2021 Career Newsletter #3
College and Career Ready Students One Brick at a Time!
from the desk of valentine torres
At Hobart High School we strive to have our Brickies college and career-ready too. This newsletter will be released monthly highlighting career opportunities available to our students.
"Teenagers look for employment for a variety of reasons. One objective of working as a teen is that you have the opportunity to socialize while earning money. Other important objectives of teen jobs are gaining experience in the workforce, learning how to get along with others, developing new skills, and learning how to manage your time and money." https://work.chron.com/objectives-teen-jobs-9661.html
***Should you happen to know of any employers who are looking to hire students please send that information to email@example.com
INDIANAPOLIS (May 4, 2021) – The Indiana Department of Labor’s Bureau of Youth Employment announced today that Hoosier employers must adhere to new requirements regarding minor employees younger than 18 years old, beginning July 1, 2021.
Considering supporting Business Professionals of America, by ordering our signature attire!
Albanese | Retail Sales Associate | Hobart, IN
- Excellent interpersonal skills – team player
- Hard worker who is a self-starter and proactive
- Must be able to multitask
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Making decisions and problem solving
- Must be detailed oriented
- Must have proficiency in basic math
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for up to 10 hours
- High School Diploma or in school working towards one
Old Time Pottery | Merrillvile
Apply by texting jobs to 24103 or IN- PERSON or apply online
GENERAL SUMMARY: Responsible for providing and maintaining exceptional customer service. Processes sales quickly, accurately, and efficiently and performs all cash register duties. Performs other duties, (including pricing and stocking merchandise) as necessary to maximize profitability, while protecting company assets and reducing losses.
Cashiers | Walmart | Merrillville
Full Job Description
You’ll discover more than a job at Walmart. This is a place where you can really make a difference in the lives of our customers, as well as your own. Come see how working at Walmart can unlock a world of possibilities.
*Your local Merrillville, IN Walmart Supercenter is looking for full-time Cashiers!*
****Starting at $14/hour****
As a cashier at Walmart, you are more than just an "item scanner." You play a major role in how our customers feel when they leave the store. You might be the first, last, and sometimes only associate that customers interact with. That's why it's so important to smile, greet, and thank each and every customer.
UPS | Hobart, IN
Salary$15 an hour
Full Job Description
$15 / hour
Shift: Sunrise/Preload (4:00 AM - 9:00 AM) Twilight (4:00 PM - 9:00 PM)
UPS Quick Apply
Applying for this role online is quick and easy – and you could even schedule your first day of work within 30 minutes!
The steps are simple:
1) Create a profile so you can save your place in the process and keep track of your progress.
2) Watch a couple of short videos to see what the job is really like.
3) Provide some basic information in our online application process.
4) Receive your job offer and schedule your first day of work.
SHIFT YOUR TEAM
Who exactly are UPS Warehouse Workers? Also known as Package Handlers, many of our WarehouseWorkers start out as seasonal employees but we also hire warehouse workers throughout the year. They are a diverse, collaborative, energetic team who enjoy fast-paced work.
So what does it take to make it through a busy shift moving boxes and packages?
- The ability to lift up to 70 lbs
- Stamina – this is a workout like no other!
- Legal right to work in the U.S.
- An eye for detail
- Reliability, responsibility, and a really good pair of work shoes
SHIFT YOUR BENEFITS
What’s in it for you? You’ve read about the quick application process, tight team, and active work… but what else do we offer to that makes being a UPS Warehouse Worker such a great gig?
- Excellent weekly pay
- Safe work environment
- Up to $25,000 in tuition assistance
- Medical, dental, and vision after a waiting period
- And so much more
- Apply Here
Seasonal Cashier Associate - $500 SIGN-ON BONUS
Text RETAIL to 97211
^^^You can text your resume
- Also offering a $500.00 bonus payout for associates at the end of their seasonal position
NOW HIRING! Cashier • Customer Service • Sales Associate Receiving Associate • Asset Protection
TO APPLY www.BurlingtonStores.JOBS
Burlington Stores is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workplace diversity.
HIRING EVENT Interviews & Offers On-The-Spot! Walk-Ins Welcome! Wed. 10/6 and Fri 10/8/21 from 10a to 6p
- Bring your resume
- Dress in career attire
- See Mrs. Torres if you need an outfit to wear and assistance with your resume
2020 Lincoln Hwy. Merrillville, In. 46410
Nike Michigan City Retail Sales Associate Part-Time ("Athlete")
- Must be 18 years of age
- Able to effectively communicate
- Physical requirements include the ability to
twist, bend, squat, reach, climb a ladder and stand for extended periods of time
with or without reasonable accommodation
- Able to accomplish multiple tasks in a
- Able to work effectively with others in a
team-oriented environment and provide excellent customer service
- One or more years of customer service and/or
retail experience preferred
- Flexible with scheduling and available to work
retail hours, which may include days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays, based
on department and store/company needs
- Apply on company site
Cashier | Bass Pro Shot | Portage, IN
Full Job Description
Position summary: Checkout customer's merchandise through the POS registers. Performs various Customer Service activities, to include greeting and acknowledging all customers in a prompt and friendly manner, handling merchandise with care.
- Supports a strong commitment to world class customer service and ensures a pleasant and productive shopping experience for all customers
- Friendly and outgoing approach to all customers
- Remains product knowledgeable
- Aware of advertised sales
- Stock and straighten shelves and pegs in the immediate area when not directly ringing up product
Provide a legendary experience for every customer, every time by assisting customers in making buying decisions by:
- identifying and evaluating customers' needs
- making product recommendations based off of this analysis
- promoting programs including, but not limited to CLUB Membership, VOC and In-Store Pick-up
Other duties, assignments, and responsibilities as needed.
Pacsun | Seasonal Sales | Southlake Mall
Full Job Description
The Sales Associate is responsible for generating sales through exhibiting passion for product, brands, fashion and trends with all customers. The Sales Associate is also responsible for executing initiatives and tasks as assigned by the leadership team. Overall, the Sales Associate is expected to work as a positive member of the store team and consistently provide an exceptional customer experience.Responsibilities:
- Reflects the PacSun brand by demonstrating passion and affinity for product, brands, fashion and trends
- Contributes to positive working environment by consistently exhibiting core value behaviors
- Maintains and drives the company's fashion image by adhering to the Employee Appearance Guidelines
- Demonstrates willingness, aptitude, and initiative to learn what is unknown about product, brands, fashion and trends
- Strives to improve individual performance while working as a productive member of the team
Lowes | Hobart | FT-Receiver/Stocker-Day
• Ability to read, write, and perform basic arithmetic (addition, subtraction).
• 3 months of experience operating forklift/power equipment such as lifts, order pickers, and similar equipment.
• 6 months of experience in a warehouse performing inventory handling and stocking.
The Receiver/Stocker helps provide and deliver the right products to our customers by safely unloading merchandise from incoming freight, moving it to the sales floor, and stocking departments. This associate handles hazardous materials, replaces damaged shelving, keeps the backroom organized, and ensures equipment is charged. Additionally, this associate organizes merchandise and top stock to set up stores for sales success. To be successful, the associate must understand and prepare for the physical demands of moving merchandise for the majority of his/her shift. Depending on location type, the Receiver/Stocker works morning, afternoon evening, or overnight to prepare for store opening.
Macys | Seasonal Retail Merchandising Support Associate, Southlake
Full Job Description
- Immediate Openings – Start Right Away!
- Competitive Hourly Rates
- Colleague Weekend Bonus Program – earn up to $2.00 more an hour!
- Schedules to meet your availability!
- Unlimited $500 Referral Bonus Opportunity
- Employee Discount at Macy’s AND Bloomingdales
- Opportunities for permanent positions
Outback | Hobart, IN
Many positions are available!
ABOUT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE MERRILLVILLE
We are an Australian-inspired steakhouse where mates gather, stories are exchanged, and steakhouse favorites flow as freely as the conversation. Serve it up with a dash of Aussie hospitality, and you’ve got all the makings of a great experience you’ll want to share with your friends, time and time again. We're known for high quality, juicy steaks with your choice of big cuts and bold flavor, cooked just the way you like it. Outback Steakhouse, the home of juicy steaks, spirited drinks and Aussie hospitality. Find our location in Merrillville on Lincoln Highway across from Khols.
Steak n Shake | Team Member-Starting Pay $13.00/hr. & up! | Full and Part Time | Portage, IN
Night shift, Day shift
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Paid training
STEAK N SHAKE IS HIRING TEAM MEMBERS looking to MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
We have exciting times ahead! What we sell is an experience. We are looking for passionate people with a fun-loving attitude who provide a hospitable service. We offer flexible schedules on day shift and night shift. We are determined to be the employer of choice, placing employees first. We seek to be the maximum wage employer. We offer various stations to choose from (grill, drive thru, milkshakes, sandwich assembly).
Panera | Cashier - Full and Part-time, Hourly | Portage, IN
When you join Panera LLC as a Restaurant Team Member – Cashier, you join in our belief that food should not only taste good but also be good for you. You will be a part of something special where you will have the opportunity to connect with our amazing customers, impact our growing business, and most importantly serve local communities across the country.
Come make a difference with Panera as a Cashier today! This is an opportunity to provide unparalleled customer service to each of our guests, and to explore potential career paths with Panera LLC. Part-time and full-time positions are available.
We’re looking for:
- Great communication and people skills
- Foodservice or retail experience preferred, not required
- Basic food safety understanding and practice
- Minimum age – 16 years of age
Enjoy the good stuff:
- Competitive compensation with opportunity for tips
- Food discounts
- Health benefits
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation
- Development opportunities
- Nationwide discount program for merchandise and services
- Education discount
Pizza Hut | Team Member | Hobart, IN
The good news is that your training will teach you everything you need to know to succeed on the job. But there are a few skills you should have from the get-go: You’re a fun and friendly person who values customers and takes absolute pride in everything you do. Communication skills are key – you’re not going to be able to text message customers back and forth. In other words, you should be comfortable talking to strangers. You’ve got attitude - the right kind of course - and understand the need to be on time, all the time. With loads of energy, you understand that work is easier – and more fun – with some teamwork. And you’re at least 16 years old.
Taco Bell | Team Member | Hobart, IN
What else is in it for you? A lot! Competitive pay, free meals with every shift, 401(k) with company match, insurance options, flexible scheduling, and development opportunities. We're passionate about you and want you on our team!
As a Team Member, YOU set the tone for the customer experience. You'll feed customers with great-tasting food and provide great service, so our customers keep coming back! Our customers are our number one priority, and if you feel the same way, you are guaranteed to succeed. You're a representation of the brand in everything you do.
Jimmy Johns | In Shop Crew Member | $10+ | Hobart IN
Night shift, Day shift, Weekend availability, Holidays, Monday to Friday
Full Job Description
Looking for a great job with flexible hours?
Staying locally for college and need to work around your class schedule?
Looking for a part-time job while the kids are in school?
Looking for a job with possible management advancement?
This is the PLACE FOR YOU!
Please stop by to fill out an application and meet the crew!
Apply in person or apply online
McDonalds | Crew Team Member | up to $14.50/hr | Hobart, IN
SalaryUp to $14.50 an hour
CREW NOW HIRING UP TO $14.50 A HOUR!!
This job posting is for a position in a restaurant owned and operated by an independent franchisee and not McDonald’s USA. This franchisee owns a license to use McDonald’s logos and food products, for example, when running the restaurant. However, this franchisee is a separate company and a separate employer from McDonald’s USA. If you are hired for the job described in this posting, the franchisee will be your employer, not McDonald’s USA. Only the franchisee is responsible for employment matters at the restaurant, including hiring, firing, discipline, supervisions, staffing, and scheduling employees. McDonald’s USA has no control over employment matters at the restaurant. McDonald’s USA will not receive a copy of your employment application and it will have no involvement in any employment decisions, including whether you receive an interview for the job or whether you are hired.
Arby's | Crew Member | Hobart, IN
Address: 8150 East Ridge Road Hobart, IN - 46342
Property Description: Ridge Arby's
Property Number: 8835
Team Member | White Castle | Hobart, IN
SalaryFrom $11 an hour
- Weekly pay
- Free meals while working
- Paid vacation
- Medical, dental & life insurance
- Weekly paychecks
- 401K & profit-sharing plans
- Free uniforms
- Scholarship eligibility
- Promote from within practice
- And more!!
- Must love to smile, laugh & have fun!
- Previous food service or management experience a bonus, but not required
- Ability to stand for up to 8 hours during a shift & lift 30-50lbs repeatedly
- Enjoy working in a high energy, fast-paced environment
- Promote and drive the White Castle initiatives and increase brand loyalty
- Must be a good person, a team player, and treat others with care and respect
No experience? No problem! All you need is outgoing, positive energy and a desire to work alongside our awesome team!
Crew Member | Portillo's | Merrillville, IN
Night shift, Day shift, Monday to Friday
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive pay
- $3/hr. increase on 5 holidays*
- Employee referral bonus + quarterly gift
- Career advancement opportunities (we’re growing!)
- Dedicated Team Member learning & development
- Flexible schedules
- Free shift meals
- DailyPay: Access your pay when you need it!
- Monthly “Franks a Lot” employee appreciation
Team Member/Crew Member
Do you relish the opportunity to create lifelong memories with customers? Can you add that extra special ingredient to our staff? At Portillo’s, we’re looking for crew members to join our family! At the heart of Portillo’s, we value Family, Greatness, Energy, and Fun. Igniting the senses with unrivaled food and experiences, it all comes together to create lifelong memories for our guests.
Day time team member | Five Guys | Hobart & Valparaiso
Day shift, 8-hour shift, Weekend availability, Holidays, Monday to Friday
What are we looking for?
- 16 years or older - required
- Education - not required
- Job/work experience - not required
- $50 - Onboarding Bonus
- Shared tips paid out bi-weekly
- Variety of different positions available
- Friendly co-workers and fun work environment
- Free meals on shift
- Paid training
We will provide you with full training
Crew Member | Dunkin | Multiple locations
Crew Members are generally responsible for delivering great and friendly guest experiences. They prepare products according to operational and quality standards and serve them with enthusiasm in a clean, fast-paced environment. They work as part of a team to meet our Guests’ needs and give them a reason to come back.
Restaurant Team Member | Chipotle | Merrillville
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- Tuition assistance (100% coverage for select degrees or up to $5,250/year)
- Free food (yes, really FREE)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Holiday closures
- Competitive compensation
- Full and part-time opportunities
- Opportunities for advancement (80% of managers started as Crew)
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE TABLE
- A friendly, enthusiastic attitude
- Passion for helping and serving others (both customers and team members)
- Desire to learn how to cook (a lot)
- Be at least 16 years old
- Ability to communicate in the primary language(s) of the work location
Primary Location: Indiana - Merrillville - 0795 - Merrillville-(00795)
0795 - Merrillville-(00795)
1948 Southlake Mall
Crew Member | Marco's Pizza | Hobart
Crew Member Qualities:
- Team player
- Fun & friendly
- Customer service oriented
- Good under pressure
What we offer:
- Career and advancement opportunities
- Competitive compensation
- Fun work environment
- Great company culture
Team Member/Shift Member | KFC | Hobart
As a Team Member, you could be the smiling face that greets and serves customers. Or you could be the cook that prepares our world-famous chicken (and tell your friends you know the "secret" – just kiddin'). Whatever job you do, you know what you do matters – to your team and to your customers.
SHIFT MANAGER POSITION:
At KFC, we feed the world. But we do more than fill people up. We fulfill their life. Our meals matter, and when we serve them with southern hospitality, we make our customer's day. So our jobs are more than a paycheck – they're about being independent, having fun, and making new friends.
Please keep in mind, this is just basic information and you’ll find out more after you apply. At KFC, what you do matters! So if you want to be part of a winning team, find out now why Life Tastes Better with KFC. Apply today!
The Indiana Plan's mission is to address and correct the problem of low minority participation in the union-building trades. To do this, we offer comprehensive services for both the signatory contractors who work with us to find recruits and also for the minority and women workers we help train and find jobs in the union construction industry in Indiana.
We Build NWI
We Build Northwest Indiana was created as a resource for individuals interested in career opportunities within the construction and maintenance industry. Some career opportunities may require a college degree while most require a comprehensive training and education program known as apprenticeship. Successful applicants generally possess three common attributes:
- They have a strong work ethic
- They are responsible
- They are dedicated to being the best
Your source for career exploration, training & jobs. Nearly 2,400 AJCs nationwide help people search for jobs, find training, and answer other employment-related questions.
Millions of people are searching for jobs, salary information, company reviews, and interview questions. See what others are looking for on Glassdoor today.
Not sure how to move forward in your job search or with a career change? Whether you’re exploring a career change, looking for a new job, preparing to graduate, or are currently unemployed, we’ll provide you with the right tools.
Career Attire Needed | Hobart High School | Career Closet
MRS. VALENTINE TORRES, MBA
Career Liaison Coordinator | Business Department | Dual Credit Instructor | Hobart High School | Hobart University | Business Professionals of America | Communications Director TEDxHobartHighSchool