CB West High School
West Times Newsletter 9.4.2020
NEWS FROM THE GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
PSAT TESTS: The PSAT test will be offered for all juniors on October 17th, 2020, and again for all sophomores in March of 2021. Juniors who take the PSAT in October may become eligible for numerous scholarships, including the prestigious National Merit Scholarship awarded during the senior year (based on PSAT scores as a junior). For sophomores, the PSAT is not a required test, and sophomores who test are not eligible for any merit awards; however, the PSAT 10 does provide sophomores practice for the SATs that are typically taken in the second half of the junior year and into the senior year. Offering the PSAT 10 in the spring will provide sophomores with access to this practice opportunity, while also ensuring an additional 16 weeks of academic preparation leading up to the test. Additional details regarding the March PSAT date will be communicated through our guidance department. Please check the Guidance Testing page for registration information and further updates.
District Financial Aid Info Session: The CBSD Financial Aid Night will take place virtually on Monday, October 19, 2020 at 6:30 PM. The presenter will be Fran McKeown from PHEAA (PA. Higher Education Assistance Agency). Topics will include the types of financial aid available, the application process (using the FAFSA), comparing aid offers, and more. The link will be posted on our website when it becomes available. For more financial aid information, links and resources, please visit our Financial Aid webpage.
Social/Emotional Wellness: The Guidance Department will provide resources throughout the year to support students’ social and emotional health. Mr. Manners, one of our 11th grade counselors, plans to run an online Stress Reduction Program, available to all students. This 6-week Mindfulness based program will be offered this fall through the Teams platform and is designed to assist students with stress, attention, and overall quality of life. Students interested in participating in this program should contact Mr. Manners directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class Informational Meetings: Counselors will be hosting virtual Informational Meetings for their respective classes in the early part of September. In these sessions, counselors will review topics relevant to each class, such as timelines, standardized testing, college and career planning, and more. Parents and students are encouraged to participate. Please watch for future announcements and emails with invitations to the Class Info Sessions!
Back to School Night
Central Bucks High School West will host a virtual Back to School Night on September 29th at 7:00 PM. During this important event, teachers will explain the academic program, answer questions about the curriculum, and discuss what they expect from students. More details to follow.
From the IT Department
We are currently working to ensure all students have a device for next week. To ensure a smooth start on the first day of school, we are providing some technology recommendations.
- Device Set-up: Please be sure to test that your laptop and/or iPad turns on prior to school. Restart devices a few times to get the latest updates.
- Teams Practice Call: All students should test their web cam, microphone, and speakers today. Visit this site for information on how to test your equipment and how to use Teams: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/63271
- Student Username and Passwords: All students should log in prior to the start of school. All students K-12 will be prompted to input additional security information upon logging into any Office365 programs. This is required and activates the ability for students to reset their own password when necessary. Please visit our Password Guide to learn more about this topic: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/63155
- Getting Support: We have multiple layers of support available for students. Please try to test all equipment today so that you have time to receive support prior to the first day of school. If you are missing any items, please purchase them on our site. Visit our tech support page to learn about all levels of assistance we will provide: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/63431
- Virtual Workflow for Students: It is important that all students know how to access their first Teams call for the first day of school. The workflow for accessing Teams calls for all students is explained in this graphic: https://tinyurl.com/yyxo3686
- iPad Troubleshooting: All K-2 iPads were set up over the summer and then shut down. Some apps are still trying to install upon connecting to home WiFi. In this process, we are finding some iPads have one or more apps that are “stuck” installing. Please follow these trouble-shooting steps to resolve this issue: https://tinyurl.com/yxfzkcql
Thank you for all of your support during the start of schools. Visit https://www.cbsd.org/1to1 frequently to receive updates on our program.
-From the Technology and Innovation Department
Technology Resources for Students and Families
The Tech and Innovation Department has made some great training modules accessible through their 1to1 website for families who need to familiarize themselves with Teams, Canvas, office 365, and more.
A very brief screencast video was made that we will embed in our newsletters to encourage more use of this amazing resource. The intro that will appear in today’s Return to School 2020 newsletter with links is below and the video may be found here: https://vimeo.com/454512961
The district's technology and innovation department has prepared a number of training modules for families to help them navigate the technology resources students will use. Families will find modules for Canvas, Office 365, Microsoft Teams, and more. Visit www.cbsd.org/1to1 and click "Grade 3-12 Technology Orientation."
During virtual learning, we will be following the same attendance policies and procedures as we typically do, outlined in the Pennsylvania Act 138 attendance policies and as described in our Student handbook. Importantly, attendance is compulsory and students are expected to be on time daily. Teachers will be taking attendance each block through Infinite Campus, our student management system. In the event that a student is late or absent, please email or call the CB West Attendance Office. If we do not receive notification and/or if an absence or lateness is not excused, attendance meetings and letters may be warranted.
Item Distribution and Drop Off
Hello CB West Students and Families,
First and foremost, we hope you are well as we get ready for the 2020-2021 school year! In order to best serve you, we are providing a detailed plan for you to pick up items and drop off items throughout virtual learning. Please reach out to your house office with any questions or concerns, and thank you in advance for your help with this.
Start of School
- When: We will distribute books and necessary curriculum materials on Wednesday, 9/9/20 and Thursday, 9/10/20 from 2:00pm-7:00pm. This will be supervised and directed by administration and support staff.
Last Names Starting with A-K
Wednesday, 9/9/20: 2:00pm-4:30pm
- Thursday, 9/10/20: 4:30pm-7:00pm
Last Names Starting with L-Z
- Wednesday, 9/9/20: 4:30pm-7:00pm
- Thursday, 9/10/20: 2:00pm-4:30pm
- Where: All distribution and collection will take place in the West cafeteria and hallway near security. Please park in the Junior lot off of MacFarlane Lane. You will then be directed where to go. Please wear a mask and keep 6 feet social distancing at all times. Only 1 person per family may come into the building. Please bring a bag or bookbag to carry your items.
- For students with last name A-K, please enter the cafeteria through the side doors next to the security entrance. Tables will be set up with alphabetized (by last name) placards listing students’ names. Please exit the cafeteria and exit the building at the athletic entrance.
- For students with last name L-Z, please enter the building through the security entrance and make a right at the first hallway to find tables set up with alphabetized placards. Please exit the building at the athletic entrance.
- Process: Please find your placard, take the items under the placard, and leave the placard on the table at your spot.
- Important: Please leave all name labels on any and all items given to you. This will be essential when you return items.
- Larger Materials: Teachers will communicate with you if you have larger items to pick up. Large items will be labeled with your name and will be in the back of the cafeteria in the large-item section.
As We Move Into The School Year
- Pick Up and Drop Off of Materials: Recognizing that some classes will need to give out and collect items more frequently, we will designate every other Thursday from 2:00pm-4:00pm as the time where students can pick up and/or drop off materials. These days will be supervised by support staff and/or administration.
- Pick Up Items: Picking up items will follow the same process as above, as teachers will place items for students under their name placards or on the designated large item tables if there are larger items.
- Drop Off: Students will drop off materials in a bin in the cafeteria. If there are large items to be dropped off, they will be put in the designated large-item area in the cafeteria.
- Communication: Teachers will communicate with students who need to pick up and drop off items, and let them know of the next date to do so.
- Dates: The following are the Thursday dates for pick up and drop off of items mapped out for the whole year (just in case and subject to change):
- 11/19/20 (because of the holiday the following week)
- 12/17/20 (because of the holiday the following week)
Thank you, and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Breakfast and Lunch
During the period of online-only learning to begin the 2020-21 school year, grab-n-go breakfast and lunch will be available to all students at no cost. The student does not need to be present at pickup. Click on this link for details.
Virtual Learning Tips and Tricks
Click the picture below to be directed to a video created by CB West teachers with tips and resources for online learning.
Antler Yearbook Information
Don't forget to reserve your child an Antler yearbook for this school year. Until the end of September, the Antler will hold a Back to School special, where yearbooks will be only $70! Due to COVID, we will only be accepting online orders, at www.jostens.com . Don't delay - last year we completely sold out of yearbooks - be sure to reserve your child's high school memories today! Seniors Only - Visit the Antler website for Baby Photo information. https://www.cbsd.org/Domain/476
Parents of Seniors- The Antler Yearbook needs YOUR help!
We want this year’s seniors to get the recognition they deserve! Do you have a senior who has excelled in the arts, community service, music, athletics or has a special interest or hobby? Do you have a photo of your senior on their first day of kindergarten AND the first day of their senior year? If so, please send photos and information about your senior to email@example.com with your student’s name in the subject line! *Please note that we cannot guarantee that every submission will be included.
IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS FROM PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
The Pennsylvania Department of Health has revised the immunization requirements for students.
The state law immunization requirement must be completed by November 5, 2020.
Please click here for further details.
If the student is in the middle of a series and it is too soon for the next dose, the parents must provide the school nurse with a plan for immunizations (signed by a health care provider) within the first 5 days. If the student has incomplete immunizations and no medical plan, the student will be excluded from school.
You may check your child’s school immunization record by logging onto the parent portal through the district website at this link or by consulting with your child’s physician.
CB West Parent Council
We look forward to continuing our partnership with parents through the 2020-2021 Central Bucks West Parent Council. Membership to the council is open to all interested CB West parents.
Meetings will be held virtually for time being. More information will be forthcoming later on how to access Meetings begin at 9:00 AM and conclude at 10:30 AM:
September 23, 2020
October 21, 2020
November 18, 2020
January 20, 2021
February 24, 2021
March 20, 2021
April 21, 2021
Some of the goals of the group will be:
· To foster a dialogue between the home and school through the collegial sharing of ideas and concerns
· To undertake project(s) as developed by the group
· To support the school in the community by information sharing
We hope you will be able to participate in our 2020-2021 Parent Council.