Potomac HS Community Newsletter
September 3, 2023
We’re off and running into Week 3! In observance of Labor Day, there will be no school on Monday students will return on Tuesday, 9/5. Please find several important Potomac Senior High School updates below:
+ LOCKDOWN: Last week, school administration was made aware of an unconfirmed threat by phone. Out of an abundance of caution, we immediately entered into our “Lockdown” emergency posture to ensure that students and staff remained safe throughout the building while the threat was investigated. I know that entering into any emergency posture, particularly a Lockdown, is jarring but we’ve embraced a general schoolwide approach to emergencies to take the most aggressive emergency posture with the understanding that over-reaction is better than under-reaction. I want you to know that every single life in our building matters to us and we’re willing to do what it takes to keep every student, staff member, and community member who sets foot on our campus safe throughout the school day. I want to thank our Security and Admin teams for courageously coordinating our response throughout the building. Although 4 messages were sent home during the incident, we are working with PWCS to increase timely parent communication in any future emergency scenarios. We are also working with PWC PD to identify the caller to proceed with filing formal police charges.
- If you did not receive messaging during last week’s incident, this could be an indication that you need to update your Back To School Packet! Instructions for completing the packet can be found HERE. Please complete the Back To School Packet by September 8th. The information you provide will allow school staff to have the most up-to-date contact information and ensure effective communication this school year.
+ SCHOOL PICTURE DAY: 9th, 10th, and 11th Grade students will have school pictures taken on 9/5 and 9/6 during English classes. Parents, it's not too late to order your underclassmen picture package! Please visit the Lifetouch website linked HERE to order your student’s picture package using Picture Day ID: EVT8T3XHG.
+ 24/7 ONLINE TUTORING: Potomac HS is proud to continue it’s partnership with PAPER, a 24/7 academic support tutoring platform. Through PAPER our students can safely and securely chat with an expert tutor anytime, anywhere, for FREE. Whether students need help clarifying homework questions or feedback on a written assignment, they can receive on-demand and unlimited help when they need it. Please be sure to take advantage of this awesome resource!
+ ACTIVITY BUSES: Potomac Activity Buses are back! Beginning on 9/5, each Tuesday and Thursday students will be provided with FREE Activity Bus transportation to support afterschool academic support and extracurricular participation. Students should verify teacher/sponsor availability beforehand. Students riding Activity Buses will be picked-up from Potomac at ~4:45pm and may be dropped off at more general stops throughout the community instead of their normal AM/PM bus stops.
+ POTOMAC ATHLETICS TICKETS: Fall sports are here! Throughout the 23 – 24 school year, all HOME game tickets and athletic passes will be sold online only! Tickets will be available via Ticket Spicket and can be purchased beforehand by clicking HERE.
+ POTOMAC TECH UPDATES:
- Did you know that Canvas, Office 365, and login/password supports are available to access 24/7 on the school website? Please use THIS link to be redirected to several resources available online to provide students and parents with self-service options to resolve common issues and frequently asked questions. If you’re not doing so, we recommend checking the Potomac HS website daily!
- The StudentVUE app is a fantastic tool for students to access class schedules, grades, and more right from their phone! If your student has not yet downloaded the app, please visit our Potomac StudentVUE Access webpage HERE for easy-to-follow steps for access. Contact your Grade-Level Secretary for more ParentVUE or StudentVUE information.
- REMINDER! Students/Parents are also able to review bus information by logging into StudentVUE or ParentVUE. Simply select “Student Info” on the lefthand menu and scroll down to “AM (or PM) Transportation Type” for the Bus #, Bus Stop Location, and Times. Download the “HERE COMES THE BUS” App HERE so you can track your bus in real time and receive push notifications regarding the status of your bus.
- Families will be responsible for any damage, including accidental damage, that occurs to student laptops this year and insurance coverage can help provide peace of mind. Please visit the Securranty website by clicking HERE for more information about this insurance policy and to purchase the insurance directly.
- Potomac Parents are encouraged to create a Canvas Observer account to follow along with class assignments and announcements throughout the year. Please see THIS link to a previous Potomac Parent Townhall with valuable steps and information for parent Canvas use.
+ SHOUT OUT! I’d like to give special recognition to our Potomac PTSO! As we’ve started the year, they have assisted with supporting staff during Welcome Week, welcoming students and families during New Student Orientation, and coordinating concessions at various games…and that’s just in the first 2 weeks! Our PTSO Parents are securing financial sponsorships from community partners, providing input on school decisions, and making a HUGE difference by making sure our students and staff are supported throughout the year. If you haven’t already, please plan on joining the 1st PTSO Meeting of the year on Thursday, September 21st at 7p and join our Potomac PTSO by using THIS link to pay yearly membership of $20/family. THANK YOU PTSO Panther Parents!
+ UPCOMING EVENTS:
- September 1 & September 4: Labor Day Holiday (NO SCHOOL)
- September 21: PTSO Meeting @ 7p (Potomac Library)
For more information on school news, upcoming events, and activities, please visit the Potomac HS website HERE.
Thank you for your continued support of Potomac Senior High School!
Brandon Boles, Principal