12-19-13 (Vol. 16) Final Edition
SOLANA HIGHLANDS FRIDAY FOCUS
I will miss Solana Highlands greatly and am grateful for each of you. Sincerely, Jerry
Common Core Math - Way to Go!!!
Fallbrook Principal Visit
This week, three principals from Fallbrook came to observe our Common Core implementation. We were able to visit a few teachers and the quote from Julie Norby sums the visit up so well:
"The principals from Fallbrook were absolutely blown away with our implementation of Common Core Math Standards and the shifts in instructional practices. They commented on the high engagement of students in Real Life Application of Mathematics; the consistency of instruction across the grade level; the use of math manipulatives in all classrooms; the rigor of instruction, activities and conversation; the use of academic vocabulary and high levels of critical thinking! There was incredible evidence of students making the shift from standard algorithms to deeper understanding of mathematics-Not to mention that every classroom had examples of the Standards for Mathematical Practice being valued and encouraged! The team was quite in awe of all that you have accomplished in such a short amount of time!
My own personal observation today was centered around a genuine excitement for mathematics and numbers. Not only were the students excited about doing math, the teachers were genuinely engaged in the meaningful and purposeful teaching of mathematics! Such a shift from "turn to page 54, watch me, practice, repeat!" I'm so proud to be in a district where teachers model life long learning and are continuing to refine our practice and our craft! Our students reap the benefits!!"
- Matt - For being named Interim Principal at Solana Highlands. I know that Matt will be amazing!
- Lisa Salley, Kirsten, Lauren, Hollis, Matt, Shaina, Marcie, Marie, Kristie - for your participation in the Lucy Calkins Pathways to the Common Core Book Club. What great discussion. I know that this group and our Lucy Calkins Units of Study pilot group will take writing to new heights at Solana Highlands!
- Office and Support Staff - Thank you for the delicious soups and salads!
- Nancy - for helping serve lunches during our rainy day recess
- Debra and Christine - For attending the Common Core Workshop on Tuesday and Wednesday. Your dedication is so appreciated and it is making a difference with our students. Just yesterday, Melinda shared how her students are doing better than they have ever done. Just think by the time our Kinders and First graders reach 4th grade. They will be amazing!
- Susanna - For having students spread our pillar of caring to our Support Staff through their making Holiday cards!
- Hollis and Adriana - Great job producing DNN
- School Site Council - Thank you Lisa Salley, Jen Battaglia, Hollis Lefkowitz, Kirsten Oliver, Marie Schultz, Rob Bell, Matt
- Office Staff - Thank you for the gifts - White Out, Hot Chocolate, Candy Cane, and Nice Packaging (thank you Kathy for your efforts!)
Education Corner - Growth Mindset and the Common Core Standards
See full article below