The Spartan Standard
Creating Coherent Systems That Promote Learning For All
Our Mission: Why We Do The Right Thing
- Academic rigor across the curriculum fostering lifelong intellectual curiousity
- A climate of respect, fairness, equality, and security promoting individual confidence and responsibility
- A culture of collaboration between school, family, and community
- A proactive network of student support
- Exciting, unprecedented opportunities for student involvement
- Creative and artistic expression
- State of the Art Technology
Mary Rose's Schedule
Monday, November 10:
8:30 Master Schedule Team
10:30 Classroom visits
1:00 Office Time
Tuesday, November 11:
NO SCHOOL: Veteran's Day Holiday
11:30 Boys Water Polo Playoffs @ Del Norte HS
Wednesday, November 12:
8:00 Dr. Del Rosario re: Curriculum PD
10:30 Classroom Visits
2:50 Faculty Mtg. location TBD
4:00 A-G Think-Tank
Thursday, November 13:
6:30 Classroom Visits
9:00 Principal Mtg. @ PDC
2:00 Doctor's Appointment
6:00 Long Range Facility Master Plan Mtg. @ Learning Lab
Friday, November 14:
9:00 Classroom visits
Saturday, November 15:
8:00 Saturday School
Monday, November 17:
7:30 Classroom visits
1:49 PLC/Advisory Group (English 9)
3:30 A-Team Mtg.
Tuesday, November 18:
8:30 Coffee with the Principal @ Learning Lab
12:00 AVID Team Mtg.
2:45 School Site Council Mtg.
Wednesday, November 19:
9:00 R. Leyba
2:50 Special Faculty Meeting--WASC @ Learning Lab
Thursday, November 20: Extended Lunch--Potato Topper For Staff
8:00 iPad Training @ Computer Lab
12:00 Potato Topper Luncheon @ Learning Lab
6:00 Board Meeting HS Principal Presentation
Friday, November 21:
7:45 Calendar Mtg. @ Learning Lab
4:00 CTFLC @ Learning Lab
Kudos and Thanks
- Congratulations and Kudos to Diana Kulhanek for coordinating and organizing Chula Vista High School's Second Annual "Bring A Veteran To School" Day. Diana was also honored in this event by the Offices of Representatives Ben Hueso and Dan Alvarez. Mayor Cheryl Cox, Superintendent Tim Glover, Board President John McCann, and many veterans from the Navy, Army, Air Force, and Marines graced the affair. Through Diana's efforts, the Lakeside VFW Post 5867 and Auxiliary co-sponsored this event by paying for all T-shirts and coordinating the veterans to visit our site. Kudos also to Tony Atienza whose Main Attraction paid a musical tribute to the veterans, and Sharon Maley, whose Drama students presented vignettes based on the experiences during the holidays of veterans they interviewed. Many thanks to DiAnne Cabe and the ASB for their assistance, and to Charles Batchman and John McCourt for sound. Thank you to all teachers who participated by bringing their students to the assembly or hosting a veteran in your class to speak to students. It was a really impressive affair. Special thank you to Paul Gallegos for taking pictures and sharing them.
- Congratulations to Coach Amr Soli. Boys Water Polo made it to playoffs!
- Many thanks to all our on-staff Fall Sports coaches for their hard work with our student-athletes: Kris Larsen (Football), Sue Kalaher (Girls Volleyball), and Jose Cobian (Cross Country).
- Kudos to Dawn Arriola who organized the JDRF Diabetes Run last Saturday. Thank you to Michelle Spielman, Beatriz Bey (and her husband), Hilda Bender, and Dawn Arriola's family for joining her team and participating in the Diabetes Run.
Bring A Veteran To School Day
As we walk through, we will continue to look for the following:
- DLT in the correct format
- Structured Student Interaction
- For Monday: How is Intervention time being used to support or enrich students?
Faculty Meeting Agenda
We will continue with our WASC Focus Group work. All staff need to report to their Focus Group meeting place (the same place you met in last month).
- Focus Group Leaders will speak to their team about the WASC Chairperson's visit.
- Focus Groups will continue to provide input to respond to the prompts.
- Focus Groups will continue to work on identifying strengths and prioritizing areas of need.
- If necessary, Focus Groups will discuss how to get all information necessary to completely address the prompts for their Focus Group report.
- Focus Group, in reviewing their report, will answer their critical question (Focus Group Leaders have their respective critical question).
Before the end of our working session, all of us will meet back in the Learning Lab. A representative from each focus group will do a short summary presentation of your focus group work and findings for all certificated staff.
Thank you for your hard work.
Technology Tips from Christine Yarzabek (Our Friendly Apple Trainer)
iTunes U is a free app for teachers and students. It gives you access to complete courses from leading colleges/universities and schools from across the globe. iTunes U is the largest digital collection of free educational resources. This tool allows you to learn anytime and anywhere! Students can explore their interests and teachers can supplement their lessons with wonderful videos, web links, appls, and more. You can do everything from a tour around Stanford University to taking a course on Economics with Harvard. This is an app that all students and teachers should explore!
Check it out:
For The Common Good
- Mark Your Calendar: The Second Annual Potato Topper/Thanksgiving Social will be on Thursday, November 20 during an extended lunch in the Learning Lab. If you will be in iPad Training that day, I already asked the facilitator to break for lunch when we have lunch so that those in the training can join in.
- Activities, Field Trips, and Fundraisers: ALL proposed activities, field trips, and fundraisers MUST go through DiAnne Cabe, Assistant Principal of Student Activities. All Club Advisors and teachers planning field trips, shows, and fundraisers must get approval from Ms. Cabe before proceeding with raising money, ordering buses, or publicizing their activities. In addition to ensuring that there will be no major activities conflicts, Ms. Cabe can walk anyone through the requirements and paperwork needed for activities. Thank you for your cooperation to ensure activities protocols are followed.