SAGE continues to be a highlight for our students each week! Our students are heavily involved with their Unit of Study, Affective Learning, Project-based Learning projects, and much, much more. We are excited to share that our First Tech Challenge teams participated in their first-ever FTC Meet. The teams placed in 5th and 7th place! The FTC qualifier will be held in January. We are so proud of these 7th and 8th grade teams!
Please also cheer on the First Lego League Robotics teams (6th-8th grades) who will be competing December 12th here at the NIC. The top two qualifying teams will compete December 15th in Lawrence, KS. We'll keep you posted on their accomplishments!
Thank you to all of our parents for coming out to the Parent Ed Camp, the Learning Expo for middle school students, and to the K-2nd grade Showcase! It's been a busy month and we appreciate your time and support of your child and the SAGE Center!
Please feel free to follow "NKC SAGE" on Twitter or Facebook to see the weekly happenings here at the SAGE Center!
Have a Wonderful Holiday Break!
Parent Ed Camp
Illuminate the Way-Behavior Expectations
MS Service Learning & SAGE Start Up Classes
Clothes Drive - Donate lightly used clothes for the Clay County Clothes Closet
Warmth Drive - Donate hats, gloves, towels, blankets, or hygiene products for Synergy Services
Feel free to drop off donations to the SAGE Center. Donations accepted through Mon., 12/10.
Students in SAGE Start Up (entrepreneurial class) will be selling various products between 12/7 - 12/14 week between 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. Students are allowed to bring $ in to purchase lip balm, drink coasters, etc. Proceeds will go to various organizations as a part of service learning.
When Are Elementary SAGE Conferences?
Progress Reports from SAGE will be provided during the conferences in January.
SAGE Center Dates to Remember!
Wed., Dec. 12th - First Lego League Robotics tournament (NIC) 4:30 p.m.-7 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 12th - PAGS Mtg. 5:30 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 15th - FLL Robotics Qualifier Competition (Lawrence, KS)
Thurs., Dec. 20th - No Early Release - Middle School dismisses at 1:45 p.m.; Elementary dismisses at 3 p.m.
Fri., Dec. 21st - Quarter Ends
Fri., Dec. 21st - No SAGE
Fri., Dec. 21st - PEGS Winter Party 10:20 a.m.
Dec. 24 - Jan. 4 Winter Break
Mon., Jan 7 - PEGS & SAGE Resumes*
Wed., Jan. 9th - PAGS Mtg. 5:30 p.m.
Tues., Jan. 15th - K - 5 SAGE Conferences 3:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 16th - K - 5 SAGE Conferences 3:30 -7:30 p.m.
Thurs., Jan. 17th - 3 - 5 grades SAGE Conferences 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Mon., Jan. 21 - No School MLK Jr. Day
*Due to new schedule rotations at the middle schools, NM, NG, and MP students will resume SAGE classes on 1/14 & 1/15.
Updates from the SAGE Office
- Visitors: As a reminder, all Parents, Friends, and Visitors are asked to enter / exit through the South door of the Center - near the 1st floor circle drive. The south door provides a door bell so the SAGE Staff ensures that they can greet you when you arrive. Parking is temporarily available in the Circle Drive. Please avoid arrival and dismissal times.
- Late Arrival: If your child arrives late to SAGE, please enter through the South door of the Center. Parents should sign the student in at the Office. Attendance will be shared with the home school.
- Drop Off: Please do not drop students off or enter through the east-facing doors (main doors) of the NIC. This is an unsecured entrance and is not monitored by the SAGE staff.
- Need the Nurse: When your child becomes ill, he/she should see our SAGE Nurse. Nurse Tilsworth will then contact the parent if the student needs to go home. Please remind your child to see the Nurse, rather than text/call you during school when they are not feeling well.
- Lunch: SAGE lunch times are listed below. If you’re eating lunch at the SAGE Center with your child, please remember parents may sit at a designated table with his/her child. You may also bring food for only your child. Food may not be shared or purchased for other children.
- Lunch Accounts: Lunch accounts may be kept up to date by visiting the "My Payments Plus" link below. Free and Reduced Lunch applications are also available.
Thank you for adhering to the above policies and procedures.
If Its Lost, We've Probably Found It!
News from the Nurse
In order to prevent the spread of illness at school, we need your help! If your child has a fever, vomits, or has diarrhea during the evening or night, per district policy, please DO NOT send your child to school the next day. When to return to school:
- Keep all children home for a full 24 hours after symptoms of illness have subsided.
- Children sent home with a temperature of 100 degrees or higher, or sent home due to vomiting or diarrhea must stay home the following day.
- Fevers must be gone for 24 hours without the aid of medication (Tylenol, Motrin, etc.).
- If children are prescribed an antibiotic (for strep, pink eye, etc.) they must take it for 24 hours before returning to school.
- A medication authorization form must be filled out by the child's doctor before antibiotics can be taken at school.
Please also keep in mind that if your child is absent due to illness, in order for them to be excused, you will be required to provide documentation from a physician stating that your child was seen. If you have any questions, please contact the Nurse's Office at 816-321-5350.
What Time Does SAGE Begin and End?
PEGS - 8:25 a.m. - 3:20 p.m. (Thursday, 2:50 p.m.)
6th grades - 8:30 a.m. - 1:45 p.m. (Thursday, 1:15 p.m.)
7th & 8th grades Middle School - 9:30 a.m. - 1:45 p.m.
K - 5th Elementary - 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. (Thursday, 2:30 p.m.)
SAGE Lunch Times
6th, 7th, & 8th grades - 11 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
K - 2nd grades - 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
3rd, 4th, & 5th grades - 12:20 - 12:50 p.m.
PEGS - 12:25 p.m. - 12:55 p.m. (M-Th) 11:55-12:25 p.m. (F)
On several days of the week, the SAGE Cafeteria is a busy place! Due to minimal space, when visiting your child for lunch, you will be asked to sit at a Parent-Designated table with only your child. Thank you for your flexibility as we accommodate the various lunch shifts.
How Can I Stay Current?
Please like our page at: NKC SAGE.
You can still follow us on Twitter @NKC_SAGE. Please also watch for periodic emails or phones calls from the Center.
The SAGE Center latest news and information can be found throughout the week on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.nkcschools.org - click on SAGE Center (Gifted).