Mollie B Hoover Elementary
Author Visit- Bruce Lansky
In the library:
- students will hear about Bruce and his books. The more they know, the more they'll appreciate and benefit from the visit.
- we will read aloud from some of Bruce's books.
- we will make a special display.
- students will be offered an opportunity to pre-order his books.
The week of the visit:
- hang a welcome banner at the front entrance.
- have students illustrate their favorite story or poem by Bruce. Display student work in hallways.
- Encourage students to either individually or in groups practice reciting their favorite poems by Bruce. Ask students to prepare questions for him.
- Teach students the importance of being a good audience.
TIPS for TEACHERS
Prior to Bruce's visit, you may want to read some of Bruce's work. Here are some fun and educational websites for poetry projects and curriculum ideas to help prepare your students for the visit:
www.PoetryTeachers.com - offers easy and interesting lessons that include the works of Bruce Lansky.
www.GigglePoetry.com -offers giggle-inducing poems, poetry games and races, and poetry writing exercises that include Bruce's work.
www.FictionTeachers.com - offers creative lessons for teaching reading and writing skills, as well as ideas for using children's works of fiction in your curriculum.
http://www.meadowbrookpress.com/t/bruce-lansky -more information about Bruce.
New books hitting the shelf this week!
Many teachers have shared that they'd like for their students to have at least one 'just right' chapter book. I will make a note on your class roster if you have any special requests on book check-out requirements, just let me know.
Book limits are officially set at 2 books and 1 magazine as long as they are in good standing with the library. However, I've explained the analogy to students that checking out books is like going to the salad bar- take what you can consume. If you can read two just right chapter books in one week, great! Take two. If not, take what you can realistically read.
1. Teachers, we'd like for you to take 2-5 minutes to complete a brief 7 question survey to help us plan for future professional development opportunities. It is anonymous and only one entry per IP address is permitted. Watch your inbox for a separate email with a link to the survey address.
2. We will be sending laptop carts one at a time to CMS to be serviced and updated. I will try to give you as much advance notice as possible before each cart leaves the building. Mrs. Nicholas and I will begin working on updates to the computer labs later this week.
3. Please report any technology issues to Mrs. Smith or Mrs. Nicholas. We will work diligently to resolve your technology problems in a timely fashion so that you are able to do great things for kids!