Friday January 28th
Kindest Kansas Citian
It’s time again for the annual KINDEST KANSAS CITIAN ESSAY CONTEST. It is a one-page drawing (K-2) or essay (3-5) demonstrating the positive impact the nominee has made on the student’s life, written by the student. Contest judges are looking to identify kind acts that come from the heart. ENTRIES ARE OPTIONAL. The contest rules are included in the essay packet attached.
Changes for this year include submitting the entries online. This will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian or the student (link below). The contest’s due date is Friday, February 18th. This is set by the contest, so I cannot extend the due date like in previous years. Required information for submission includes: student name, grade, age, home address; parent/guardian name and phone number; an email address that will be checked; nominee’s first and last name, relation to student, and email. Once the drawing or essay is complete and you have the required information, please submit it at: https://kindestkansascitian.org/public-essay-submission?teacher_id=606
If you have any questions, please let Ms. Munsey know. firstname.lastname@example.org
First Grade Performance Date Change
Upcoming Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent-Teacher Conferences will take place February 16th-17th, 2022. Currently, we are allowing parent choice of in-person or virtual (Zoom) meetings. District recommendations may change closer to conference dates and will be communicated in advance.
In an effort to keep everyone as healthy as possible, families are encouraged to participate in virtual conferences, via Zoom. When applicable, teachers will send needed documents home prior to conferences, for review and discussion during the conferences. If you prefer an in-person conference, please select or note such on the sign-up. In-person conferences require masks and social distancing. Additionally, should you feel ill within the five days immediately prior to the conference, please contact Lisa O'Donnell in the Riverview office to indicate your preference for a virtual meeting. Lisa may be reached at LODonnell@usd232.org
The conference sign up links will be sent out within the next few days. If you have questions, please reach out. We look forward to discussing your child’s progress with you.
Library Volunteers Needed
Hot off the Presses.....Sign-up for your Yearbook NOW
Yearbooks are now on sale
Online Yearbook Sales Only!
Online Ordering Ends: Friday, March 11th, 2022
Softcover Color $17.00
To order your yearbook visit:
And enter code 64699M
USD 232 Preschool Enrollment for the 2022-2023 School Year!
USD 232 offers high quality preschool programs for children, ages 3 to 5, that are not yet kindergarten eligible. All programs are half-day, have low student to adult ratios and use research-based curriculums tied to the Kansas Early Learning Standards. Preschool programs are located in the NEW Cedar Trails Exploration Center at the corner of Mize Blvd & 83rd St., next to Mill Creek Middle School. Grant funded (FREE) preschool spots are available for students who qualify. Transportation (busing) will also be available for grant funded spots and special education services.
Preschool Enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year begins on February 21, 2022. On that date, an online application will be available via the USD 232 Early Childhood website at https://www.usd232.org/Page/9209. Paper applications are also available within Cedar Trails Exploration Center (Lenexa, KS) and Starside Elementary (De Soto, KS) offices. All applications must be submitted to the Cedar Trails Office by March 4, 2022 at 4pm, to be considered in the first round of enrollment.
For more information, please visit https://www.usd232.org/Page/8960
Contact the Cedar Trails Office at 913-667-1820 with questions.
Navigating COVID at School
Good news!! We can now test symptomatic students who are onsite in our district buildings! Parental consent must be obtained in writing prior to testing. Tests go through MAWD laboratories and can take 24-72 hours for results to be received. Parents receive these results via email, your school nurses DO NOT receive results.
If your child needs to be excluded from school due to symptoms of COVID your options are:
1) Have your child tested for COVID with a PCR or Molecular test (Antigen tests are not accepted!!) We can do this at the school if they become symptomatic while at school (see above). Otherwise they will need to be tested outside of school.
2) Have a doctor diagnosis your child with something other than COVID and provide a doctor’s note (see below for what constitutes a properly written doctor’s note).
3) Opt your child out of school for 5-days, if you don’t want to test them for COVID or see a doctor.
Returning to school procedure: Riverview Nurses HAVE to review your child’s test results before they are allowed back in school!! We do not automatically receive the MAWD results. You need to give them to us.
· JOCO Schools only accept COVID PCR and Molecular tests.
o Please verify prior to your child being tested that it is only done with a PCR or Molecular test.
· All Test results sent to us MUST contain original lab results, the students name and date of birth, and test type (PCR or Molecular).
· We DO NOT accept a doctor’s note stating a COVID PCR or molecular test was negative.
o Only the original lab report is accepted per the JOCO Health department.
Return to School Date for Students Quarantined or with a Positive COVID test:
· The JOCO Health department and/or DeSoto District Health Department Liaison will tell you your child’s return to school date.
· Riverview Nurses can’t allow your child to return to school till that date has been communicated directly to us by the District Liaison or the JOCO Health department.
o Please consult with us prior to dropping your child off at school on their first eligible return date. If we haven’t confirmed with you their return to school date your student cannot attend class, if they arrive at school they will be pulled form class and sent home for the day.
Doctors Notes: How to obtain a properly written return to school note! This seems like an easy thing, but we call physician’s offices daily requesting a properly written note. We can’t let your child back into the building if the return to school note does not contain the proper information.
Properly written Doctor’s note (as accepted by JOCO Health department and District):
All doctor’s notes must have a diagnosis stated, be signed by the doctor, and have the student’s name and DOB.
· Ex: Susie Smith was seen in our office today for a sore throat and runny nose, and diagnosed with strep throat. Student may return to school when fever free and on antibiotics for 24-hrs.
An Improperly Written Doctors Note:
· Susie Smith was seen in our office today for a sore throat, may return to school when fever free.
o This will be rejected because there is no diagnosis.
· Student was seen in our office today for a sore throat, COVID PCR test was negative.
o This will be rejected because there is no diagnosis given.
o This will be rejected because a copy of the actual lab results were not provided.
DO NOT send your child to school unless Nurse Emily or Nurse Jodi have reviewed lab results and/or the doctor’s return to school note!!
o If we don’t have COVID PCR test results or a properly written doctor’s note in hand before your child comes to school, your child will be pulled from class and sent home until the proper documentation is received. This is a stressful situation for you and your child. We don’t like having to pull a healthy student from class.
COVID Symptoms: Students are sent home or excluded from school if they have one primary or two secondary symptoms of COVID.
· New Cough
· Difficulty Breathing
· Loss of Taste/Smell
· Fever or chills (staff & Jr/Sr. High students)
· Runny Nose
· Fever or Chills
· Sore Throat
· Muscle Ache or Body Aches
Looking for Something To Try
Calling All New Kinders
Music Performance Changes
We are writing to share updated procedures surrounding our music performances. The goal is to begin the process of returning to as much normalcy as possible with respect to in-person attendance for families. These procedures will be revisited as necessary. As of January 3, 2021:
· There will be an evening performance of all remaining elementary grade level music programs and choir concerts scheduled during second semester.
· At this time, two (2) guests per performer will be permitted to attend indoor, evening performances. This procedure will be revisited in the coming weeks.
· Currently, all attendees and performers will be masked for indoor performances, as of January 3. If the public health order regarding masks changes, this protocol will be updated.
· Weather permitting, performances may be moved outdoors at the discretion of the music teacher and administrator. If performances are held outdoors, masks are optional with no limit on family attendance.
· At this time, performances held during the school day will continue with audience members being limited to staff and students.
· A recording and/or livestream of each performance will be provided to the performers’ families.
We appreciate your understanding as we take steps to allow for more in-person events for families.
USD 232 District Administration
USD 232 Elementary Music Teachers
Messages From PTA
Parent Helpers Needed
The RE staff is stretched thin these days and could really use some extra help with the morning and afternoon car loops! Please consider signing up for a slot!
If you cannot help with the car loop, another great way to support the staff is to help them out with school supplies (items like new pencils, expo markers, construction paper, clorox wipes)! You can ask your teacher for their most-needed items or check out their Amazon Wish Lists.
Sweetheart Dance Date Change
Out of an abundance of caution, we have rescheduled the Sweetheart dance for Friday, March 4th from 6-8pm. Stay tuned for more details about this fun event!
Third Grade on Up Lacrosse Info.....
Peanut FREE School.....Reminder
Thank you again for helping keep all the kiddos here at RE safe and healthy!
Making a Difference Award
Coming Up at RE:
February 14th- Valentines Party
February 16th- 1/2 Day of School-First Night of Parent Teacher conferences
February 17th- NO SCHOOL Parent Teacher Conferences
February 18 & 21- NO SCHOOL
Want to Stay Informed? Sign Up for schoolNEWS ALERT
Sign up for Text Alerts
Receive emergency information, school closings, early dismissals and administrative reminders on your mobile device. This text and email service is free, but check with your mobile provider as text messaging and data rates may apply.
To subscribe >> https://www.usd232.org/Domain/83
Community partner Country Club Bank is providing support to ensure this service is available in USD 232.
Here you will find some summer camps and activities right here at Riverview as well as throughout the district.
The BOE-Approved USD 232 Student and Family Handbook can answer parent questions on a variety of topics.