September 19, 2016
Hope everyone had a terrific weekend! Naples certainly did... Our soccer teams dominated on Saturday:
- JV Girls triumph over Waterloo 2:1
- JV Boys prevailed over Campbell Savona 4:0, and
- Varsity Boys were victorious over Campbell Savona, 3:0.
While our Varsity Girls had an upset, they played hard and lost 2:1 to Waterloo in the final moments of the game.
Olympic Gold Medalist, Meghan Musnicki, surprised us all at the Community Park when she arrived and cheered on the Green Machine! She was gracious enough to conduct another round of posing for pictures & signing autographs. Our students were thrilled!
Nearly 80% (~260 +/-) of our students attended the Homecoming Dance! I could never have imagined such a fantastic turn out! I feel confident that the vast majority of students enjoyed a terrific evening of music, dancing, friends, and fun! Thank you to our chaperones - Aubrey, Analisa, Michelle, Tess, Fran, and Bill - for their vigilant supervision to ensure the safety of all of our students. Also...kudos to Bill Murphy and the Student Council for producing a memorable Homecoming experience for our students!.
Congratulations to Senior, Emmett Felton
Emmett has been recognized as one of 16,000 National Merit Scholarship semi-finalists! He was identified as a result of his performance on the PSAT as a Junior, scoring in the top 1% of students across the country. Qualifying as a semi-finalist makes Emmett eligible to pursue status as a FINALIST, which carries the possibility of significant scholarship opportunities. Mr. Petrie, Mr. Freivald, Mr. Murphy and I met with Emmett on Thursday afternoon of last week to recognize this accomplishment and to formally present him the award letter (and to treat him to some cookies).
Student Truancy - Clarification
In the event a student is truant from class, please DO generate a referral from SchoolTool. Please ALSO call the Main Office as soon as you become a aware a student is not present in your class or studyhall. The sooner the Main Office is alerted about a "missing" student, the sooner we can locate and redirect the student. Aubrey or I will absolutely process the referral in the most expedient, "real time" as possible.
Communication with Families
Research has demonstrated the positive impact school-community-home partnerships can have on student achievement and behavior, including higher achievement, better attendance, more course credits earned, and more responsible preparation for class (Catsambis, 2001; Simon, 2004). Consistent, ongoing communication with families is integral to the development of optimal "home-school" partnerships. As such, my commitment to this effort includes:
- Monthly Newsletters - Mailed and available on the Naples HS webpage
- Daily Announcements - Evelyn is typing out the morning announcements and posting them daily on the Naples HS webpage. See top left hand corner of HS webpage...
- Email Blasts through SchoolTool - "On Demand" (include such things as reminders to students and families about Open House, expectations for behavior if attending the Homecoming dance, etc.)
- Board Memos - Following the BoE meeting on 9/21, I will be posting the monthly secondary updates to the HS webpage. You might want to take a peek and see the instructional highlights your colleagues are sharing! I will be reaching out monthly for your instructional highlights. Feel free to send something my way any time this month if you knock a lesson out of the ballpark and are willing to share!
To capture the events and information that would best support our parents and students, I invite you to send me updates that you would like to have added to the Monthly Newsletter. I am happy to add your submissions and will certainly reference you / your club or organization! The next newsletter will be mailed on October 10, so get anything you would like added in by October 5.
Town Hall Meetings - Involving Students in the Discussions
Thank you to the many of you who have already participated in Town Hall meetings. I have found the time productive and very helpful in framing my thinking about existing practices and culture and the aspirational goals that people have for our building. This week, Aubrey and I will meet with paraprofessionals and related support staff on Wednesday.
Week ending 9/30, I will offer Town Hall sessions to our students, as outlined below:
- Monday, 9/26: SENIORS
- Tuesday, 9/27: Sophomores and Juniors
- Wednesday, 9/28: 8th Graders and Freshman
- TBD: 7th graders ?
Town Hall Meetings will be on the announcements beginning on Wednesday. PLEASE encourage students to attend if you are approached by a student or become privy to a conversation about the Town Hall meetings. Thank you for your support!
I am very excited for the Naples Grape Fest this coming weekend. I have already had a number of requests for front lawn footage. To date, the following groups have secured a spot(s):
- Robotics (2 spaces)
- Band Boosters
- Senior Class - Bounce House
- Yearbook (Saturday)
- Naples School Association
- Steel Pan Band
Go Green Machine... Naples has SPIRIT!
This Week at a Glance
Monday, September 19
- Student Support Team Meeting, 12:15-1:00 (Ashton, Krenzer, Counseling Dept)
- Department Chair Meeting - 2:35 - 3:25, Staff Conference Room
Tuesday, September 20
- Leadership Meeting in District Office 2:00 - 4:00 (Aubrey, Anneke, and Bridget)
- Substitute Information Night 6:30, HS Auditorium
Wednesday, September 21
- BoE Meeting 7:00, HS Cafeteria
- Paraprofessional / Support Staff Town Hall Meeting (optional) with Bridget and Aubrey, Ninth Period, Auditorium. The structure for this meeting will center around the following essential questions:
*What would you like me to know about the student body at Naples JRSR High?
*What are you most proud about at NCSD?
*What do you perceive as key priorities in the building? District?
*What are the key challenges faced in your work? In the building?
*What other ideas / thoughts / concerns / advice might you share with me to assist in ensuring a smooth transition and /or moving the building forward?
*Are there any questions you have for me?
Thursday, September 22
- High School Picture Day, see schedule below
- Flu Shots, 10:30 - 11:30 in Health Office (Bring Insurance Card)
- Safety Team Meeting 2:30, HS Staff Conference Room
Friday, September 23
- WFL Principals' Meeting - Bridget OFFSITE in AM, ONSITE in PM
Saturday, September 24 - NAPLES GRAPE FESTIVAL
Sunday, September 25 - NAPLES GRAPE FESTIVAL
Picture Day Schedule
Thursday, September 22, 2016
LifeTouch will be here on Thursday, September 22nd to take portraits of all students, faculty and staff. Faculty and staff are welcome to come down to the auditorium as their schedule permits between 8:05 a.m. and 1:05 p.m. Students will be called to the auditorium by grade, please have students wait to be called by announcement. It is important that all students and staff have their picture taken. Pictures are used in the yearbook, schooltool and for student IDs.
8:00 a.m. – Morning Boces
8:05 a.m. – Senior class group picture in bus loop (taken by Yearbook Advisor)
8:15 a.m. – Seniors
8:50 a.m. – Juniors
9:35 a.m. – Freshman
10:20 a.m. - Sophomores
11:35 a.m. - 8th Grade
12:15 p.m. – 7th Grade
*schedule is subject to change so please wait for announcements
9/26: Department Meetings
9/26: Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Registrations/ TShirt Orders DUE
9/26: Town Hall Meeting - SENIORS, 9th Period in Auditorium
9/27: Rochester Area College Fair - HS Atrium: Juniors 10:00 - 10:20, Seniors 10:20 - 10:45
9/27: Town Hall Meeting - Grades 10 & 11, 9th Period in Auditorium
9/28: Town Hall Meeting - Grades 8 & 9, 9th Period in Auditorium
9/29: Mentor Meeting
10/3: Winter Sports Sign Up
10/3: HS SDM Meeting 9th period - Cafeteria
10/5: District Safety Meeting
10/5: Board of Education Meeting 7:00pm
10/5: Parent Monthly Newsletter Submissions due to Bridget (optional)
10/6: Elementary Open House 6:30 - 7:30
10/10: Columbus Day - No School
10/11: BoE Report Instructional Highlights to Bridget (optional)
10/13: HS Building Safety Team Meeting
10/16: Making Stride Against Breat Cancer Walk 10:00 Frontier Field
10/17: Faculty Meeting
10/19: PSAT Examinations
10/21: Conference Day - 1/2 Day for students
10/24: Department Chair Meetings
10/25: Senior Class Picture, Picture Retakes
10/31: Department Meetings
11/3: HS Parent Teacher Conferences - Evening
11/4: HS Parent Teacher Conferences - 1/2 Day for students
11/4: Senior Yearbook Submission Deadline
11/10: End of First Quarter Marking Period
11/16: First Quarter Marking Period Grades Due
From the Desk of Aubrey Krenzer, HS AP and K12 Data Coordinator
In order to protect the privacy of our students, details regarding the dates of an OSS suspension will not be sent through email. In order to determine when a student will be expected back in your class, please use the following feature on SchoolTool.
- Go to Attendance Tab
- On left hand side of screen, click on Today's Attendance (It will be defaulted to the current day.)
- Click on the Purple Triangle next to the Calendar Icon to choose any date in the future
- Continue scrolling through the calendar until you no longer see the suspension listed
All extended absences will be visible. These include planned vacations, doctor's appointments, and in-school and out-of-school suspensions.