Teeland Middle School
Letter from the Principal
Dear Teeland Families,
Thank you for your continuing support as we navigate the ever changing landscape of public education during the continuing 2 year pandemic and the community divisiveness in regard to masks. On Friday, the District sent out the most recent change to our mitigation plan. Masks will continue to be strongly encouraged when we are in the medium risk level (yellow), but not required. TMS continues to be in the medium risk level. We had 34 cases reported in the last five days of school. We are also seeing approximately 20-25% absenteeism on a daily basis, resulting in lower academic achievement for many of our students.
TMS is offering several opportunities for students to receive additional academic support:
1. Lunch time study hall during both lunches
2. After school study hall with Mr. Childs on Tuesday and Thursday, 2:20-3:30
3. Math Lab with Mrs. Buness and tutors from CTHS on Wednesdays, 2:30-3:30
Permission slips are required for the after school study halls. Please contact the front office for information or a permission slip. If you would like to require your student to attend lunch study halls, please call the school counselor.
On another topic, many of our students have cell phones with access to the internet. With this opportunity comes the responsibility of appropriate cell phone use. We encourage families to be actively involved in their student’s cell phone use. Below are some tips:
1. Establish an agreement/contract for cell phone use prior to purchasing one for your student
2. Use parental control apps (Bark/Qustudio/Kaspersky/Boomerang are some options)
3. Have an expectation that your child can only download apps with your permission- students frequently have social media accounts of which their parents are unaware
4. Have a “parking lot” established in your home for cell phones during designated times, such as dinner time, family outings or activities, when friends are over to visit (friend parks their phone too), and at bedtime. Parents use the “parking lot” too!
5. Make sure your child understands and uses privacy settings to limit the opportunity for others to have access to their personal information
6. Limit exposure to social media and take the time to look at your child’s social media accounts
We are seeing an increase in negative behavior related to cell phone use and we are asking for parents to continue to frequently monitor their child’s phone.
Due to the school closures the first week of January, the previously scheduled Parent/Teacher Conference days in February, are now required student contact days. Teachers will have times outside of the regular school days for parents to schedule conferences as needed. These times will be sent out in a future email. As always, please reach out with questions or concerns, 907-352-7500.
Mrs. Hinds - Principal
Teeland Middle School
- February 4 - Art Adventures
- February 28 - 6th Grade Volleyball Begins
- March 3 - Quarter 3 Ends
- March 4 - Teacher Work Day, No School for Students
- March 7 - 11 Spring Break
- April 4 - Track and Field Begins
After School Study Hall with Mr. Childs
Meet in Mr. Childs' room, B205. Permission slips are in the office.
Study Hall is also offered during lunches.
A lunch meets in Mr. Hardman's room, C101.
B lunch meets in Mrs. Mobley's room, C208.
February 4th Art Adventures
Paper Mache Bowls
Friday, February 4th, 2:20 - 4:00 pm. There is a $10 material fee available on SchooPay. Permission slips are in the office.
Speech and Debate Club
Welcome to the Speech and Debate Club!
This club will help students learn how to speak and clarify thoughts, conduct thorough research, and articulate ideas with conviction and confidence.
Join Mrs. Porcello after school on Wednesday from 2:20 - 3:45 pm in room C108.
Permission slips are in the office. Students must be picked up by 4 pm to attend this club.
Valentine's Day Dance
Fun, Food, Prizes, and Photo Booth!
$5.00 Entrance Fee
Sponsored by the TMS Music Department and DJ'd by our very own Mr. Robson!
Snacks and drinks will be available at the concession stand for an additional cost.
Students attending MUST be picked up no later than 4:00 pm.
8th Grade Information
If your 8th-grade student is interested in attending Career Tech High School, the CTHS application is open online through ParentVue from January 24th – February 18th.
Colony High School Counselors will be at Teeland Middle to visit with 8th graders on February 17th – we will call 8th graders down each period through their ELA classes.
Valley Pathways High School visits TMS on February 22nd @ 12:00pm.
NAEP testing for selected 8th graders will be on Wednesday March 3, 2022.
PSAT testing for 8th graders who have signed up will be on February 23, 2022.
Safety and Security
As another reminder, when dropping off your student, please do not allow him/her to get out of the vehicle on the street side. With the darkness and icy roads, a student exiting their vehicle in the street is a recipe for disaster.
Safety and Security Coordinator
Information about testing, positive or pending tests, and what to do if you need to quarantine.