Chinook News for Wk of 4/10-4/14
Your every Sunday oh-FISH-al school newsletter!
This Week: 4/10-4/14
- 4/10-4/14- This is an HEALTH Week (FYI: Art/Health is on a rotating schedule)
- 4/10-4/14 - GYM Schedule / Mr. Hall OUTSIDE gym & Ms. Straubinger INSIDE gym
- 4/10-4/14 - Make Up AK Star Assessments for 3rd-6th grade (more info below)
- MON, 4/10 - Chinook PTA Mtg / Zoom / 6PM
- WED, 4/12 - Chinook Talent Show Try Outs / 3:45-5:00 (more info below)
- THU, 4/13 - Chinook COSA Membership Meeting / Zoom / 5:45PM
- FRI, 4/14 - CHINOOK SPIRIT DAY
- 4/29 - Chinook Barnes & Noble Bookfair Day
- 5/4 - CHINOOK MULTICULTURAL NIGHT (MORE INFO BELOW)
- 5/16 - Dimond Grad Walk (tentative / more info to come)
- 5/16 - Field Day (More info to come)
- 5/17 - Talent Show (tentative / more info to come)
- 5/23 - STUDENTS LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
- 5/23 - 6th Grade Moving on Ceremony (more info to come)
Summer Learning Opportunities with ASD
LINK HERE for info regarding summer options for various programs:
- Elementary K-3 / for those who qualify / teachers will start making contact this week.
- Extended School Year for student with qualifying IEP's
- 21st Century CLC Summer Enrichment Program
School Attendance: Our goal is 90%
Let's be prepared...
* REPEAT * 2023 AK STAR and Alaska Science Assessment
Each spring, Alaskan students are provided an opportunity to show what they know. When students show what they know, teachers and parents can partner to promote student success. The State of Alaska Department of Education has partnered with NWEA to align and connect the English language arts (ELA) and mathematics tests with the MAP Growth benchmark assessments students take in fall and winter.
This balanced assessment system targets instruction to better support meeting students’ individual learning needs. In addition, students will take only one assessment per content area (ELA and math) and be provided two scores as follows:
Summative assessment result at grade-level
MAP Growth interim benchmark result , including growth from fall to spring
AK STAR, the Alaska System of Academic Readiness, is comprised of English language arts and mathematics and is administered to students in grades 3-9. The Alaska Science Assessment is administered to students in grades 5, 8 and 10. The purpose of a large-scale, summative assessment is to provide parents and schools an overall picture of a student’s progress in meeting the Alaska standards at grade level.
Parents can locate resources for AK STAR test and the Alaska Science Assessment, including directions for Student Readiness (Practice Tests and Tutorials), student testing times and general assessment information on the ASD website at https://www.asdk12.org/akstar.
Parents can also help by ensuring their children are well rested, eat a nutritious breakfast, and are at school on time for the days of testing. Please avoid scheduling appointments on your child’s testing days.
The ASD AK STAR and Alaska Science Assessment testing window allows for school assessment scheduling flexibility. Students! Get ready to show what you know during our school’s AK STAR and Alaska Science Assessment testing dates:
- April 4-7 with make up testing the following week (April 10-14)
Chinook Talent Show Try Outs 4/12/23
Coming May 4th - Chinook Multicultural Night
Come work with us!
- Do you want to join our Chinook team?
- Do you know of a strong educator that would be great on our Chinook team?
To best educate your students, our goal is to have ALL positions filled with high quality staff. Help us do that by getting the word out...
We are hiring for next year (23/24):
PHOTOS: A peak inside the great things happening at Chinook!
*REPEAT* THINKING ABOUT SUMMER?
Some of the larger summer programs are already opening registration.
- Campfire - 3 different programs offered scholarships available and daycare assistance accepted based on program Enrollment open
- Trailside - scholarships available Enrollment open
- Dome - Scholarships available Enrollment open
- Alaska club - day care assistance accepted at some sites enrollment open
- Ymca - day care assistance accepted enrollment opens 3/1
- UAA Summer Engineering Academies - Enrollment open
- UAA College of Arts and Science Summer Camps
Chinook Vision Statement
We, the staff and students at Chinook Elementary, commit ourselves to working together to provide a positive and safe school environment that strives to meet the needs of our diverse community of learners.