone- including children- can be infected if they have close skin-to-skin contact with someone who has monkeypox.
APS Updates COVID Guidance
APS is making a few adjustments to COVID protocols based on the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). Overall, most COVID-19 protocols have not changed. Primary changes are related to contact tracing, quarantine, and isolation procedures. View the updated COVID-19 Protocols and FAQ online. We will continue to adjust our protocols based on local conditions and the latest guidance and will communicate changes as needed.
Arlington County Public Health Division COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic Scheduling
Arlington County’s Public Health Division is offering free walk ins and scheduled appointments to individuals 12 and up. View schedule at https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/vaccines/registration/
Please note: Children 17 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to receive their free COVID-19 vaccine.
How to Contact APS
- NEW Family Information Line (703-228-8000) – APS now has a central Family Information Line to assist families with questions concerning transportation, Virtual Learning Program, registration, Extended Day food services, technology, or general questions. This line is open on school days from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Transportation will take calls from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you call and are sent to voicemail, leave a message and someone will respond to you within 24 hours.
- Engage with APS – firstname.lastname@example.org remains the contact for providing input on current APS initiatives.
- Contact Your School – For specific school-based issues or concerns regarding students, families are encouraged to contact their child’s school directly so the issue can be quickly resolved.
For more information on who to contact, please visit the Contact APS webpage.