The THIRD GRADE Times
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
This week in Third Grade...May 9, 2016
We continue this week with learning about praying the rosary, making rosaries at home and preparing to celebrate our class mass. We are all working hard creating our crafts from recycled paper for the third grade service learning recycling project as part of our outreach curriculum. Our classrooms are zoned for creativity!
We are excited about visiting the Pasadena History Museum this week on Wednesday, May 11th. Our day will finish with a special visit from Mayor Terry Tornek who will speak to our third graders about his work for the City of Pasadena. What a wonderful way to end our unit on Pasadena! Also be sure to check in to our third grade resource page for updated information and resources.
Mrs. Adanto, Mrs. Sears and Mrs. Garcia
Learning To Pray The Rosary...
This month third graders will be learning about the history of the Rosary and how to pray the Rosary. The Rosary is not only a mental prayer, but also a vocal prayer in which we meditate on the virtues of the Life, Death, Passion and Glory of Jesus Christ and His Blessed Mother, the Virgin Mary. The rosary owes its origin to St. Dominic.
Our Rosary project is a family project for third graders at MJS. We look forward to seeing all the beautiful and creative hand-made rosaries which will be displayed on our hallway board the week of May 24, 2016.
Spelling City...Front Row...Online Resources for Math and Spelling Practice...
Recycle & Read Curbside Drop-Off This Week...7:40-8:00 AM On Euclid Avenue!
- Now through May 12: drop off your gently used books at the Library
- May 10 & 11: Recycle & Read Curbside Drop-Off on Euclid Avenue, 7:40-8:00 am (you can drop off your bags/boxes of books with the Girl Scouts during morning carpool)
- May 13: Grand Opening of 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-2:30, Library
- May 16-19: 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-3:30, Library
If you are interested in volunteering to help sort donated Recycle & Read book donations please sign up at www.signupgenius.com or contact Stacy Sartor, 2016 Recycle & Read Coordinator!
A Digital Request From The MJS Yearbook Staff...
The students in the yearbook elective are planning on putting together a digital album and need photos from the MJS community!
If you have any photos taken on a camera or smart phone, please click on this link http://tinyurl.com/mjscommunityphotos
You'll be taken to a page where you can upload photos to our MJS yearbook gallery and help us capture all events from April until June.
The Yearbook Elective
Deepening Our Learning...
*Science - Recycle Reach Out Project...Students continue to collect and analyze data related to paper recycling at MJS and Animal Habitats...Students research food chains and webs. Recycling Impact On Our Communities and World...Our actions affect the world at large and recycling reminds us how we can make a difference. Students will take a deeper look at how recycling can have a positive impact on the world in which we live and how important it is to both the natural environment and us.
* Social Studies - Our Community, Our World - Pasadena! Students will be learning about Pasadena history, researching iconic landmarks, and visiting the Pasadena Museum of History.
* Math - Topic Ten - More Fractions! Students continue to apply their knowledge of fractions, including identifying benchmark and equivalent fractions, adding and subtracting fractions using hands on applications, problem solving and homework practice.
Six Traits of Writing - Students continue apply writing conventions for sentence types, word choice and voice in classroom writing assignments.
MJS Lower School Talent Show: Mayfield’s Got Talent! Tuesday, June 7 K-2 Performance 9-10am 3-4 Performance 11-12pm
Run thru for all performers on Monday, June 6 11-2pm
• 1st -4th graders are invited to participate.
• Each student may only participate in one act.
• Acts can be no longer than two minutes.
• Please note that acts are to rehearse outside of school only.
• Karaoke tracks only, no lip syncing.
• Only 4th graders are allowed to perform with a group, grades 1-3 solo acts only.
Upcoming Third Grade Events
- May 11, 2016 - Field Trip to Pasadena History Museum, Pasadena, CA 9:30 AM - 12:00 Noon.
- Mayor Terry Tornek visits the third grade to speak about his work for the City of Pasadena - 1:30-2:00 PM.
- May 16-20, Annual Recycle and Read at MJS!
- May 16-20, MJS Arts Week!
- May 20, 2016 - Third Grade Class Mass, MJS Chapel @ 11:00 - 11:45 AM. Note: Time change due to conflict with Spring Concert.
- May 20, 2016, MJS Spring Concert
- May 25, 2016, Reach Out Assembly, Greg Smith Memorial Gym
- May 27, 2016, Pancake Breakfast and Blue & White Day!
- May 27, 2016, Service Learning Showcase Exhibits
- May 27, 2016, Half Day - Dismissal at 12:00 Noon
- May 30, 2016, NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- May 31, 2016, Lower School "Moving Up!" Day