SPARK Academy Newsletter - September 23rd, 2022
Athletes Bettering the Community
On September 21st, Athens High School volleyball and basketball players spent an afternoon with our latchkey students. They weren't the only athletes out in the community, though. All ACS elementary schools had AHS athletes spend time with students in the latchkey program. These athletes came out as a part of the Athletes Bettering the Community program headed by high school baseball coach Chuck Smith. Football, volleyball, and basketball players, cheerleaders, and band students have visited SPARK as greeters for Kindergarten Camp and the first day of school, as Eagle Buddies, and as Latchkey friends.
As you can see, our latchkey students had a blast with these athletes who are becoming role models to their young friends. We also had a five football players from Valley Prep, the program with which Paul Parker is Athletic Director, spend time bonding with students in the library and during P.E. this week. Thank you to the coaches and athletes who are truly bettering our community by fostering positive relationships between ages and grade levels.
IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO HEAD TO MARCO'S PIZZA THIS FRIDAY!
PTO Corner - Our First PTO Meeting is Tuesday Night at 6 p.m.
Our first PTO meeting is September 27th at 6:00 pm. Come out to enjoy refreshments and door prizes, and to get valuable information about our school and PTO. Most importantly, this is an opportunity for you to provide your input. We hope to see you there!
- Don't forget to send in your party money. Each student is asked to bring in $8 to help cover the cost of our Halloween and Christmas parties. Please send cash in a sealed envelope labeled "Party Money" as soon as possible.
- Join the PTO Facebook group. PTO members can get updates through the PTO page. Just search for the SPARK PTO group and request to join.
SPARK PTO Officers:
Casey Bearden, president
Nancy Hipolito, vice president
Kelly Nave, secretary
Riley Greene, treasurer
Lunch Menu Changes for September 26-30
Monday - chicken Alfredo
Tuesday - Corndog
Wednesday - Chicken Sandwich
Thursday - Pizza
Friday - Cheeseburger
See the attachment below for the full flier and coupons.
September 23: Professional Learning Day/No school for students & Marco's Pizza Night
September 27: PTO meeting at 6 p.m.
October 4: 2nd Grade field trip to Cathedral Caverns
October 10-14 : Fall Break
October 19: Reports go home for first 9-week grading period
October 21: E-Learning Day (students do not come to school)
October 27: Kindergarten field trip to Birmingham Zoo
October 31: Halloween party at 1:45
November 10: Veteran's Day Holiday ( no school)
November 23-25: Thanksgiving Holiday (no school)
Our students spend the entire day learning, so having them here on time and avoiding checkouts is extremely important. Here are some general reminders to help support good attendance for your child:
- Our school day is 7:45 a.m. until 2:45 p.m.
- Parents should bring students who arrive late to the office to check them in.
- Check-outs are conducted through the office.
- Any missed school will be categorized as an excused absence, excused tardy, unexcused absence, or unexcused tardy.
- Excessive absences and tardies will subject the student and parent to truancy policies and procedures
Read the full attendance policy for Athens City Schools here: