Adult First Aid/CPR
by Emma Matus
Safety Tips for CPR
- Place victim flat on his/her back on a hard surface
Look, listen, and feel for breathing (5-10 seconds)
Head-tilt/chin-lift - open victims' airway by tilting their head back with one hand while lifting up their chin with your other hand.
- Check responsiveness by gently shaking a shoulder and shouting, "are you alright?"
If breaths won't go in, reposition head and try again to give breaths. If still blocked, perform abdominal thrusts (Heimlich maneuver)
Always call 911
Safety Tips for First Aid
- For external bleeding, cover wounds with sterile bandage and apply more dressings and bandages until the bleeding has stopped
- For conscious choking, give 5 back blows, and 5 chest thrusts
- For unconscious choking, give rescue breath and then 30 chest compressions
- For head, neck, and spinal injuries, minimize the movement of the injured part and stabilize the head
- Call 911 or emergency number