Autism Spectrum Disorder
By: Daria B.
10 Facts about Autism (ASD)
- Autism could cause you to have learning disabilities, social problems, and behavioral challenges
- People who have ASD don't do anything different than the people without ASD. Although, people or kids with ASD may interact, behave, and learn in different ways than others
- The learning, thinking, and problem solving ability that autistic people could possibly range from gifted to severely challenged. Meaning, autism could help their needs in good and bad ways.
- Most people with autism will need extra help with their daily activities; others are able to work on their own
- Nothing about autism steps people apart from one another
- Autism is a developmental disorder that affects the brain and can make communicating and interacting with others challenging
- Not everybody who has ASD have the same difficulties. These troubles range from mild to severe.
- About 40% of people with autism have above-average intelligence. The other 60% have low intelligence levels
- Young kids with autism have trouble understanding words and language from older speakers
Five things a Person could do to Maintain or Improve their Health
- Participate in unknown activities
This would maintain and improve peoples health because it would get them to do things they haven't done and be more open about themselves.
- Be around other people
This would maintain and improve their health because it would help them communicate and cooperate with others.
- Continue their daily routine
This would maintain and improve their health because if they stay on their daily routine they would be less distracted and confused.
- Eat healthy
This would maintain or improve their health because it would keep them healthy and they would less likely become sick.
- Exercise daily
This would help maintain and improve their health because it would keep them fit and active.
Formal/Medical Name for this Disorder:
The medical or formal name for autism is, "Autism Spectrum Disorder."
Common Name for this Disorder:
A common name for autism is "developmental disease" or it could also be "autism spectrum disease."
Definition of Disease or Disorder:
Autism is a developmental disease that effects the brain and can make communicating and interacting with people difficult.
1. Children who have a sibling(s) with ASD are at a higher risk of also having ASD (autism spectrum disease)
2. There is some evidence that the critical period for developing ASD occurs before, during, and immediately after birth.
3. Most scientists agree that genes are one of the risk factors that can make a person more likely to develop ASD.
Can anyone get this disease, or only certain groups of people? Or is it rare?
1. It is most common for boys to be diagnosed with autism (ASD) than it is for girls.
2. ASD occurs in gender, common culture/nationality, and social groups in and out of public places.
3. In a scientific test, 1 of the 68 children in a group was identified with autism (ASD).
Is this Disease a genetic condition?
Who gets this disease more often?
Someone seeing no interest in any objects (for example, a plane flying in the sky: doesn’t gain interest or look at the plane)
Doesn’t look at objects that are being pointed to
Has trouble relating with others and sees no interest in anyone else around them
Avoids eye contact and wants to be alone
Has trouble understanding other people's feelings or even talking about their own feelings
Prefers not to be held or touched
Appears to be unaware that others talk to them but are interested in other sounds
Could be very interest/satisfied with the people they play with, but won’t talk,\ or make eye contact with them
How is Autism (ASD) Diagnosed?
What is the Treatment for Autism (ASD)?
- Behavioral management therapy.
- Cognitive behavior therapy.
- Early intervention.
- Educational and school-based therapies.
- Joint attention therapy.
- Medication treatment.
- Nutritional therapy.
- Occupational therapy.
Is there a Cure for Autism? If so, what is it?
There is no known 'cure' for autism. This does not mean, however, that nothing can be done for a person with autism.