Sir Francis Drake,hes is from Tavistock, United Kingdom ; vice admiral (c. 1540 – 27 January 1596) was an English sea captain, privateer, navigator, slaver, and politician of the Elizabethan era. Drake carried out the second circumnavigation of the world in a single expedition, from 1577 to 1580, and was the first to complete the voyage as captain while leading the expedition throughout the entire circumnavigation. With his incursion into the Pacific he inaugurated an era privateering and piracy in the western coast of the Americas –an area that had previously been free of piracy.
Who did he sail for?
He sailed for Elizabeth I and was awarded a knighthood in the year 1581
Sir Francis Drake Video
He was the first Englishman to sail around the world in the Golden Hind. He discovered the upper part of California and names it New Albion
More about Drake
- There were rumors that Francis Drake and Queen Elizabeth had a love bond between them.
- He captured the town of Nombre de Dios and its treasures; In 1588, he was appointed as the vice admiral of the English Navy, and managed to capture Spanish ships and defeat the Spanish Armada
- Francis Drake was a brave and adventurous Englishman explorer who was dedicated to his job.
- Some of his voyages were to go on trading expedition to the Nile
- At the beginning of his voyages the first couple didn't turn out well. He had 3 ships and the weather affected the ships and took down the smallest one with everyone on it.