Athens High School
CLASS OF 2020 INFORMATION
Hello to the Class of 2020! I have always thought that had a very special ring to it and a special class, you are!
I hope by now you received the news from Dr. Carter regarding your graduation status. Let me take this moment to be one of the first to offer my congratulations. By no means is this the way I envisioned and hoped for this school year to end for you; however, it does eliminate some anxiety and pressure for the majority of you. I know many of you still have lingering questions. I will do my best to answer those for you now.
What about the required courses that I am currently in this semester? Do I have to complete those?
If you were passing a course at the end of the 3rd nine weeks, you will get the full credit for that course with the grade you had. For example, you had a 83 in English 12 at the end of the 3rd nine weeks- you will get a full credit for English 12 with a grade of 83. You do not have to complete any more work for those courses.
What if I was not passing a course at the end of the 3rd nine weeks?
If it is a core class or an elective needed to fulfill diploma requirements, whether it be an elective or core class, your teacher will contact you next week with a plan of action. You will be required to complete some additional work to pull your grade to passing.
Will I still get weight added for AP/honors/dual courses?
What do I do about Dual Enrollment courses?
You will complete the course/coursework according to the institution that you are taking dual enrollment. If you have any questions, please send me a direct email.
Are we required to complete an AP course and/or take the AP exam?
Stay tuned. You're AP teachers will contact you about this one.
What do I do about my MacBook and/or paying fees?
We will be sending more information out about this at a later time.
I really want to drive home the fact that the vast majority of you are in good standing and will not require any additional work and therefore are now considered a graduate. You will be contacted if you need to complete any coursework to be in good standing and eligible for graduation.
Questions still remain about Awards Day, Prom, Graduation, etc. Know that everyone is working to come up with a plan to give you all the milestones and memories that you all deserve. Much will be determined in the coming weeks. Do your part to social distance and help to flatten that curve.
Remember that I love each and every one of you. If you need me my "office hours" are as follows. I can zoom with you during these times and can email anytime you need me.
Counselor Office Hours
How do I turn in my applications?
If the instructions tell you to turn in your applications to me, you can email them to me at LauraLou.Smith@acs-k12.org or mail them to the school at 655 US Hwy 31 N. Athens, AL 35611. I had previously told some of you that we may have a drop off location. Unfortunately, we cannot offer a drop off due to Gov. Ivey's instructions. Instructions on how to scan documents on your phone are provided on the link below. Applications if mailed must be postmarked by the due date, not necessarily received.
Some applications give instructions for you to send them directly to the address listed.
What if an application requires a counselor signature and/or a transcript?
If it requires a transcript and/or my signature and you must turn it into me, I will add both of those after I receive them from you. If it requires my signature and you are mailing it elsewhere, my signature will be waived by the scholarship committee meaning it is not required any longer. If you need a copy of your transcript, request it through parchment.com and have it sent to your email. You can print off as many as needed.
All scholarships and special opportunities will be listed here in chronological order. This section will continue to grow throughout the year. Keep an eye out as new information is listed. If you see a scholarship that you are interested in and need an application, those are available in the scholarship box in the Guidance Office.
- The Margaret J. and Ira Goldberg Memorial Scholarship was created by two AHS alums to support students from Athens High School as they continue their educational journey. Seniors with a minimum 3.0 GPA, are involved in the local community, wish to attend an Alabama college, university, community college or vocational school and demonstrate a financial need are eligible. Awardees will receive up to $5,000 per year for as many as four years of undergraduate education (for a maximum total; of $20,000)! Applications available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JzeLZWyOdn483c_P4FqAb3McamYK6DMl. Deadline has been extended to apply is APRIL 10, 2020.
- The Athens-Limestone Retirees Association will award two scholarships each consisting of 1,000 to deserving students from Athens City & Limestone County Schools. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA. Applications are https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LhIHglQT1AVRp3vBbfJn5rbunJooH9u0. Deadline is APRIL 10, 2020.
- The Athens Rotary Club Scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $4,000 to one deserving senior. Students must reside in Athens or Limestone County. Selection will be made based upon merit, character, community service, leadership qualities and the potential for future professional growth. Attention will also be given to financial need. Application available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rcg8flUfxgglF06d9NgHRNgWQ8zuywTw. MAIL applications directly to Rick Mould at103 Masters Dr, Athens, AL 35613. Deadline has been extended to APRIL 30, 2020.
- The Jessica Michelle Elkins Love, Live, and Laugh Memorial Scholarship is available to graduations seniors with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and also have a need for financial assistance. The scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $1,500. Applications are available here https://drive.google.com/open?id=10WZYwTbCAsbE1tmj-wdfaKjLwcQjBSfm. Deadline is APRIL 24, 2020.
- The James & Wiletta Elmore Scholarship is available to graduations seniors with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and also have a need for financial assistance. The amount of the scholarship is $750. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JBIeJA5JeZxKlvO6u0xkJODvW4raMPHD. Deadline is APRIL 24, 2020.
- The Roy Bolton Patton Jr. Scholarship Endowment Fund will award a scholarship in the amount of $1,000. It is intended for students who have a financial need and who have a minimum 2.5 GPA. Applicants must be attending an accredited institute of high learning in the state of Alabama in Fall 2020. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TCLifzxhM617XECqlchTwmpltKZA7Ufz. Deadline is APRIL 24, 2020.
- The Martin Endowed Scholarship is available to students attending one of the following schools in the Fall of 2020: Auburn University, Calhoun Community College, University of North Alabama, University of Alabama- Huntsville, Alabama A&M University. The amount of the scholarship for 2020 will be $1,500 and is available to seniors with a minimum 3.5 GPA. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WAxU6o6oQhawXfdsRHJaCuJnH4ZyLv0h. Deadline is APRIL 24, 2020.
- The Limestone Area Community Foundation Martha Jo Leonard Memorial Scholarship will award a $1,500 scholarship to a deserving Athens High School graduating senior. A minimum 2.5 GPA is required and is intended for students who have a financial need. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W_3lN5iH-zK5yw3gfD-vLHUVQQCTP0L_. Deadline is APRIL 24, 2020.
- The Michael David Goldberg Memorial Band Endowed Scholarship is available to any senior band members. The amount of the scholarship is $500. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZFwvIm1Hn0dpz7GtXrWAbNPqsPJZcDOV. Deadline is APRIL 24, 2020.
- Athens Chapter 214 Order of the Eastern Star has a scholarship available in the amount of $500 available to one Athens City or Limestone County student. Applicants must be attending Calhoun Community College in the Fall 2020, have a minimum 2.5 GPA and a ACT score of a 16 or higher. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E43ZSkNoSK0Chd0zPmZK1V8ZNgDKWzRZt. Deadline is April 7, 2020.
- The T.R.A.I.L. Scholarship will be in the amount of $1,000 and is available to all seniors in Athens City & Limestone County schools. Applicants must have a 3.o GPA and 20 ACT or higher and plan to attend a college, trade or tech school in the fall. Special attention will be given to those who have a demonstrated history of involvement in the local community. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=12HYcx7-bKsMKnhxkB19bCVbtGUJh5LdL. Deadline is April 8, 2020.
- Dawn Corine Allfrey Scholarship- Specifically for seniors attending UNA. Applications available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wm9GwB-917f57MU7RjPT8reFKaayZVz8. Applications due to the Guidance Department by Friday, April 10, 2020.
- Margie Rose Looney Endowed Scholarship- Specifically for seniors attending UNA pursuing degrees in the College of Business or College of Nursing. Preference will be given to students with a 2.0 GPA or higher and who may not otherwise qualify for financial assistance based upon scholastic merit. Applications available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IMA72LzyhWjcen4U0M7LH9awBVKU8ZH2. Applications due to the Guidance Department by Friday, April 10, 2020.
- The Will Orman Scholarship is available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EZQ9kFz36z9QhLnrjPmvZXDjI9cWIRAu. Applications are due to Mr. Smith by April 15, 2020.
- The Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship Program will award scholarships to students all over the nation who have financial need and have exhibited integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity. Must be attending a college or technical program in the Fall of 2020 and be Pell Grant eligible. To apply go to www.application.horatioalger.org. Deadline is April 15, 2020.
- The Athens City Educators Great Expectations Scholarship is available for $1000, renewable for second year for $500. Minimum 3.0 GPA and 21 ACT to apply. Applciation available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mEnLJ8xWJJCGh2PVPZL4dgQRAVwYC_rS. Deadline is April 17, 2020.
- The Athens City Educators Future Educator Scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $500. Minimum 3.0 GPA and 21 ACT with plans to pursue an undergraduate degree in education to apply. Application available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mEnLJ8xWJJCGh2PVPZL4dgQRAVwYC_rS. Deadline is April 17, 2020.
- The Alabama Homemakers and Community Leaders of Limestone County Scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $1,000. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HSCKd4dKMIx4G0Pfzn0S9mH3Bj46Ktjw. Deadline is April 17, 2020.
- The North Alabama Educators Credit Union is making available two scholarships- one $1,500 and one $750. Students in Madison, Morgan and Limestone County are eligible. Applicant must have an account with NAECU. Applications available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sBUT51jW-GZI9y5JVPGV9RK4m_UODmQ1. Deadline is April 17, 2020.
- The Huntsville Chapter of the National Contract Management Association (NCMA) is offering the 2020 Gene Andrzejewski Scholarship to seniors pursuing a degree in acquisition, contracts, procedure management, accounting, logistics, etc. Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and live in Alabama. Application available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NKgL7zOMmi2mn37zgEeKxo42ZGSKi1Ct. Deadline is April 25, 2020.
- The Miles Blackwell Foundation's 4Miles Kindness Scholarship Program will award four graduation seniors from AHS with $750 scholarships. Applicants must be attending a post-secondary institute in Fall 2020 and must demonstrate positive-impact involvement. Applications available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kt44cR_gkGlF2bisAByiGeiH8QXbsBuf. Deadline is April 30, 2020.
- The MG Law Scholarship is a $1,000 non-renewal scholarship offered to one student nationwide. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA & submit a 45-60 second video that creates awareness around how to prevent drunk driving. To enter and for more information, visit https://www.mg4law.com/nationwide-scholarship/. Deadline is July 1, 2020.
- The City Property Management HOA Service Scholarship is available to seniors nationwide and will be awarded in the amount of $1,000. Students must have a 3.0 GPA and be pursueing an education that will lead into real estate. Go to http://cityproperty.com/phoenix#scholarship-link to apply. Deadline is July 31, 2020.
Calhoun's FAME & EPIC Deadline Extended to April 15th
The FAME and EPIC application deadline has been extended to April 15. Also our new program AMP with Machine Tool has over $40K committed in scholarships. Find out more below.
FAME - https://calhoun.edu/fame
APPLICATION DEADLINE – April 15
The Alabama F.A.M.E. (Federation for Advanced Manufacturing Education) Advanced Manufacturing Technician Program (AMT) includes a two-year technical Associate degree that combines cutting-edge curriculum that supports advanced manufacturing technology, paid working experience, along with learning highly sought after business principles and best practices of a world class manufacturer. Students make around $13.55 per hour and many are hired by the company upon graduation.
EPIC - https://calhoun.edu/epic
APPLICATION DEADLINE – April 15
The Excellence in Process Industrial Controls (EPIC) program at Calhoun Community College combines an Associate of Applied Science degree in Process Technology with two years of paid, related co-op work experience with a sponsor company. Students accepted in this competitive program typically attend class at Calhoun Community College two days per week and work on-site with a local employer three days per week. There is a high demand for process technicians. Alabama ranks fourth in the nation for the highest concentration of chemical plants and system operators with an average salary of $67,930 with the 90th percentile in the $90,000 range not including overtime or benefits, which also comes in at fourth in the nation.
AMP - https://calhoun.edu/AMP
APPLICATION DEADLINE – April 30
The Alliance for Machining Professionals (AMP) program at Calhoun Community College combines an Associate of Applied Science degree in Machine Tool Technology with two years of paid, related co-op work experience with a sponsor company. Students accepted in this competitive program typically attend class at Calhoun Community College two days per week and work on-site with a local employer three days per week. There is a high demand for machinists.
Get Started TODAY with our 5 Simple Steps to Admission at www.calhoun.edu/5SimpleSteps
Calling All Artists
Anyone interested in submitting art to be considered for the program cover for Awards Day and Graduation must do so by April 10, 2020. These programs will be keepsakes for years to come- what a great way to leave your mark at AHS!
Criteria For Design
Must be original artwork (no clip art)
Must be a detailed drawing
Must include the eagle and graduation year
Draw on 1/2 sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 11 folded in half)
Drawing must be appropriate size
How to Order a Cap & Gown
By now, you need to have ordered your cap & gown. If you have not, you will have to order online. Balfour will no longer come to the school to accept orders. If you only would like to order a cap and gown, you can do it HERE (www.balfoursrc.com). Click on "Make a Payment" > click on "Athens High School" > fill out all of the information including height & weight > pay the $103.55 for the cap and gown plus a convenience fee for using a credit or debit card.
If you would like to order OTHER senior stuff (announcements, gear, etc.) plus your cap and gown, you need to click HERE (www.balfour.com). Search "Athens High School" and follow directions from there.If you have any further questions, you can contact our Balfour representatives at (423) 265-2060.