Cucurbita Pepo species - Jazmin Barragan
Acorn squashes are filled with nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin B-6, fiber, and is very high in antioxidants. These nutrients promote the immune and skeletal system, strengthens bones and teeth, and boosts metabolism. The nutrients in acorn squash also helps prevent strokes, depression, diabetes, lowers risk of cancer, and supports eye health
Pork Stuffed Acorn Squash
1 small acorn squash (about 1 pound total)
6 ounces lean ground pork or turkey
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
dash of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 slice raisin bread or whole wheat bread, cubed (3/4 cup)
2. Meanwhile, for stuffing, in a skillet cook pork, celery, and onion until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat. Stir in salt, curry powder, and cinnamon; cook 1 minute more. Stir in applesauce and bread cubes.
3. Turn squash cut side up in dish. Place stuffing in squash halves. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes more. Makes 2 servings.
- Remove seeds from center and use to toast
- Use a sturdy knife to cut
- Place in microwave oven for 2 minutes to make it easier to cut
Filippone, Peggy Trowbridge. "Acorn Squash Cooking Tips." Home Cooking. Web. 04 May 2015. <http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/acorncooktips.htm>.
"Pork-Stuffed Acorn Squash." Recipe.com. Recipes, n.d. Web. 04 May 2015. <http://www.recipe.com/pork-stuffed-acorn-squash/>.
Rolek, Barbara. "Squash: Basic Facts and Cooking Tips." About Food. Web. 04 May 2015. <http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/vegetables/a/squash.htm>.
"The Purple Carrot Project Community Gardens." : Downtown Farmers' Market and Acorn Squash. Web. 04 May 2015. <http://thepurplecarrotproject.blogspot.com/2011/11/downtown-farmers-market-and-acorn.html>.