Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
August 8th, 2016
NATIONAL YOUTH ARTS AWARD
- Isaac Dowdle: Lead Actor in a Musical as Prince Topher in “Cinderella”
- Terin Perla: Lead Actress in a Play as Raja in "I Never Saw Another Butterfly"
- Tiffany Noelle Ivy: Supporting Actress as Irena Synkova in "I Never Saw Another Butterfly"
- Faith Sterling: Lead Actress in a Musical as Ella in "Cinderella"
- Timara Crichlow: Supporting Actress in a Musical as Gabrielle in "Cinderella"
- Asma Eldirais: Supporting Actress in a Musical as Madame in "Cinderella"
- Ashby Gentry: Supporting Actor in a Play as Honza in "I Never Saw Another Butterfly"
- Ensemble of "Cinderella"
- Ms. Stephanie Likes: Direction of "I Never Saw Another Butterfly"
Thanks to everyone who came out and participated in last week’s Open House. Cheer, Band, JROTC, Treblemakers, StuCo, Link Crew, numerous clubs, and CHS’s amazing staff made this Open House a great success. Check out the Wolf Pack FAQs for great info regarding Infinite Campus Online Grades and Communication, CHS contacts, important dates, etc.
This Week's Home Events
- Tuesday, 8/9: V Football vs. Centennial Scrimmage- 6:00pm at Austin Field
- Tuesday, 8/9: IB/MYP Registration and Parent Night- 6:00pm in Media Center; IB Booster Club to follow at 7:00
- Thursday and Friday, 8/11 and 8/12, during both lunches: CHS Club Fair- CHS offers over 80 clubs/activities for students to join. There’s something to fit everyone’s interest!
YEARBOOK AND SCHOOL PICTURES
Seniors who have NOT taken their Senior photo for this year’s 2016-17 yearbook must make an appointment to have it done by August 31st. Contact Duke Photography at 480-838-3660.
The 2016-17 yearbook early bird price is $55.00. Pay in the bookstore or at jostensyearbooks.com before the price increases.
9th thru 11th grade yearbook pictures will be taken on Tuesday, August 16th, in the Chandler Center for the Arts. Students will have their pictures taken during their Math Classes.
CHEM STUDENTS PUTTING THE “S” IN STEM
Mr. Russ Good’s Chemistry class has been exploring Experimental Design, creating experiments with a research question, hypothesis, Independent, dependent and control variables and quantitative and qualitative observations. The Mentos Lab required the students to design the experiment where Mentos mints are dropped into a bottle of Diet Coke, causing a rapid release of gas. More mints equals more gas released and a higher stream of soda. They completed four trials with 1, 3, 5, and 7 mints, estimated the height of the spray, and completed a lab write-up.
CEF’S 100% AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
The Chandler Education Foundation's distinctive 100% Awareness program gets everyone involved! Every student and staff member in the Chandler Unified School District is asked to contribute in support of our schools and students. The dollars raised are used to award teacher enrichment grants to CUSD staff who would not otherwise have sources of funding or who would have to use their own money to support a classroom project.
To make your donation to the campaign, watch for your Chandler student to come home with the informational flyer and contribution envelope next week. Thanks for your support!
GILBERT MAYOR’S YOUTH ADVISORY COMMITTEE
CHS Sophomores and Juniors, who reside in Gilbert, are encouraged to apply for the Town of Gilbert’s Mayor’s Youth Advisory Committee. Applications are due August 18th. View the following link for requirements, a calendar, and applications.
IB-MYP REGISTRATION AND PARENT NIGHT
If you are a parent of a CHS Freshman interested in the International Baccalaureate Program, please plan on attending a Parent Information Night in the CHS Media Center on Tuesday, August 9th at 6:00pm. Contact Mrs. Bender with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
The first IB Booster Meeting will he held on Tuesday, August 9th, from 7:00-8:00pm in the CHS Media Center. In addition to regular agenda items, a guest speaker from Kaplan will provide parents with valuable information about the PSAT/ACT/SAT Tests.
CAREER CENTER NEWS
Sign up for the next ACT Exam at www.act.org. The CHS School Code is 030045.
College/Career Visits begin this week! Come by the College and Career Center to sign up for the upcoming presentations!
- Mesa Community College- Wednesday, 8/10 @ 8:30am
- The University of Arizona- Thursday, 8/11 @8:30am
- Marine Corps- Thursday, 8/11 @ 10:30am
- Embry-Riddle University- Monday, 8/15 @ 8:30am
- Northern Arizona University- Tuesday, 8/16 @ 8:30am and 9:45am (two identical presentations back-to-back)
- Arizona State University- Wednesday, 8/17 @ 8:30am in the CTE Lecture Hall
- University of Alabama- Wednesday, 8/31 @ 8:30am
Get excited for the Tri-University Tour! ASU, NAU and U of A are coming together on August 24th at 6:00pm at the CCA to ensure that CUSD families are well-informed about the opportunities and resources available to them. View the Tri-University Tour flyer for additional info.
This week’s spotlight, brought to you by the CHS Counseling Department, focuses on Architecture and Construction. If you have questions or would like additional info, CHS Counselors are here to help.
For those seeking a Bachelor’s degree or higher, here are some great careers in this field. All of these programs are available at one or more of our State colleges (ASU, U of A, & NAU).
1. Civil Engineering requires a Bachelor’s degree. The median salary in the U.S. is $64,000.
2. Architects need a Bachelor’s degree or higher. The median salary in the U.S. is $80,000.
3. Construction Management often requires a Bachelor’s degree or higher. The median salary in the U.S. is $85,000.
For those seeking a shorter education path, here are some great careers that require 2 or less years of education after high school:
1. Carpenters start out in the mid to high $20,000 range. Gateway Community College and Mesa Community College have strong programs in the construction trades.
2. Electricians and plumbers start out in the $30,000+ range, and training can be attained at Chandler Gilbert Community College, Gateway Community College or Maricopa Skills Center
3. Surveyors start in the high $30,000 to low $40,000 range, and training can be attained at Phoenix Community College.
Want to know more about what is happening at Chandler regarding the PSAT? Click to view the PSAT flyer for more info about the PSAT and PSAT9, as well as great study tools. October’s right around the corner!
ATTENTION: INTEL EMPLOYEES
CHS students can greatly benefit from your expertise, and we would love your support! Specifically, CHS is looking for volunteers to tutor math and science during the AVID elective classes. The INTEL School External Flyer will provide you with information on Matching Grant Programs that will help our school.
FRY’S COMMUNITY REWARDS
Participants may begin re-enrolling in the 2016-2017 Fry’s Community Rewards on August 1st. Please follow the process below and help CHS earn over $2000 for Student Council/Student Activities. We did it last year! Thanks for your support!
1. Go to www.Frys.com Community Rewards.com
2. Click on “Sign-In”
3. Enter your email and password, and click “sign in”.
4. Click on your name (top right hand corner), and under “Account Summary, scroll down to “Community Rewards”
5. Click on “Edit” under Community Rewards
6. Under Find Your Organization, Enter 80154 or Chandler High School and select “search”
7. Under “Select Your Organization,” click on the circle next to CHS.
8. Click on “Enroll”
If you have re-enrolled correctly, you should see a green box saying your enrollment has been updated.
Great Offers This Month!!
Why not eat at your favorite places in Chandler Fashion Center Mall and all the restaurants in the Boulevard Shops including those that circle the mall.
Earn Quadruple Points When You Dine OutAugust 1 - September 15
Submit your receipts by September 15th and earn Quadruple Points per dollar, that’s 20 points for each dollar spent at any restaurant / eatery!! Bring your receipts to Guest Services, located on the upper level across from Barnes & Noble or you can drop them off in the CHS front office. Visit ShopChandlerFashionCenter.com to view your dining options.
Earn Double Points From Selected StoresAugust 1 - September 15
Submit receipts by September 15 to earn 10 points per dollar spent: Ann Taylor, Brighton, Chico’s, Coach, Down East Basics, The Limited, Loft, Michael Kors, Motherhood Maternity, New York & Company, Oil & Vinegar, Vera Bradley, White House|Black Market.
View more offers on the School Cents website.
Let’s take advantage of this and make CHS some $$$